1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Civilian Lab Kevlar Clip Wallet **REVIEW**

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by bbbshrimp, Oct 10, 2006.

1. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

Hello my friends!

Here's one of my favorite EDC wallets -- Civilian Lab Kevlar Clip Wallet! And I'm going to give it a review. So here it is (this is my first review, so forgive me if it's a bit disorganized):

SIZE: 4.5" tall x 3 1/8" wide (when folded); 8" wide (un-fold)
    MATERIAL: Kevlar (duh..), Clear mesh ID window; Steel gun-holster type clip; Velcro closure

Ok. let me begin with the packaging (please see pics). I was very surprised when I received my clip wallet that it came in a very cute and efficent packaing. The wallet is clipped to a slightly see-through plastic which has printed picture of the wallet as well as brief illustrated instructions that show several ways to clip the wallet. I was very amused when I remove the clip wallet from the plastic board because there was a very cute picture of a bunny eating carrot hidden behind the wallet!  :laugh: :laugh:
    I think Civilian Lab must have a thing for bunnies because I found another bunny picture on the back of the plastic board (and this is a very hilarious picture, but I've decided to hold my tongue so I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen this).

CAPACITY:
    The wallet is very thin and small. It fits pretty much to the sizes of the essentials for wallet (bills, credit cards), so it is smaller than most of tri-folds you see out there.
    So in one of the pictures here, you can see I have 6 cards (credit cards, IDs, club cards, etc.), 7 bills, 2 receipts, and some change that sit neatly in the wallet. You can put a few more cards and bills in it for sure, but personally, this is pretty much what I carry in my wallet. I actually didn't notice the zip change pocket inside the main compartment until a couple of days after I started using the wallet. The zip pocket takes up about 2/3 of the un-floded width of the wallet. You will need to put the coins in the center section of the wallet, so that you can fold the wallet properly.

CLIP EVERYWHERE:
    I absolutley love this clip thing! I clip the wallet ANYWHERE that I can clip it to... It's very easy to be clipped to your belt of course. The type of steel clip this wallet has is used by the military and polic units. The clip end has a retantion "trench", so it actually locks onto your belt pretty tight. If someone is trying to snatch your wallet off your belt, you'll definitley notice it and it's pretty hard to try to pull it off the belt without putting your fingers under the belt to "releas" the locking trench. This clip works pretty much the same as a lot of the leather gun hoslter clips.
    The clip also works great even when you're not wearing a belt. I've taken some pictures showing it clipped to my waistband (works either wallet outside the pants or inside the pants  :p) and my pant pocket. The clip top levels with the wallet top, so you won't feel anything poking the side of your stomach. I used to lose my wallet inside my backpack or messenger bag, but now I just clipped on the webbings or any inside compartment, so it's very easy to spot the wallet. If you have bags that have pals, then this wallet is going to be very happy. See pics -- I clipped my kevlar wallet on the shoulder pad d-ring and the pals on the tail piece of my fast pack.
    Oh! Another great place to clip it is on your car visor, the same way you clip your gate remote control to car visor. I really love it when pay at the grocery counter because I don't even bother removing the wallet from my belt -- I just open the wallet and get my credit card out with the wallet still secured on my belt! :highfive:

Conclusion:
    This is a perfect wallet for people who don't like losing their wallets all the time and it's perfect for you if you don't keep tons of receipts like George Costanza. The wallet price is also very reasonable at $22 (I've paid more for some of my tri-fold surf wallets that didn't have belt clips and weren't made out of cool Kevlar).
    Civilian Lab also has the clip wallet in perforated leather for $32.
    You can check out the wallets here: www.civilianlab.com
    or you can also buy from: http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/gear%20organizers%20main/civilian_clip_wallet.htm

Did I do a good job reviewing this wallet? ;D

Attached Files:

2. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

Here are some more pics.

Attached Files:

3. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

clip to pants ;D

Attached Files:

4. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

clip to bakpack

Attached Files:

5. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Great review bbbshrimp. :thumbsup: I'm off to see if it is available in other colors.

-LT

6. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Great review! Would work will on the EDC Magazine too. Especially the pics.

7. iceman

iceman Empty Pockets

Nice back pack :)

8. flashlight

flashlight Empty Pockets

So is it bulletproof too?  :-X They do have some cool stuff though. I kinda like the cable wallet as well but it might be too comfortable to sit on. :green:

9. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

Hey.. thanks! Would be honored to have them on the EDC Magazine. Please feel free to use any of the pics. :highfive:

10. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Very nice but is missing a "hole" like the one in "The Wallet Jr" that can be used to attach a chain.
    The safety chain and the clip would make it even more useful in my opinion.

Luigi

11. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Not up to me though. You may want to make an offer to knuckleduster. He is always looking for good reviews on unique everyday carry items.

12. KSH62474

KSH62474 Loaded Pockets

Great review! This is awesome. even though i just got a wallet(eagle creek slim wallet) i was looking at this one as i like wallets made out of cool stuff. Your review made we want it more. Can you please post pics of thickness of the wallet and show something to get an idea of how thick it is?( a battery standing up, stack of quarters, most things work) Thanks!

13. bbbshrimp

bbbshrimp Empty Pockets

Hey KSH62474,
    Thank you so much! I'm out of town for a few days, but I'll post thickness pic when I get back home. With the stuff I had in the walllet, the thickness is probably about a bit over 1/2" thick I think.

;)

14. knuckleduster

knuckleduster Empty Pockets

Excellent review! I enjoyed it tremendously. Looks like a great product.

Dave

15. KSH62474

KSH62474 Loaded Pockets

Thanks bbbshrimp. The only thing i was worried about was thickness but the nice thing is it has a coin pocket AND its still thin. I think I'm going to have to get one of these!

Pics of the coin pocket would be nice too to clarify where the pocket has been palced. Thanks!!!! O0

16. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

That is a cool wallet. That was a great review.

17. marvyn

marvyn Empty Pockets

I am looking for a new wallet, nothing too complicated or bulky and was thinking of a Civilian Lab Clip in the perforated black leather. Contemplated the Spec-Ops and Maxpedition offerings but a bit too military for everyday work use needs to work with a suit.

Anyone out there using Civilian Labs wallets I would like to hear your views.

Minor advantage ..... it matches the perforated leahter strap on my Tag Carrera watch.

Cheers

18. gerry.agnosia

gerry.agnosia Empty Pockets

Hello Marvyn,

I purchased a Civilian Labs Kevlar Wallet not too long ago. I ended up using it for all of... a month.

The wallet was billed as being mil-spec tough, but in actuality the only part of it that maintained any design integrity in practice was the military-spec steel clip. The kevlar itself started to fray and the plastic ID holder started to come apart after three and a half weeks of just regular, every-day use.

This being the second bad experience I had with Civilian Labs' questionable quality control (The first being with their retractable key lanyard which had a complete and utter spring malfunction.) I now am avoiding their gear.

For now, I use a Spec-Ops. T.H.E. Wallet as my, well... wallet. I had worries that it would be too big and bulky, too, but it folds up into a nice, convenient and RUGGED package. From the experiences I've had with wallets, I can truly say that this is THE ONE. I suspect I may never need to purchase another wallet (Pending cataclysmic events or loss.) again.

- Gerry

19. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:bump: Threads merged with a bump.

20. TOAD69

TOAD69 Empty Pockets

I have a civilian lab clip wallet in kevlar and it has held up fine.
    and i carry it every day at work and IM A WELDER very hard on gear! :knuppel2: