1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cold Steel American Lawman - other options

Discussion in 'Knives' started by yatsunil, Apr 13, 2014.

1. yatsunil

yatsunil Loaded Pockets

Hi guys. Recently I've been looking at the CS AL. Was just wondering if there are similar options available with similar specs and pricing. Will probably use it as a light camp knife. A bit too big at 3.5" for my EDC. Cheers!

2. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

Have you considered a small fixed blade? Esee Izula can be found for a little less, the kabar becker necker, or the kabar eskabar . I can't think of any beefy folders around that price point. Hope this helped!

3. yatsunil

yatsunil Loaded Pockets

Yeah. I've thought about a small fixed blade. But chances are that there will already be a full sized fixed blade around so this will be a sort of back up or second knife for when that that blade is being used by someone else. Still, thanks for the suggestion.

4. fkmtb07

fkmtb07 Loaded Pockets

For a sturdy backup camp knife that won't break the bank, a Rat 1 could be good. Same steel at the CS, same country of origin, but a bit cheaper and a different locking mechanism.

5. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Mini-AK-47?

[​IMG]

It's a 2 3/4" blade, so small and cute.

I don't have one myself, but maybe one day...

Gravy likes this.
  6. Havoc

Havoc Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco LW Manix 2 in S110V has recently hit the shelves. I don't have mine yet but there's no better steel on the market, and your not buying a $500 custom to get it ($110). Its linerless with FRN handles making it very thin (0.45") and light (3oz). Its got a strong cage lock, and a 3.37" blade.

This knifes an incredible steal for what your getting. It's going to be a game changer to get this steel on such a tried and true knife for a extremely low cost.

Freman likes this.
  7. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Ontario Rat II

PPCApache likes this.
  8. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Mini-Lawman?

9. chrisk91

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

Mini Recon sounds perfect for you. 3 inch CS Triad goodness.

At ~$50, you cannot get a stronger, more well-designed knife than the American Lawman. The high hollow grind cuts like the dickens, the G10 is insanely grippy, the lock is crazy strong, and the clip carries decently deep. Bit, the coating sucks and the clip shreds the pocket. If you're willing to take some time, strip the coating and sand under the clip, this knife is even more amazing for just $50.

The AL is my second favorite knife besides the PM2, and i'm thinking about picking another one up, for back-up sake. I'm not a guy that even buys backups, the only knife I have two of is the PM2! That should tell enough about the execution of the American Lawman.

10. yatsunil

yatsunil Loaded Pockets

Tks for your honest appraisal of the AL. I know about the blade coating and the clothes shredding ability of the clip/G10. If I do get one, these will be the first areas I'll work on.
    It seems that this Lawman will be making his way to me very soon!!!

11. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Totally agree I have the Ontario Rat M2 in black and it is my main EDC knife.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk