1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coffee Mugs

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by dave0628, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dave0628

dave0628 Empty Pockets

Any one use one of these "thermos backpack bottle"?. i have always used normal travel mugs for coffee but they would spill. This one is supposed to be leak proof and keep things hot for 8 hours. but at $30 are they worth it? any reviews would be helpful. or other ideas for leak proof coffee containers. thanks

2. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

I have a few different stainless travel mugs. Without question my 14 oz. Nissan is the best in the bunch and has never spilled.

Guess it's what's your looking for in a travel vessel. Do you want to drink from it easily? Maybe something to "transport" your coffee hot then pour into another cup?

Coffee is serious stuff in my house. At any given time, we have 20 pounds of raw beans that I roast, rest, grind, and brew in the French press. Insulated stainless is great for keeping coffee hot as long as it's "pre-treated" with hot water first. Reheating becomes a pain. Need to transfer into a microwave safe mug or just drink faster...

3. BCountryTrekker

BCountryTrekker Loaded Pockets

Been using this for the past 3 months. Have had no leaks. But, I think I could make it leak, if I get some liquid above the gasket before I seal the lid. Others have not had the same experience. Keeps coffee as hot as it was poured for more than 3 hours (maybe longer, but I have it empty by then). Need two hands to open it from sealed. Been perfect for my needs. Lid screws to open and apart to clean. Several pieces in all, and takes a few rounds to "get it." I worried about the hinged lid breaking on the thermos model. The only parts I can see servicing are the gaskets on the Stanley. I have heard that they are covered by the warranty. Seems like this one is going to stay with me for a very long time - seems bullet-proof. The thermos your are considering was my second choice because of the lid design.

[​IMG]

4. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Don't know if it's available over there, but I have noticed quite a few Aladin/Aladdin (sp?) travel mugs over here (UK) which look quite good. A large mug sized thermos is the best description I can give. Have heard good reports about them, and they seem reasonable on price.

DISCLAIMER: Never used them - If I ever need to tote a hot drink around I'll take my Jetboil which is my preferred method of getting a hot drink quickly. A canister is good for 12 pints, and takes 60 seconds to boil a brew so no major disappointments when I reach the bottom of the cup.

5. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

No experience with the backpack bottle but the best travel coffee cups I've found are at Starbucks.

They are 16oz double walled plastic cups with screw down lids that have a hinged, rubber/plastic stopper. They will NOT leak. In fact, they will build steam pressure and hiss a little bit when you open the stopper. They are $16-$20 at your local Starbucks but somebody may know where to get the same item w/o the Starbucks logo for less $$ (I've never seen them anywhere else).

[​IMG]

-Greg

6. lgflorin

lgflorin Loaded Pockets

Have and used one for one year now.Best one you can buy.Well worth $ 25 I paid at Amazon.Tested like 20(twenty) s/s mugs Stanley,Contigo,Starbucks,Thermos you name it but this Nissan was the best for travel, office, car ,backpack,home.Check the reviews at Amazon is like $22 now.

7. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

8. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

I have been looking for a new travel mug as well. I have one of the the green thermos coffee holders that keeps it hot forever, but it does me no good in the car.

I went to three stores looking for a halfway decent mug that was leak proof and could take a few solid hits but nothing seemed worth my money.

9. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

We ordered one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PY7AYS/ref=oss_product

Best travel coffee mug I have owned! It does NOT leak, keeps coffee hot for a solid 6 hours, and disassembles easily for cleaning which is important since almost every travel mug I've owned has grown some nastiness in a crevice I couldn't reach. It is also very easy to open/close one-handed so it's good for the car. It was almost $30, but well worth it considering how many countless mugs exist and aren't even worth $1.

:iagree: They are reasonably rugged, but mine broke, hence the great search for my Thermos King.

10. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

11. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

The two best travel mugs I own are one of these Thermos mugs and a 14-oz Nissan travel mug. Both of them keep coffee hot for hours. The Thermos mug didn't even spill any coffee when a car I was driving was T-boned. The mug was about half full and sitting in the cup holder at the time.

12. dave0628

dave0628 Empty Pockets

thanks for the input guys, i think i am going to try out the thermos backpack bottles all the reviews seem to be good

13. gregorovius

gregorovius Empty Pockets

I've had the Contigo tumbler for about a year now, I use it daily, mostly for water but also tea and coffee when the weather gets colder. It has sustained a lot of abuse and it's still holding up, best $20 I've spent in a long time.

14. jethro42

jethro42 Loaded Pockets

You aren't going to be disappointed with the Thermos backpack bottle. I've had one for a few years, and since I bought mine, my wife, mom, dad, and two grandparents all have purchased one. They are great. They ARE spillproof, they keep coffee HOT until well into the mid-afternoon hours, and they are a completely one-handed operation. They even have a 'lock' on the pop-top that keeps it from accidentally coming open. One tip that I got a few years ago that has worked really well - for cleaning, get some of those effervescent denture tablets and drop a couple in overnight after filling the thermos with some hot water. The next morning a little swish with a bottle or dish brush and the thing looks shiny new with virtually no work. I love mine, it rides in my messenger bag everywhere I go.

15. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

I have one of the older NISSAN slim thermos's and man does that puppy hold the HOT in for hours. If i PRE TREAT the thermos with boiling water (pour in , let it sit 5 min, pour out, repeat, then fill with hot coffee) it will stay HOT for about 15 - 18 hours in my pack. Its been a lifesaver on hikes.

16. thejafe

thejafe Loaded Pockets

SIGG Metro Mug:

[​IMG]

17. oakchas

oakchas Loaded Pockets

Coffee... don't ever wanna be without it... ever... I drink prolly 3 pots a day... My travel mug? A Bodum travel coffee press... sure, I can put brewed coffee in it, and I do... but, when I stop at a gas station/convenience store when travelling, I can always fill it with hot water for free... and make my own... Piece o' Cake! Great coffee, just the way you want it... EVERY TIME!

[​IMG]

JustaGhost likes this.
  18. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

I've had the Nissan 14 oz mug, the OXO Good Grips mug, and the Contigo mug and none are perfect, but I have settled on the Contigo. I must say though, that Thermos King looks very promising.

The only problem with the Contigo is keeping the lid clean. The coffee has to be routed through so much plastic to ensure it is spill proof, that it makes it hard to get all of the coffee remnants out of the nooks and crannies. The first one I had I did not put the lid in the dishwasher and eventually it just got too mucked up and I tossed it. I am on my second one now and I decided to put just the lid in the dishwasher and it has kept it much cleaner.

19. zev

zev Loaded Pockets