1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Coating of a spy capsule discoloring my pills

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by harryboee, May 17, 2009.

1. harryboee

harryboee Empty Pockets

I just started using a black spy capsule. I kept Advil in there. My wife had a headache so she took out the Advil from my spy capsule. She said it was moldy. I removed the pills and proceeded to wipe the insided. The tissue used to clean the insides were slight bluish. I initially thought I did not close the spy capsule good allowing air and moisture which lead to the mold. I then soaked the spy capsule in a lysol type cleaner to kill the mold. I then noticed the inside coating coming off and making the cleaner blueish- black color. I took out the cpy capsule and wipe the inside dry and got a flashlight to look inside. I found out the coating was coming off. Part of the coating appear to have beeen removed exposing the aluminum.

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you think this capsule is suitable to hold pills. I found plasitc lined spy capsules at edcdepot and plan to use those instead.

Thanks.

2. mirek

mirek Loaded Pockets

You could wrap the pill(s) into the plastic foil and put in your current spy capsule. :thinking:

3. maxmadco

maxmadco Loaded Pockets

What I did to carry pills was to buy a stainless peanut lighter from countycomm.com pull the lighter out, clean it and it is now a pill container that fits on my keychain.
    Inexpensive and since it is stainless, nothing to contaminate your pills.

4. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

But expensive.

Head on over to your local drug store or grocery store and pick one up and just make sure the inside is clean.

5. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

I stripped the anodizing from mine using some draino and problem = solved.

6. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I would be hesitant to use any material for medication packaging that hasn't been tested for it. Even if you don't see any change like in your case, a transfer of substances is quite possible, and depending on the substance that comes out of the material of the container, that may or may not be harmless and may even change the effect the medication has.

Stripping the coating from the aluminium or using stainless does not solve the problem. Aluminium itself is not the healthiest thing to put into your body, and you have absolutely no idea how aluminium or stainless reacts with and affects your medication. Both aluminium and stainless are far from being inert, as are almost all plastics.

Materials for packaging of medication go through extensive testing and have to meet tight regulations, for a reason. The only materials that I would trust for medication are either plastic containers that are specifically made for this use, or titanium containers that are of medical grade titanium - not the standard Ti6Al4V. If using such Ti containers, you'll also have to make sure that the material used for the o-ring(s) is compatible with the medication as well.

The best solution is probably to either leave the medication in its original packaging, or go to a good pharmacist and ask them to give you small vials either from glass or plastic that they can be sure of to be suitable.

Cheers,

Matt

7. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

Lol make sure you take the o ring off first it could hold some draino on it and that would be bad to swallow.

8. DSC

DSC Banned

Grease Lightning works better to strip off anodizing and is much less likely to pit the metal than drano.

9. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Yeah, i took off the o-rings lol. And I couldn't remember the name of Greased Lightning, but yes it too works very well.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

My guess is the Advil was buffered with some kind of alkali to make it pass through the stomach unharmed, and over time the alkali leached out of the pill and did the same thing to the anodizing that Drano would do.

There are metal containers specifically designed to hold small prescription bottles; maybe you should get one of them.

11. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Awesome idea!!!

You could probably sell the lighter insert to someone who likes to make Titanium capsules to get most of your money back too!

Awesome idea!!!