1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel Knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by iplaysthedrums, Apr 3, 2014.

1. iplaysthedrums

iplaysthedrums Loaded Pockets

I rarely see much mention of cold steel knives around here. I am very interested in owning one, but want to hear what edcf has to say. Post pics if you wish.

Sent from a Galaxy Note 2 far far away...

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

My experience with Cold Steel products have been limited mostly to their fixed-blade knives, but they do use good steel. The steel I used to make the first knife I ever made was cut from an old Cold Steel machete and boy, that's some good stuff.

3. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

IMO, they are probably the best foreign made company.
    They have some good products, and then some of those meh products.
    They gear a lot towards martial arts.
    I remember awhile back hearin things about how Lynn Thompson (CEO of Cold Steel) had some shady business practices, but IDK if it was conclusive.

4. Havoc

Havoc Loaded Pockets

The triad lock, while incredibly strong, is pretty stiff to use. For a lockback, that extra stiffness just made it too unwieldy for me. Other than that though, the g10 on the Recon One is still to this day my favorite, and the steel, while not top end is as good as I could expect for the price range.

If you want a low budget knife to beat the snot out of, they're a good choice. I wouldn't edc one though.

5. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

They're decent beater knifes, and do the best heat treat of AUS-8 I've seen. My Recon Tanto is my favorite garden knife, because I can cut, pry, dig, and whatever else I want to do, without caring if something breaks. And due to how Cold Steel over builds everything, it probably won't.
    Now, they're not the best cutters, slicers, choppers, or stabbers. You can get a lot better blade for the price. But if what you want is a sharpened prybar, they're hard to beat for the price.

Cobra 6 Actual and mole like this.
  6. iplaysthedrums

I do really love the design of the knives. There are so many models, I never know which one to go for.
    Anyone have experience with the code 4?

7. Palladium

Palladium Empty Pockets

I like my Caledonian Edge with its San Mai III laminated blade.
    [​IMG]

8. iplaysthedrums

Beautiful knife.

9. Wydern

Wydern Loaded Pockets

Yes, I have had(and sold) a code 4. Great knife, great lock, great price. I just didn't find myself edcing it much due to size.

10. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

Here's my issue with Cold Steel..i've seen some reaaaally cheap knives from them..up to some pretty decently priced knives..its hard to tell since ive never owned one..maybe i'll give one a shot. suggestions?

11. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I have some, a recon tanto,schmitar spike,newer style tanto spike and a mini tac with a serated.
    I've never used them hard but they seem like good quality and there really sharp.

12. iplaysthedrums

I'm in your boat. I've been looking at the large and extra large voyagers, as well as the recon series.

13. WichitaJLJ
    • In Omnia Paratus

WichitaJLJ Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel makes excellent products. Go for it :)

I've owned several of their knives ranging from their cheapo's to some of their more expensive products (about 10 total items). All were scary sharp from the box, finished well, and locked up tight; especially the triad lock.

I do not have a complaint about any of them and will continue to buy from them (Lone Star hunter is probably my next one).

14. iplaysthedrums

Any model in particular that really stuck out and grabbed your attention?

15. Auxiliaryjohn

Auxiliaryjohn Loaded Pockets

I still have a Recon-1 combo edge that was made in Japan with a clip point black blade. One of the best old knives I have, I got it back in the late 90's for $55.00 new.

It and a Spyderco Clipit.

[​IMG]

16. iplaysthedrums

Great looking knife.

17. WichitaJLJ
    • In Omnia Paratus

WichitaJLJ Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel's bread and butter is really strong, capable "tactical" knives. They are very no nonsense is letting consumers know what their knives are designed for use as a defensive tool . Many people do not like this marketing and hence do not like Cold Steel. They are not as polished as Spyderco or Benchmade, but they offer outstanding value.

I am someone who gravitates to the 3.5 to 4 inch blade length for EDC. In that role my favorites are the Rajah III, The Large Voyagers (Vaquero and Clip point), and the AK47 are my favorites. The Kudu IMHO, is the perfect camping/fishing folder as is is light, big, and really inexpensive. I have one in my backpack, my tackle box, and both my fiancée's an my vehicles.

The one that has grabbed my attention the most of any other blade however is the Spartan. It is legal to carry in my state and I do often when out traveling around. It locks with the most authoritative snap I have ever heard on a folder. It is big, strong, relatively light for its size, and the handle shape lets you hand completely envelope it (think Spyderco Junior on steroids.)

The lock strength of the triad is no joke. I own axis lock folders and compression lock folders and while these are much quicker in hand and more user friendly I donot have the same confidence in them that I do in the triad.

The Code 4 you mentioned is a great knife as well, I just love the mix of old school and new school tactical on the Lone Star Hunter. :D

18. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Let me start out by saying, there is nothing wrong with Cold Steel (im going to talk about their folders and knives that would be edc-able) I like a lot of their knifes, and they sure are tough as heck.

That being said, I don't really see the point in them. Or really any "heavy duty" folder for that matter. If I anticipate needing a prybar, I will take, a prybar. If I need a knife that can handle a lot of stress, one that I can beat on hard, I'm taking a fixed blade. Just the way I see it. Cold steel's knifes, although good at what they are, are just too heavy and impractical for my needs.

19. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I have owned a bunch of Cold Steel knives in my time. Except for the Kudu (I was posting the same time as Wichita I swear, LOL), I have yet to have one fail on me. I have owned at one point in time these knives (and more, just off the top of my head).... SRK, Trailmaster, Taipan, Master Tanto, Recon Tanto (original model), Bushman, Outdoorsman, Outdoorsman lite, all three Pendleton knives, Rio Grande, Scimitar, safekeeper 1 & 2, most of their Tomahawks models, Warrior Series Katana, Otanto, and most of their machetes.. These are knives made to be abused. People in this forum can be a little rough on the cheaper steels like AUS8 that are used in Cold Steels products, but like someone else mentioed before, they do a great job of hardening their knives and how you treat steel goes a long way into a good knife.

I wanted to be clear, the Kudu knife that failed on me, failed at the ring where you "unlock" the knife. This was an early model and I heard the issue was resolved with newer models, but I never had enough love for that model to find out. As it seems Wichita has had good luck with them, I wouldn't let me scare you off from that model.

But to state it again, I have had great luck with their knives over the years. If you are interested in one, buy it. Based on my experience you won't be disappointed.

Edit: Rio Grande = Vaquero.. I was thinking of another knife. LOL.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Apr 3, 2014
  20. cole3418

cole3418 Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel makes some really great knives. They are also doing a few thing that other knife makers are not doing like their very large folding knives. I own the Cold Steel Code 4. It is fantastic and has basically lived in my pocket everyday since I bought it about 3 months ago.

[​IMG]