1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coins - how do you carry them?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Goliath, Aug 30, 2006.

1. sbiner

sbiner Loaded Pockets

Max, that's such a great idea! However, what would I do if I needed .82 and .56 for two separate purchases?

Honestly though, that thing looks convenient enough to merit having two at once. One for the wallet, and one on the outside pouch of an EDC bag.

I'd buy one...

...if only they were available. :brickwall:

2. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

Paying .82 and .56 for two separate purchases is no problem:

1. You always start with 3 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, and 4 pennies.
    2. You'd pay the 82 cents in exact change with 3 quarters, 1 nickel, and 2 pennies.
    3. Then you'd pay the 56 cents with a $1 dollar bill, a dime and a penny.
    4. The cashier will give you 55 cents back in change (2 quarters and 1 nickel), which you just put in the empty spots left from step 1.

If you had paid with even dollars, you would have accumulated 12 more coins. This way, you actually have 5 less coins than you started with.

The idea is to manipulate the change you get back so that you never have more than 10 coins in your pocket. The process can go on forever.

It does take a little getting used to, but the practice game on the website is really helpful.

The coin card would be handy to have, but you don't really need it. The math is the trick - the coins could even be loose in your pocket.

I have thought about making a card like that. It is essentially just some coin-sized holes, but finding the right material is a little tricky.

3. BigDanInTX

BigDanInTX Loaded Pockets

4. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi,

over the years one solution for carrying coins has proven the best for me: I simply don't.

About the only case where I need coins or even cash is parking meters, for that occasion I have some coins in the car.

I do carry some emergency cash, but that's in notes and not in my wallet.

Cheers,

Matt

5. knestle

knestle Banned

Coins go in my right front pocket when I get change anywhere.
    When I think of it I check the coin holder in the center console of my truck to see if I can put any more in there.
    Otherwise they go in the five gallon water bottle at home.

Several times, when finances got too tight at the end of the month, I have emptied the water bottle for emergency grocery money.
    The accumulated amounts have ranged from $25 to $125.
    Even the $25 is pretty nice when the cupboard is bare. ;D

6. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

7. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

A really good tip I read here on EDCF suggested carrying quarters <for parking meters>
    in old 35mm plastic cannisters.

Now that's what I do if I'm going where there are parking meters.

8. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I keep quarters in a velcro mouse pouch in my Lunada, others(dime, nickels) are in my pocket. It's small and holds several dollars in quarters.

robert

9. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

I carry my coins in a canvas pouch that is about 2,5 inches across and about 6 inches long. It also makes a fine improvised sap.

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I used to keep a dollar or two, in change in my wallet.

now that i am working on the road a lot, and have to pay for parking (gets reimbursed when i hand in the reciepts) i carry a little bag full of coins, it has around $20 in coins in it, which is around the most i would spend in parking, in a day.

the bag is a Kodak bag, with a zip, and is just big enough to fit an altoids tin into it.

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am a Brit, so coins are just part of life here...

I just use a wallet with a pocket for coins, and then just use them whenever I can to keep the weight down - so whenever I buy something with an odd value I try to make up the odd numbers in small change to minimise what I get back, so most of the time can keep the amount of actual change to a minimum. I rarely end up with much more than a few £1 or £2 coins before spending them again on a smaller purchase or stashing multiples of £3 for bus fares (a day ticket on a local bus - which I use semi regularly - is £3, so I always try to keep a supply of a few fares around so I know I can get on the bus without having to search for the money to make the fare).

I guess the way I work seems to be a less strict version of the changecard, which seems to work fairly well for me - the amount of coins I carry varies, but they are always rotating and getting used so I am never collecting huge amounts.

Working entirely with credit cards is nice in theory, but just isn't fully realised in real life - there are too many points when I need change for a bus or a small purchase and don't want to use a card, or want to be able to chip in to a communal fund for a meal or whatever that it is just part of life for me.

So to answer the original question - just a basic wallet with enough space for a few cards, a pocket for banknotes and a pocket for change to keep everything organised in.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

After having a closer look at the changecard, it seems to me like it would never really work as intended and completely rid you of excess change...

For your first purchase it works perfectly and gives you exact change, leaving you with an odd selection of coins.
    For your second purchase for the day, if you are lucky you might still have the change available, if not you have to break a dollar bill or whatever - this leaves you with an odd array of change, some of which can go towards refilling the empty slots of the card, but is quite likely to leave you with some missing coins or perhaps odd multiples of coins you do have, so you end up with coins in your pocket.

So while I guess you are restricting the amount you will ever have, it still can't really work seamlessly...

13. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I have an oval vinyl squeeze thingy for my coins.

14. Dog Driver

Dog Driver Empty Pockets

I carry them in my hand or pocket, but only until I get to my truck, then they go in the glove box. It's really nice to have that extra in there when I want to buy a coke, or other treat and don't have any cash, or want to use a card.

DD

15. robbyy

robbyy Loaded Pockets

I need to +1 on the Mission Wallet. HAve used one for years, and it really helps keep me organized.

16. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

got a design go clip pouch today, and so far it seems able to serve nicely as a coin pouch:
    http://www.design-go.com/en/detail_38894.html

heck, when my current wallet bulges from the same amount of coin, this pouch barely changes from default shape. And thanks to the clip one can attach it in ways that stop it from rattling around.

17. sesshin

sesshin Loaded Pockets

That is a nice pouch. If I were to have a dedicated coin carrying pouch that seems like the one I would go with.

I was debating for a while whether or not I should actually carry a coin pouch, but my pockets are full enough already and coins only stay in them long enough to make it into the change bin at home, so decided against it.

18. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Years ago I used to carry one of those flexible plastic coin pouches. Sometimes I carry coins in
    my pocket but they tend to accumulate and then I klink and klank as I walk along and have no
    room left in my pockets. For quarters for parking meters the best thing I've found is to use
    an old 35mm film plastic container, suggested by someone on this forum. Right now I'm
    putting them in my pockets again but it's not a good solution.

19. seawolf69

seawolf69 Empty Pockets

In my pocket if I'm without my coin pouch, which I carry in my bag...I transfer the coins from my pocket to my coin pouch when I get the chance.

20. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

My way is, I don't carry them except from the store-home and into the container when its full we roll them and exchange for paper at the bank! Hate pennies!!!!!