1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Clicky or twist-on/off flashlights - which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by whoozle, Feb 25, 2013.

?

Which do you prefer - twist or click to-turn-on flashlights?

1. Twist

14.8%
  2. Click

85.2%
  1. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

BOOM. Couldn't have said it better. I definitely prefer twisties. I got so sick of dead batteries in my lights, or getting burned all of a sudden because the light heated up on high and then pressed into my leg. Happened more often than you'd think.

2. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

for edc i prefer the dual-stage momentary switch, so i guess that would be more of a tailcap twisty with a button.
    for a work light, i like a forward clicky with 1 or 2 modes only.

3. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Short answer is it depends. For a small pocket light I want something dependable and as small as possible so twisty is my prefernece. I hate on/off cycling but there are lights out there that this is not an issue i.e. Peak Eiger, Thrunite Ti, Nitecore EZ. For a larger light, particualrly two cell, a clicky is an easier activation as a twisty would take both hands. If I am out camping chances are a Surefire U2 is in my hand.

In thinking about the question my favorite all time switch hands down is neither. Surefire T1a Titan is not a clicky or a twisty really but is the best UI ever concieved.

4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Because then the whole body would fall off. The head has less leverage on the treads than the whole body would so if you are attaching to a keychain I would think this would work against you. Eagletac makes lights like this and the tail comes lose because the clip is bolted to it I would rather it was one peace. Being that most clicky lights have heads that remove just like a twisty I don't see your point there either. It sounds to me like the o-ring is too small or missing. I've carried a twisty for almost three years straight now more than two of which where on my keychain and never have I had the head come lose on it's own.

I like both twist for small lights click for bigger ones all must tail stand.

5. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

Once in sanfran I had a maglight solitaire clipped to my belt loop and a waiter at a restraint said "excuse me sir, your flashlight is on" from then on no more twisty

whoozle and Erasergirl like this.
  6. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

many times i have sworn a blue streak trying to engage flashlights with numb fingers, mittens, or went hands..
    the only time the twist works better is if you are holding it between your teeth and you can twist it with one hand...but you gotta have really strong teeth.

7. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

FIXED :D

8. Black Helmet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Black Helmet Loaded Pockets

Clicky for this here guy.

9. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I perfer clicky after having issues with a twisty keychain light. (Turning on by it's self and waring out).

Lateck,

10. zebedee
    • In Omnia Paratus

zebedee Loaded Pockets

Prefer clicky never had one come on accidentally, whereas twisties....

11. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

my only experience is with twisty. I know I wanna go clicky for my next one, haven't decided which clicky flashlight I want yet. I'm considering a few with tail-clicky, still hemming and hawwing over price and pocket-clip.

12. wrenchking

wrenchking Loaded Pockets

90% colicky 10% twisty

13. Koala3

Koala3 Loaded Pockets

Clicky! For the one handed reason and that I seem to gravitate toward smaller lights. Two Forward click Streamlights, and reverse in Zebra and an EagleTac, either is fine, no preference for which one as they all do fine for mode switching. Gave away two twisty Inova X1s and have a Nano on the keys.

14. Ogre

Ogre Banned

since im lazy, clicky. but i was only alowed to have one light for the rest of my life, id chose a twisty for longevity reasons. less parts to wearout/break

Take2 and JustinJ like this.
  15. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Clicky. Buttons are way better. I also like the tap on and off feature, and I'd say that's the only negative about the Fenix LD20. Streamlights are my favorite light, and they're all tap on/tap off, click on/click off to my knowledge. I have or have had seven or eight of them.

16. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I greatly prefer clickies, rear clickies even more so. It's just the way that I'm used to holding a flashlights & feels the most natural to me.

Twisties are basically just a necessary evil that comes with the real tiny lights to me, but I don't ever see myself buying a larger light with a main twist switch.

Ogre's post above me made me reconsider though, but as long as it's for EDC purposes & not a survival-like situation my preferences remain the same.

17. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Clicky so long as they don't get clicked in my pocket.

18. cerbie

cerbie Loaded Pockets

Depends. I've had both kinds come on in my pockets. A palmable light should be twisty, for easy one-hand use. A hand-sized or bigger should use a clicky. A mom/twist is my preference for a workhorse type light, generally with only 1 or 2 modes (IE, Surefire and Inova).

19. joel_1071

joel_1071 Loaded Pockets

Cerbie is right, just as same size as your palm... twisty and much bigger then its its clicky.

20. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Rear clicky all the way. Used to carry a E2E which as you may know got a hybrid switch. Now I EDC a Fenix P3D, perfect for my needs. Wouldn't mind upgrading the E2E to LED but that seem a bit too expensive for my taste, might as well buy a new light.