1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coins - how do you carry them?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Goliath, Aug 30, 2006.

1. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Loose in my pocket, until I get home then I sort the quarters out for laundry (and a couple in my car ashtray for meters) and the rest for Coinstar.
    I have enough jangly metal stuff in my pockets without the loose change!

2. misterdirk

misterdirk Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Squeeze It design. I've used those since I bought my first one at a swap meet in '67. It's a very nifty way to manage loose change.

3. chicken0207

chicken0207 Loaded Pockets

I have a built in coin purse on my wallet.

Chicken0207

4. hotfoot

hotfoot Loaded Pockets

I also use the Chawly Changer to try to minimize on carrying loose coins in the pocket. It's limited in the number of coins per value: 3 quarters, 4 dimes, 4 pennies, 3 nickles.

A modification allows you to carry more coins though. You'll notice that the quarter slot can hold nickles -- and the penny slot can hold dimes. So you only need the quarter and penny slots. Take 2 Chawly Changers and saw them in half so that you only use the quarter and penny half. Glue 2 halves of them together and now you can carry up to 6 quarters plus 8 dimes or other combinations thereof. The modified change holder is only slightly larger than the original. (Nickles are slightly thicker than quarters so you can only carry 2 nickles in the quarter slot... unless you shove them in.)

5. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I have been doing the exact change thing for a while now, using the spec ops THE wallet's coin zipper. I don't have any change lying around now, and I'm sure I saved some money as I am not using coin-to-cash pay services.

6. Julian1066

Julian1066 Empty Pockets

I use a brown leather "tray purse" sometimes called a "horseshoe purse." It opens up and forms a tray to slide the coins out to choose what you need to use. Then it folds up and holds shut by friction. My dad carried one for years and I thought it would be a convenient way to tote my change around in. Nowadays the good ones are made in the UK but you can get a decent one here in USA for less than $l5.

7. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Right now im pondering getting a walk on water wallet. Or wallet may be the wrong word, as its basically a zipped up neoprene bag with a 3 slot credit card holder inserted...

8. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this...I had never seen one before and just ordered it!

9. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

I use one of those - black leather. The tray is very convenient.

10. Scorpion Regent

Scorpion Regent Empty Pockets

I put my loose change into the spring loaded coin holders in the center console of my truck and grab a handful every time I go to buy something.  I will tend to give exact change if I can or at least round off with pennies.  I have a piggy bank of sorts at home, every so often I raid it.  The automated check out at the supermarket will take all sorts of change including pennys and so does the stamp machine at the post office, it pays back change in dollar coins. 

I used to carry change in a plastic container for 35mm film and pack in a little dryer lint or waste paper on the bottom to keep down the rattle.

I never use the coin machine at the store, you lose seven cents on the dollar, that's like a tax on stupidity. 

11. mbiraman

mbiraman Empty Pockets

I'm canadian and live in the mnts of bc. Ever since canada got rid of paper 1 and 2 dollars and put out loonie and twonie coins our pockets have gotten allot heavier. Every time i come back from town i take any and put them in a plastic honey container. After a few months i look inside , count out enough $$ to buy an EDC light or knife then i don't look for another few months.

12. mjmcdowell

mjmcdowell Empty Pockets

I have carried a Mission wallet for years, have worn out two plain leather ones, my latest I splurged and got a shark skin one. Change an single$ go in the zippered part a small clip knife in one outside part and a red fisher bullet pen in the other, cards, (non critical kind) in the other side, works for me, left front pocket. Rear hip pocket, minimal wallet with a few photos, critical cards, larger bill's, pistol permit, drivers license, yada, yada. Other pockets, other stuff. Check out "Blade art" website neat stuff, check out the change pouches, double duty ones. stay safe, MJMcDowell

13. Lio

Lio Loaded Pockets

I use a small, zippered leather pouch that i bought in a local market-place, i even can conceal a Ladybug in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I use a leather, squeeze coin purse, they last a long time and don't tale much pocket space.
    Here's a link for a picture coin purse

15. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I switched from a THE to a THE JR. Now I just pocket carry loose change. I don't think its important exactly how you carry, but rather that you remember to spend it.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

For me, the main issue with coins is weight. Hate sagging pockets. I carry two quarters on me, always. In case I need to use a payphone... and can find a working one. (So far, only two near my job). I have a cellphone, but hate using it.

I empty out my pockets once a week, and leave all but the two quarters behind.

17. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Another solution to the coin problem is to simply learn how not to accumulate them in the first place. www.changecard.com shows you how to always keep your pocket change down to at most 10 coins.

10 coins is the minimum number of coins you need to make exact change for any amount from 1 to 99 cents (4 pennies, 3 quarters, 2 dimes, and 1 nickel). They sell a card to hold the coins, but you don't need to use it - you just need to learn the system.

With a little practice, you can learn how to never have more than 10 coins in your pocket. They even provide a game to help you learn the system. No more dumping your pockets into a large jar at the end of the day.

It just takes basic arithmetic and a little patience. A lot of people would probably consider it too much of a hassle, but people like me who are obsessed with finding a better way to deal with coins will love it! ;D

18. jake.t

jake.t Empty Pockets

I never carry coins as it may damage something/things in my pockets

19. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

thats why people carry coin holders as well as keeping them all together.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-fold-an-origami-purse-210862/

i did take a coin purse from a purse back in the day it was small and had an africa theme so it didnt look very feminine but now i let them hang loose.

20. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only type of pants or shorts I have are woolrich tactical. Which have ten pockets so I have one just for change which usually goes in my car when I get to much in there