1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Vic303, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife

This knife has a very attractive price point, and appears to be a copy of a Russell design. It is a small utility sized belt knife. The blade has a slight rocker curve to the cutting edge and a notched area on the blade spine for your thumb to rest. The steel used is a lesser known German stainless. The handle is a nylon or plastic material that is tapered and slim, but rather slippery to grip. I do not care for the handle material used—I wish it was either textured or rubberized to improve grip. It comes with a nylon sheath that will fit on your belt. The sheath is stiffened to hold shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I confess I was not overly impressed on the esthetics of this knife. The handle & blade shape sort of put me off. But upon examination, I found it did come hair-popping sharp out of the box! So I decided to give it a try. Not being in anyplace more ‘wild’ than suburbia currently, I opted for the kitchen test. I have been using it for several days in the kitchen for general food prep chores. It has done a decent job in my kitchen, chopping pork ribs apart, and slicing various veggies. However, the edge is no longer sharp enough to shave hair. Still, it isn’t damaged by common use, so I suspect it will resharpen easy enough.

I would not personally carry it as a survival/belt knife. I don’t think either the knife or the edge is durable enough for that. However it is reasonably well suited for camp kitchen chores and is light enough it is not a burden to add to a camp kit. And at does have that extra-attractive price! You can get one at www.EDCDepot.com for $12.50 plus shipping.

2. DUQ

DUQ Loaded Pockets

The desing seems to be an offshoot of a beaver knife, hence the reason why its called a "Canadian"

Attached Files:

3. StandOnGuard

StandOnGuard Loaded Pockets

It looks to be a copy of the Grohmann line, a Canadian company.

4. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

There are lots of companies that offer "Canadian" skinner knives...a style that has been used here forever...
    Bark River Knife and Tool is one that comes to mind that offers several "Canadian" models....

That knife is definately a "Grohmann" style knife...it's a design that is very unique to that company.