1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coin/Change Wallet

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by willydigger, Nov 27, 2011.

1. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

First a lengthy history of my unusual quest. While hunting for gear reviews on youtube I stumbled on a neat little pouch for change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaJ6TAe_LA

I quickly did a search and came up with nothing. Apparently it is a Japan/Asia marketed item only. It was a Mont Bell Coin Wallet.

[​IMG]

Here in the states we get stuff like this rubber squeeze purses.

[​IMG]

So I tried contacted Mont Bell to see if they offered something in the states. See below.

"We do not carry that wallet and will not be bringing it in from Japan. The only products that we carry in the US can be found on our website http://www.montbell.us/."

Couldn't find anything on eBay.

Tried contacting Amazon.co.ja who sell it. Price $10 + $30 International Shipping. No.

So my only alternative was to build one (first image next to battery case from Lighthound - LINK

[​IMG]

There is a little pocket built in for an SD card or something tiny.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total invested cost $10. Took a day. All hand stitched. It disappears in the pocket.

Quick parts list for those interested.
    2-inch nylon/poly webbing, Joann Fabric.
    1-1/2-inch woven ribbon, Joann Fabric.
    Sew-on Velcro, Joann Fabric.
    1/4-inch seam wrap, Joann Fabric.

WWW, Aleister, graveyard and 5 others like this.
  2. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

That came out nice, I would buy one. I would say make one but don't have the time

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

3. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I've been wanting something like that myself. I may have to bite the bullet and attempt to make one too, I'm just afraid my sewing skills won't hold up.

4. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Looks awesome. Nice work!

5. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

Nice handiwork!

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I think I'm going to try one of those tomorrow.

7. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

That turned out great! I love it when people take the initiative and make something they could have bought instead. You always end up with exactly what you want, and if it ever breaks you know you have the skills required to fix it yourself. Well done!

8. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

10/10 good stuff mate

9. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Nice work. Only seen similar for sale in leather.

10. willydigger

Thanks for all the kind words. Maybe one day I'll learn how to use a sewing machine to get the kinks out. I do like the homemade look though.

11. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Great project! Loose change is my bugaboo! I would never be able to make one of those. I am not good with sewing and stuff! I dig the coin holder!

12. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

From one hand stitcher to another – that’s very nicely done.

13. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

pritty coo i might just try and make one my self

14. R1200C

R1200C Loaded Pockets

Great Craft!

I've love mine. I wonder if Gerber is still making these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just Kidding! I've been on the search for a decent coin purse for YEARS. They're all too large, or too cheaply made, or too small... I love what you did here, and it was very inspiring! Thank you!

I started wishing I had the materials to make one myself, being that it's late and all the stores are closed. Then I remembered I had this pouch I don't use, since I have the Kydex Sheath for the Gerber Multi-Tool. This was the pouch that came with the Gerber, and I used some 1.5" nylon webbing from this North Face BackPack waist strap that I removed from the pack and wasn't using.

I double tacked all the sides with a sewing machine, but then went over the entire thing by hand, because my sewing machine couldn't handle the corners very well. I also tacked the corners of the webbing in the front at the top of the velcro, which ensures it closes straight and adds more security for coins not falling out when opened.

I am really impressed with the design! It folds so small, yet holds a TON of coin! It's really quite ingenious! I'm really happy with the way it turned out, except that I missed center with my velcro, and in hindsight, I would have added something to stiffen the bottom a little, but the Gerber sheath does have some foam, so it's not totally floppy, and has some rigidity. Thanks for the idea, willydigger!

MWDP and Take2 like this.
  15. willydigger

Great resourcefulness on the Gerber pouch mod. It reminds me of the Lighthound pouch linked on the first post.

It reinforces the coolness of homemade. You get exactly what you want. While you prefer a larger and more rigid pouch, I prefer mine small and flexible. You can do that with homemade efforts.

I tried making one using a sewing machine. It turned out okay, but my measurements were off so it was scrapped. I'll resupply and try again over the holidays. I essentially do it by hand since I manually stitch with the sewing machine, but it keeps the stitch even and straight.

16. R1200C

R1200C Loaded Pockets

Thanks, willydigger! I'm already thinking about version two. I need to stock up on some supplies first though, but I'm thinking about using some "truck tarp" material, like Chrome Messenger Bags, and some Cordura™ and using fabric for the sides, instead of webbing - then it might be possible to "give" enough for me to fit the whole mess under the sewing machine's foot. Or I might use 1000D Cordura™ for the "shell" and some 420D "PackCloth" for the innards.

If I can figure out how to get those corners with a sewing machine, I'll be making these things for christmas gifts!

EDIT: I made another one from 1000D DigiCam Waterproof Coated (on the back) Cordura™ folded over and doubled up everywhere. I did this one all on the machine in red stitches, so you can see just how amazing I am with a sewing machine :crackup: How's that for the "homemade" look?

I really love the design!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MWDP likes this.
  17. tommypockets

tommypockets Empty Pockets

That's really cool. My wife thanks you for another project added to her list for my edc.

18. Glock 'em down

I couldn't get that Lighthound link to work and I would really like one of those battery carriers. :smitten:

19. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

Why can’t you do it? Did you lose both hands in an unfortunate tree chipper accident? Are you too macho to sew?

20. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My husband is not allowed near my sewing machine. He'd draw back a stump if he tried.