1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Clash of the keychain MTs

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by sungame, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

IIRC early production runs used torx screws, but the latest ones use peened pins á la the Juice line. That would certainly complicate modding.

2. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Are you sure? My style CS, which I bought in august 2010 has torx (#6, I believe). It is hard to tell from the product photo at the Leatherman site whether newer versions have screws or pins.

3. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I plead "cerebral flatulence." I was thinking of the Squirt PS4, which switched from torn to pins. Sorry!

4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Good! It would have been a shame if Leatherman changed the screws for pins on the Styles, as it seems many people prefer these models partly because they are easier to mod than other small Leathermen.

5. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

A victorinox toothpick from a 58 mm knife e.g. a classic will fit snugly where the tweezers are on the Leatherman PS. Only one will fit though.

tal-c likes this.
  6. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

7. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

I really love the Squirt S4, and two years ago I gave one to my girlfriend. She actually carries it and use it. I think it is the best key chain MT, and I can't understand why they discontinued it...

powerring and hiljentaa like this.
  8. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

Same. The Squirt S4 is/was, IMO, the best keychain tool.

The Micra looks better with it's stainless construction, and it has a better bottle opener, but the Squirt S4 is so much more convenient. The tools also have a much more satisfying 'click' when opened.

platypus85 and powerring like this.
  9. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing that the Micra probably outsold it 10 to 1. The Squirt S4 was a few dollars more and I suspect that could have killed sales given that the tool set and size were pretty close.

I'm not one to mess with a classic, but a new version of the Micra with outside opening tools could be a winner, just as it was with the new Wave.

tgunderson and platypus85 like this.
  10. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

The Micra not only looks better, but has better implements. In addition to the bottle opener, the flat screwdrivers are sharply cut and fit slotted screw heads better than those on the Squirt. Beyond that, the closed tool configuration has another benefit. The blade and drivers can be extended for greater reach by folding out the handles when necessary, not recommended but a "feature" I have used many times. On the S4, the only extension possible is for the 2D ph head.

However, one big plus for the Squirt is that it is more hand friendly than the Micra. Women especially seem to notice this. My wife doesn't care for Leatherman products in general and positively refuses to even touch a Micra. OTOH, she accepted an S4 I gave her, which she uses often for various little chores and has become her favorite toenail clipper.

So it comes down to what you do. If you are a compulsive fixer upper, like me, the Micra offers a better tool set. If you prefer just bopping about with only occasional need for tools, the Squirt is "good enough" (except for the lousy bottle opener).

powerring and sungame like this.
  11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I know I want one!

I don't know if it is feasible in such a small package, but I would really like a design where the blade is outside opening and the other tools open from the inside.

hiljentaa and powerring like this.
  12. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The Micra definitely looks better after riding in a pocket for a few years because of the stainless steel vs. painted aluminum on the Squirt S4. Good point on the extension.

13. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The other thing I would love is one hand opening. I'm not sure it's possible in such a small form factor without it looking weird though.

14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I really don't think even Leatherman could make that work in a form factor that small.But if they could...

15. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Agreed. Until they do, I will carry both my OHO Ladybug 3 and my Style CS. It's a small cost in extra weight.

16. hiljentaa

hiljentaa Loaded Pockets

A SS Micra with outside opening blade would be perfect.

Leatherman, I hope you're listening!

17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Yep, that would be a real King of the Keychain!

18. Theron

Theron Loaded Pockets

Thanks for letting me know they are discontinued!
    Luckily the online stores in my country still have them.
    Just ordered a blue one and a red one.

powerring likes this.
  19. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

(This thread rubs its sleepy eyes, looks around, blinks, mutters ":censored:?" IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!)
    Too bad they were discontinued, though you were fortunate to have found the two. The Squirt S4 has always seemed to me the most useful of the Squirt series because you get decent scissors instead of half-assed pliers, a file you can use on fingernails, tweezers and an ultra small screwdriver. I'm not happy with its replacement, the PS4. It supposedly finesses the previous choice between the P4 with pliers only and S4 with scissors by providing both implements but gives up too much in exchange for too little. I find no need for a coarse/fine file on a tool that small. If I'm in a situation where that matters, I always have at minimum a regular sized multi-tool or other tools on hand. Also, the PS4 loses the eyeglass driver and punch. Not worth any of it it for the addition of marginal pliers, IMO (nice form factor, though.)

Last edited by znapschatz, Apr 9, 2015
    sungame and powerring like this.
  20. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I was going to get a Micra last year. I still may get a different LM one day.