1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coins - how do you carry them?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Goliath, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Hatinthering

Hatinthering Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying this one for a couple of months now...

[​IMG]    [​IMG]

Its 3 1/2" wide by 3" tall. Its made of leather and has a spring steel closure at the top. You open it by squeezing the sides
    of the top together. Its works great as I've had no coins fall out of it. It rides in the pocket nicely, and is quite flat if you empty
    your excess coins out occasionally.

I purchased it on Amazon for $4.95 plus shipping. Do a search on Amazon for:  Squeeze Coin Pouch by CTM.

Rob

2. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I have something like the CoinBoy that I keep in my truck. I have stopped using it. Here's why... I run into the problem constantly of some slots being completely filled with its designated coin while others remails empty. At that time, I have to find a place to place those coins that no longer fit in the CoinBoy. Also, mine is large, about the size of a styrofoam coffee cup. It is spring activated. The more full the slots are with coins, the easier it is for the coins to come out because of the tension placed on the spring from all the coins. When there are very few coins, it is hard to get the coins out. If you try to scratch the coin out, the coin goes deeper into the slot keeping the coin from being able to come out. Now, I just have Zip-lock bag to keep the coins in for my truck. But I am looking for a leather pouch or something to keep the coins in.

3. wickidpisa

wickidpisa Empty Pockets

What I really want to hold change is a Change Card. Unfortunately, when I contacted them, they were only taking orders in the thousands. I'm trying to figure out a way to DIY one of these, any ideas?

4. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I know this is sometimes hard to do but if you spend the change when using cash, you can keep it down to almost nothing. For those times that I accumulate too much change, I try get rid of it by buying gas. I will look at what change I have and try to plan how much gas to buy by getting rid of the bulk a bit at a time buy making the gas cut off at a change amount that gets rid of the most bulk. I few gas purchases can get that down fast from .01 - .99 at a time.

5. gordonk

gordonk Empty Pockets

Agreed - spending coin can be very hard :) I typically use a fanny pak and use one of the small pockets to house my change. My front pockets hold my EDC things :) It's actually amazing how fast the stuff accumulates :( Up here we have coins for $1 and $2 (loonies and toonies :)) and bills start at $5. Pretty easy to accumulate $20+ in coin by the end of the week. I have to always keep in mind that I have change to keep it down.

- gord

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Right now I am doing pretty good. I have .42 cents in change.

7. wickidpisa

wickidpisa Empty Pockets

My problem with carrying change in my pockets is that it falls out within a few hours. Most of my pants are cargo pants or khaki pants which have pockets that are easier to get into, but things fall out pretty easily. I don't have the same problem when I wear jeans (not often). I may have to take badgerboy's idea of getting coin pockets tailored in.

My grand scheme for carrying coins is a 3x5" custom holder. I'm thinking of using Big Blue Saw to get a 3x5 piece of acrylic cut with holes for three quarters, two dimes, a nickel, and four pennies. I then want to back it with a thin plastic, I'll probably use some material from a cut up plastic folder. I'm trying to figure out how to get the coins to stay in place, maybe rubberize it with one of those aerosol rubberizing sprays (if you can think of a better way, please let me know). I carry a duct tape wallet that has a 3x5 pocket I don't use, so it would fit perfectly in there. Now I just need to learn how to use CAD software to make up the design for the acrylic.

8. knuckleduster

knuckleduster Empty Pockets

I wanted a change purse that would work as a SAP or as a knuckle duster. This is what we came up with - The Mind Changer! Carries 50 quarters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JimH

JimH Empty Pockets

Very ingenious. "No, officer, it's not a sap, it's just my coin purse." ;D

10. knuckleduster

knuckleduster Empty Pockets

Exactly!!!! The skull lanyard is merely to assist in finding it in my car, not to increase striking power :)

11. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh, sure! Be smart about it and find an answer that DOESN'T involve the purchase of new, specialized, change-wrangling EDC doohickies! You're no fun, man!  ;D

12. glockstersharp

glockstersharp Loaded Pockets

:lol Too funny!

13. Cain

Cain Loaded Pockets

Hahaha :cheers:

14. one_shift_eight

one_shift_eight Empty Pockets

How about a squeez it coin purse?

[​IMG]

15. B@rt

B@rt Empty Pockets

Not so common, but I like mine... :trampoline:
    [​IMG]
    A kangaroo scrotum pouch... :-X

16. Badgerboy

Badgerboy Empty Pockets

I'll bet the Kangaroo isn't too fond of it. :stretcher: Ouch!

Cliff

17. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

18. JoeBob

JoeBob Empty Pockets

19. sandbasser

sandbasser Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying one of these daily for nearly 20 years... Needless to say it has gotten a little shabby looking. I had forgotten the name of the product plus the store I originally bought it from is now defunct. Now, with the name I found some listed on eBay; but, I'd appreciate it anyone can provide a link to a good EDC merchant I could buy some from.

Thanks,

20. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

I thought maybe John & JoeBob would like to get a round one
    Coin Dispenser