1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Clipdraw?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by kyguylal, Jun 9, 2015.

1. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

I just bought my first handgun today, a Ruger SR22 and because its the only gun I have, I'll carry it. I stocked a few thousand rounds of CCI Mini-Mags and Stingers, so I'll use those too.

I am wondering a way to carry it. I have checked out a few holsters at the shops, but I couldn't find any that didn't print horribly...Granted, the shops had few options for the gun.

A bit of background...I am in my early twenties, 5'8, 140lbs (on a heavy day).

Does anyone use a clipdraw? I like the idea of the very minimalistic carrying option. I see that they have a universal one which does not require drilling.

The Ruger having the long and heavy trigger pull coupled with the manual thumb safety, would essentially make this way of carry safe, correct?

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I had a Clipdraw on one of my Glocks for a few weeks. Took it off: it just didn't feel secure enough to me and, of equal importance, it doesn't cover the trigger. Although I never put my finger inside the trigger guard unless I intend to shoot, I was concerned that somehow I would rub up against something or somehow snag the trigger through my trousers.

I switched over to a Kydex Fobus paddle holster that my department had issued to us for off-duty carry: in my opinion, it would cost you about the same money (approx. $30) if you got a Fobus -- or something similar -- and you'd have both increased weapon retention and better trigger protection. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Jarhead Greasemonkey, Wishoot and odg like this.
  3. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Absolutely not. Get a proper holster.

4. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Your dept needs to stop hating you and switch you to the Safariland 6378. Retention holster and prints less than the Fobus.

Barchack and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestion: But, I'm retired now and have some very nice non-Fobus leather holsters and even one Safariland in that company's laminate version (but, it's not for my Glocks). I've spent hours and hours of work time and now recreational range time with that Fobus ... It just works for me. Also, it happens to be in the same price range as what the OP would have spent for a Clipdraw

Wishoot and Il Duce like this.
  6. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

Why do you want a holster for a rimfire pistol? Shooting a match that requires drawing? If so, I'd go with a different holster than the clipdraw.

Had one for the S&W Bodyguard and hated it. Moves around too and isn't exactly secure when taking your pants off - I've had it fall out.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. Rabiddolphin

Rabiddolphin Loaded Pockets

I would check out Alien Gear holsters, that way if and when you change guns you can get other shells to adapt the holster to new guns. They are pretty affordable, seem well built to me, and plenty of options available too.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  8. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

First off- Congratulations on the new pistol. Never shot an SR22, but I'm a Ruger fan and I hear very good things about this gun.

Second- get a good holster that covers the trigger guard. There are plenty of good options out there. As Cobra 6 mentioned, Kydex is a fantastic option. Kydex is thin, light weight, offers positive retention and with the right belt, won't shift around.

9. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

If "clipdraw" is a one word question...

Then "no" is an appropriate one word answer.

:D

10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't trust them.

One of the scariest moments of my life was in an LGS where the owner had installed one of those stupid things on a $5000 custom 1911.

If he hasn't shot himself in the leg, it's because he doesn't actually carry.

So, to answer your question...people do carry like that. But I, and many like me who probably do know better, don't come within 20 feet of them, no matter the firearm.

If you want minimal, PJ Holsters are pretty widely regarded as good. I've had very good luck with Cook's Holsters. Their tuckable IWB was my go-to basically until I switched to appendix carry. I have zero complaints. And the printing was smaller than carrying the same gun Mexican style (just tucked into the waistband, unloaded of course).

If you really want the minimal thing, raven concealment and a few other people make holsters that only cover the trigger guard. They are safe and will work. They'll allow the gun to move with you, which means they should be pretty comfortable. But, you'll worry a lot about printing. And if you practice LIKE YOU SHOULD, you'll end up hating it from the hot slide burning your side. Also, it's probably a good idea that you be able to re-holster one handed, which you can't do with them.

Really, I think cook's can't be beat. The last time I checked, they were only running a 4 week lead time, which is okay in this industry. It's annoying, but that's how it is. It's even worse when you're left handed....I've never bought a holster without a 4+ week wait except for the POS blackhawk holsters I use for competition (after removing the insanely dangerous retention system).

Plus, Cook's holsters is in GA, and GA is pretty darn good on gun/knife rights....a lesson I've learned from traveling around the southeast and realizing that something I normally carry is illegal everywhere in the old south except GA. So, I try to support GA businesses as much as I can.

11. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

Get a proper holster, and work up to a proper gun.
    Blade Tech Nano is available for the SR22 and that's a great holster for the money.

12. kyguylal

kyguylal Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. I picked up a few different holsters for it to try them out and to be honest, I'm finding a ten dollar Blackhawk the most comfortable no matter how hard I try not to

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk