1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cloning hdd for replacement

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jzmtl, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

It is unfortunate that this was bulk loaded, Vista Bus. Singapore on the bottom. Doesn't Control Panel-system show the code? If that will work, MIddleton BIOS, SSD and more MB.

2. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I played around on my desktop first. I upgraded HDD long ago and left the smaller one disabled in BIOS (as a backup in case I forgot to move over some data) and the new one partitioned into system and data. Now I finally got off my butt and did what I should've done years ago, and cloned the system partition onto the small HDD, then extended data partition to the entire larger HDD.

I actually tried that EasyUS Partition Master Free, but it just pretended to do the work then tell me I have to pay first before it'll do any actual partition change, not sure what that was that all about. I downloaded AOMEI partition assistant and it worked just fine.

For cloning I used Macrium reflect, worked without a hitch.

Received the SSD but still waiting for the USB enclosure. I suppose I could pull the laptop drive and plug into my desktop to image then do the same to write onto the SSD, or crack open my other 3TB USB external drive and appropriate the enclosure, but both sound like a pain in the butt and I'm not in a hurry anyway.

ran23 and dml24 like this.
  3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

And done! Win7 score for disk speed went from 5.9 to 7.9, too bad CPU/GPU still sucks. :cold:

Going to bed now.

4. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Control Panel - System and Security - System, or, Start - right click Computer - Properties

ran23 likes this.