1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cloning hdd for replacement

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jzmtl, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I just bought a ssd to replace the hdd in my old netbook, since it has no optical drive I also bought a usb enclosure to clone the present hdd.

I figure I'll use one of the cloning softwares to do it, not sure which one yet. The present hdd is partitioned into three drives, with two being recovery and some bios update stuff. I'm not sure if I should clone all three or just leave out the other two. I have the recovery backed up on another external hdd. Can win 7 separate some free space from one drive to form a new partition without reformat the whole thing down the road?

If I choose to clone the three partitions as is, should I format the ssd into three drivrs manually first, or could any cloning software do it altogether? Similar to previous, can win 7 merge partitions to form one drive without format the whole thing (I think might have done this a long time ago, don't remember anymore).

powerring likes this.
  2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I used to use a program called partition magic to adjust partition sizes without formatting. Can't vouch for any particular cloning programs as I never cloned a drive when I was on windows, and these days I'm on a Mac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

echo victor and Octane957 like this.
  3. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

If you can I would just do a fresh OS install on the SSD, that way it will be optimised for the drive and will be free of all the crud that builds up during program installation & removal, updates & day to day use of a computer (which will help speed up most computers). Then you can just bring across your data and install all of the programs you use.

If you still wish to use the original OS setup then you will need a USB external CD or DVD drive to allow the use of a program to clone one drive to the other. Of which there are many to chose from with varying levels of ease of use and features.

If I was in the same situation I would just do a fresh install, less fuss and complications.

FL Woods Bum and powerring like this.
  4. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

If you do go for a cloning approach rather than a fresh install, Acronis True Image has worked very well for me for over a decade.

You can clone all the partitions at the same time and it can dynamically resize partitions during the process.

XD_Dawg and Nighted like this.
  5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I agree with powerring about Acronis for end users who don't mind buying a product. I have never tried their "free trial" to see if it has enough features to get you through this task.

For folks who are a in need of a free solution and can follow step by step instructions (fewer people can do this than one would think), you can use Clonezilla. Clonezilla is a great tool and on their site they have step by step walk through on how to do a disk to disk clone. Search Google for "Clonezilla". Once you get to their home page (.org) you need to go to the link labeled (cd/usb live) to download and create a bootable USB or CD. Then you need to search the site for "disk to disk clone" and you will find a walk through of the process. Good luck with whichever way you go!

Note: As with most open source (free) tools, there is a few more steps to using this tool than others like Acronis that you pay for.

dml24 and powerring like this.
  6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

It'll be just a one time use so I'm not sure I want to pay $50 for it, but while the ssd will be here on Monday the enclosure won't be here till 30th so it'll be a few days before I can get to it. There's a free trial option but I don't know if it offers the same functionality as full version.

7. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

I have used freewares such as EaseUS todo backup and Macrium to do many clones before. Check them out. These programs leave other partitions alone. You just need to clone the OS partition, usually the C Drive.

Last edited by davidt1, Dec 20, 2014
    powerring likes this.
  8. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

Another vote for fresh install...

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  9. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

To do a fresh install I'd have to do cloning first, since the only way to do it is via the recovery partition.

10. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

No, you can hook up the new drive, boot from the recovery partition and tell it to install to the new drive. Or better yet download the ISO of your OS and just use your key to activate.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  11. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily. You can get installation media from your computer's manufacturer to set up a new hdd. I got one for my notebook in case I ever decide to switch it back to Windows.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  12. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Yup, what he said.:)

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  13. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

The recovery is done from the BIOS I think, don't know if the actual partition is bootable, not sure if it would recognize a USB drive at that stage. I'll have to see when everything gets here.

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

1+ for 100% fresh install

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  15. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

Most modern PC's have the option to boot from a USB HDD or CD/DVD drive and some will boot from a USB memory stick.

Pretty much all the computer needs is a connection to a drive with a valid boot loader, the computer does not care if it is connected through internal cables, USB ports, Firewire etc (as long as the computer supports it).

So when you stick the old drive in the USB enclosure you can connect it to your computer then point your PC to the drive and you should be able to boot from it.

You just need to find out how your particular computer does this. Some will require you to change the boot list in the BIOS settings (eg: USB drive -> CD/DVD Drive -> Internal HDD -> FDD) and some will give you the option to select the boot device by pressing a key during boot (mine is F12).

Rasthor likes this.
  16. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

When I went to install Linux on my brand new Win 8 notebook, in addition to changing the boot order, I also had to enable legacy mode and turn off the secure boot options in BIOS.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  17. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I go with the clean install and just transfer the data. Not only will you get rid of the left out crap, you'll also won't install the programs you had, but don't actually use.

18. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I got a used thinkPad with a fresh install of win 7 Pro 64. no disc, and no fresh install on a SSD I hope to get into it.

19. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

Below is the link straight to the Win 7 Pro 64bit install ISO, (it has a 30 day limit untill it requires activation but you can easily do that with the code on the sticker on the bottom of the machine):

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso

20. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

A couple of good programs for cloning a Win 7 pc without having to reinstall Windows.

EaseUS Partition Master Free

As Partition Magic alternative, EaseUS Partition Master Free is an ALL-IN-ONE FREE disk partition management tool brought together with three main functions including: Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard.

Clonezilla

Clonezilla is a partition and disk imaging/cloning program similar to True Image® or Norton Ghost®. It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. lonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the hard-disk.

Happy cloning!

Please let us know how the cloning proceeds and what tools you use!