1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning a Cu Embassy Pen with ketchup…

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mhphoto, Jul 25, 2012.

1. mhphoto

mhphoto Loaded Pockets

After watching this video…

…I wanted to try it out on my copper Embassy Pen. It's pretty common knowledge that you can use most acidic household foods to clean copper to a certain extent, but I wanted to see how ketchup did without any abrasive agitation. I hate the way Brasso smells, but the old formula and a smooth cotton rag is hard to beat in terms of quality of polish. I just hate having to sit there and rub it. So I was hoping that ketchup would be an easy out—you know, huck copper in ketchup, wait a bit, voila.

Before pics (I did have two, but one got lost in transit, I guess):

[​IMG]

About ten seconds after putting it into the ketchup:

[​IMG]

As you can see, even without any agitation it gets rid of most of the tarnish pretty quick. I then threw it in the fridge overnight and cleaned it off today. Total time immersed was about 22 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worlds better, but still not as shiny as it gets with Brasso and elbow grease. I do want to mention that in person the pen looks cleaner than in the after shots. There are some splotches that got more tarnish taken off; not sure why. But, I will say this, the ketchup leaves the copper in what I affectionately call the Rose Stage of polished copper tarnish. The Rose Stage usually occurs around day two when I completely polish my copper stuff. It precedes the brownish and greenish stages of tarnish, and I think it's a beautiful stage.

Here's a Maratac Cu in its rosy goodness:

[​IMG]

So, there you have it. Mine didn't get as shiny as the light in the video, but ketchup is certainly a quick way to get much of the tarnish off, even without agitation.

2. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

I just soak my copper items into a solution of (just enough to submerge) white vinegar and pinchful of salt.. Just a simple swirl and agitate for 10-15secs and it turns a nice rose pink-gold color..
    Never tried ketchup but it's easier to rinse off the solution..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DisrupTer911

DisrupTer911 Loaded Pockets

doesn't taco bells fire hot sauce do this too?

4. sheriferson

sheriferson Loaded Pockets

I would be concerned with it smelling of ketchup for-pretty-much-ever after that, especially since I'd expect I wouldn't be able to clean every nook and cranny in the pen. Have you noticed it acquiring any of that smell?