1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Closing Paramilitary 2

Discussion in 'Knives' started by tom frost, Dec 14, 2013.

1. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone, I have a PM2 that I love nearly everything about, with the slight exception of disengaging the compression lock and closing the knife. I am having a hard time finding a method of doing this that feels comfortable. I am able to close back locks, liner and frame locks, and axis locks without any trouble... every time I go to close my PM2 it feels a bit awkward ergonomically speaking. It's do-able, and lockup-wise I prefer it to a liner lock. I was wondering if anyone else feels this way, or if I am just missing it?

2. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

It takes some practice, but you can disengage the lock with your thumb and sortof bump the finger choil down on to your index finger and then close the knife fully. Alternately you can brace the handle with your thumb and pinch the locking tab with your index finger.

3. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

can you not just close it like a slipjoint? spine against the back of your leg while unlocking with your thumb?

4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found it awkward. I assumed that had I stuck with it longer it would grow on me. Its just so different from anything I have ever used.

5. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

I've got the same issue with the PM2, but I thought it was just because I'm a lefty.

6. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I disengage the compression lock on mine, then just flick the blade closed with my wrist. The majority of the time it closes all the way, the rest of the time I just push the knife the remainder of the way with my thumb after I let up on the compression lock. It is never too far from closed when it doesn't close completely.

I'm right handed by the way. I actually love the compression lock. I find it probably the easiest to close behind the Axis lock. Keep up with it and I'm sure you'll find a way that works and feels comfortable for you. The PM2 is too good a knife to give up on.

7. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. To respond to some of the questions: I don't use the spine against the thigh slip-joint close method. I am currently using something similar to the second method that KeyGrip described above, bracing with thumb and disengaging with middle finger, and push blade mostly closed with index finger. Things would be fine if the blade would fall at least partially closed . The action on mine is smooth, but apparently not fully broken in judging by the accounts I'm reading here. Maybe I just need to lube it up a bit and work it some more?

I will keep with it as suggested.

8. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

Try depressing the lock release with your index finger. I just tried your method and felt like I was going to stab myself :eek:.

I move my clips to tip up carry. When closing the blade, I rest my middle, ring, and pinky on the clip, thumb covers the pivot screw. Then using my index finger, I compress the release and give a little wrist flip closing the blade. I always try to have the blade stop just shy of "fully closed" to eliminate a harsh blade to lock and blade stop pin contact. I then, just using my middle finger to finish closing the blade softly. I've had all lock types and this compression lock is hands down the easiest and most convenient (least amount of hand movement) way to disengage and close a blade, that I've found. This method seems so natural for me, give it a try. DO NOT give up and the greatest Spyderco ever produced. :cool:

9. eacas10

eacas10 Loaded Pockets

i used to do it like Keygrip said and worked fine.

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

No problem here, in fact quite the opposite I prefer the closing action to compression locks over most others. The key is finger placement. Your thumb should be on the pivot, your index on the lock obviously, and thenthe rest of your fingers along the G10 and out of the way. Then you just press the lock and let it drop shut.

Here's a video I made, I'm not holding it with all my fingers just to demonstrate the that I'm not helping the blade shut, but picture thisaaction with your pinky/ring/middle fingers gripping the scale and that's it. Very simple and fluid.

11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Oops forgot the link. Oooh that's right can't post it here. So stupid. Anyway search for Para 2 Drop Cut on You Tube.

12. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Excellent info everybody. It's becoming very clear that the primary difference between my experience and everyone else's is in the blade being able to drop closed to some extent or being able to be flicked closed. My PM2 is obviously we n the stiffer end of the spectrum, with the lock completely disengaged the blade does not, and will not, move without being pushed.

Did everyone else loosen their pivot screws, or did the blade begin to drop free after a period of use, or multiple applications of lube, or.... ? Because if the blade dropped free when lock was disengaged, I can see where the compression lock would be very user friendly.

The method I use with my Natives is to place my index finger in the choil and disengage the lock, allowing the blade to fall freely onto my finger and then close it the rest of the way. I like that method a lot, but if the blade didn't drop freely, it wouldn't work either...

13. tom frost

tom frost Loaded Pockets

Woah!!!!! I just watched the recommended YouTube video, and my knife's closing characteristics bear ZERO resemblance to the knife shown in the video! I would like mine to be a little closer to that one though.

Edited for grammar.

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Do you close you slip joints like that? Seems a bit unsafe to me :eek:

rsitter likes this.
  15. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I close mine almost exactly how the guy in the video does, except mine isn't that loose so I have to give it a bit of wrist.

You may want to try loosening your pivot a bit if it doesn't move at all without pressure.

16. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i close slipjoints like that, without the whole 'unlocking' part. i put the spine on the side of my leg with my fingers out of the way and just snap it closed. never cut anything off yet so it can't be that unsafe :)

thekapow likes this.
  17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

maybe im just a chicken :D, i always hold the blade between my fingers till the edge is coverd by the handle, unless it has very little to no spring tension (like the lm juice).