1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel Lineup Changes

Discussion in 'Knives' started by TheInsideOutsider, Jan 19, 2015.

1. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

So I was perusing an online knife dealer and curiously noted that many CS mainstays (such as various Recon 1 models) were not just out of stock but totally absent from the site. I went to the official CS website and checked out their New For 2015 offerings. It looks like they have a bunch of new blades but what surprised me is that they seem to be giving AUS-8 the boot. Most of the knives previously sporting AUS-8 will now have CTS-XHP or BD-1. I'm sure we will hear much more about it soon since SHOT Show starts today.

I have mixed feelings about the change. On the one hand it's nice to see they are trying some new and (particularly in the case of XHP) better steels. However it's clear that the prices are going up to match as well.

2. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

The only CS I've ever owned is the SRK Carbon V (Ventura California made, got in passaround box) and I love it. I've not tried any of their folders, well, because there are other knife brands I know I like that sport AUS-8. I just got my first CTS-XHP blade (Spydie Techno) last month and I love it, so this might spur me to try something from them now.

3. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

I'm really excited for the CS 4Max. It's pretty much a mid tech Demko AD-10. Gotta start saving up for it, and most of the 2015 CRKT lineup...

4. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel listened to criticism and moved up the steel which is great.

however, THEY STILL DON'T GET HOW TO MAKE A USA MADE BLADE! So I don't care what they are made out of.

(to clarify I'm not opposed to off shore offerings, but if they only produce overseas I'm just not interested)

5. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Their old carbon V was sooooo good.

I would love to see them bring back the old ProLites, put G10 on them, and give it a CTS-XHP blade. That wouldn't suck.

6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

From time to time I consider getting a Cold Steel folder, but they are hard to come by around here, and because of shipping cost I like to order several items or wait for a good deal if ordering from the US. In short, the opportunity hasn't really come along yet.
    All though I never quite decided, I have mostly gravitated to the Mini Recon in CTS-XHP.
    Today this "knife project" popped into my head again, and I went over to their site to re-assess which model to be more suitable for my needs.
    To my surprise many of their "mini" offerings (including mini Recon) were gone, and so were many of their CTS-XHP offerings.
    This was a little set back. I didn't find their current lineup very interesting