1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coffe for self defense?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by sitdwnandhngon, Apr 26, 2010.

1. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

I had to drop off my ride to get inspected today and decided while I waited to go for a walk around the block, in not exactly the most prosperous part of town. It didn't bother me much though being the middle of the day during the week, but at night time I would be a little nervous.

Anyway, I stopped and got a cup of coffee and like always had to wait about 10 minutes until I could even touch my mouth to it because it was so hot. And I realized that if I was mugged while holding this cup of coffee he would get a face full of it for sure and probably not be in any condition to continue holding me up as I ran away while his face was on fire.

It's just an idea I thought I would share, coffee in a foam cup with a lid will stay hot enough to burn for almost a half an hour, and no one ever questions someone about bringing a cup of coffee with them into a store or office.

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

I don't know if it would be hot enough after 30 minutes, but it sure would create a distraction long enough for you to do something else to incapacitate your mugger.
    my only problem would be that it would be wicked expensive- you can't drink ten guns in a day ;P

3. sitdwnandhngon

sitdwnandhngon Empty Pockets

I drink about two cups a day. But it was just a situational thought that I had. Early in the morning when work is just starting it seems like everyone you see has a cup of coffee in their hands.

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

This goes back to my philosophy on weapon based self defense(yes I stole this cannot remember from whom). "Either your mind is the weapon and your gun the tool ot your gun is the weapon and you are a tool"

Self defense is a state of mind independent of the tools you use for defense.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My mind tells me to be sure I bring some self-defense tools with me before heading out the door.

6. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

The coffee method seemed to work out ok for the guy in History of Violence

7. AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal Loaded Pockets

Surprise...

I can attest to the effectiveness of a large styrofoam container of boiling hot tea when forcefully thrown into the face of an assailant at contact distance!

I'd actually ordered the tea without milk and in a large, preheated (with boiling water) styrofoam container in order to not cool the temperature with milk, to retain heat within the lidded styrofoam container and to increase the volume of boiling water and teabag for maximum effect on contact.

Sitting down with my tea for a couple of minutes before I attempted to leave the restaurant further completed the utterly normal 'picture'.

The (unknown to me - complete stranger) assailant failed to notice me begin to leave because he was demonstrating his boxing moves to his friend as he had been for the previous five minutes, whilst shouting that he'd 'box' me when I finished eating.

He saw me as I opened the exit door and ran at me with his right fist drawn back, straight into the contents of the styrofoam container. The liquid hit him full in the face and the teabag struck his right eye. He screamed in pain and shock, raising his hands to his face and staggered backwards as I exited and walked at a normal pace along the street towards my car.

Within a few seconds I heard him bellowing with rage as the door of the restaurant was flung open and he charged out into the street. He saw me and I stopped and turned to face him, but he simply stood and screamed abuse while I behaved like everyone else and just stared at him.

He suddenly stopped screaming and walked away in the opposite direction from me, his fight drained and no doubt in a lot of pain. I was pleased he desisted as I did not wish to cause him further injury.

I had flipped the lid off the container as I reached the door so that when he took the contents, there was nothing to deflect the liquid from his face. The effect was as immediate and absolute as I'd expected and I had no need to continue against him and could safely leave. I picked up the lid as I exited and dropped it and the container in a street bin as I walked away.

8. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

While excellent improvisation ,I agree about having a purpose made weapon when possible.I like to drill myself on potential weapons in my surroundings,both those that I would use and those others could use against me.Flight-er-doc's cup would be a dual purpose weapon,scalding coffee and a handy impact weapon.

9. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I once had a beverage thrown at my head during a failed robbery attempt. It would have been effective if his aim had been better since it was contained in a closed soda can at the time!

10. c.joe
    • In Omnia Paratus

c.joe Loaded Pockets

You handled that very nicely. It takes a lot to do what you did. I'm glad things worked out either way. I wonder what was going through his head before and after haha.

11. bobmysterious

bobmysterious Loaded Pockets

I agree, OUTSTANDING story! Well done.

12. kaotick

kaotick BST/Marketplace ban

seems like a very good defense for about 5-10 secs, for you to do something else.

13. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

There's an excellent book out there, by a guy named Marc "Animal" MacYoung: Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, and Baseball Bats. The essence of the book is the principle quoted upthread, that the mind is the weapon, all else is tools. MacYoung goes into a detailed analysis of improvised weapons. He also covers things one should do to minimize the chance of having to USE said weapons.

Funniest weapon in the book was a cat. "Tabby has 4 sets of little razors, and when he hits (being thrown in someone's face) he's going like a 4-pronged buzzsaw."