1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Civilian alternative to Rush24

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rmrf, Jul 24, 2014.

?

What is the best "civilian" version of Rush24

1. Keep Rush 24

35.7%
  2. Covrt'18

7.1%
  3. Brain Bag

7.1%
  4. Synapse 25

7.1%
  5. Vertx Gamut/Gamut Plus

14.3%
  6. Other

28.6%
  1. rmrf

rmrf Loaded Pockets

I use and abuse Rush24 for 3 years and absolutely love it, but it is not the best bag to pass TSA checkpoints and visit Disney parks. I'm looking for "civilian" version of Rush 24, maybe a little smaller, but still able to fit DSLR with 1-2 lenses, laptop, change of clothes for 2 kids etc.
    So far I'm deciding between:
    • Covrt'18 - see a lot of complaints about material quality. True?
    • TB Brain bag - too dependent on accessories, end version will double the price
    • TB Synapse 25 - too small? I'm 6'6 300lb guy :)
    • Vertx Gamut / Gamut Plus - really thinking to get this one, but it looks too big for me. Dimensions of non-plus even bigger than Rush24.
    • ??? - anything with durability, organizational abilities and convenience of Rush24, but without mole all over the backpack :)
    Thanks in advance.

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  3. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Have you looked at the Camelbak Urban Assault?

32liters, padded laptop compartment, insulated bottle holders on both sides, admin panel, stuff-it pocket, and the list goes on...

Here's mine...
    [​IMG]

edit: there's also a XL and CCW version of this bag; neither of which do I have any experience with btw...

4. Jake333

Jake333 Loaded Pockets

"Other" because there are soooo many alternatives out there to choose from. You've got all sorts of packs that you can find. There's Kelty, which make small to large packs of all kinds. And keep looking, I'm sure you will find something. Just start checking out some brands.

5. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

And another nice thing about the CUA is the D Fit shoulder strap attachment makes it fit nice on big guys :)

To be honest - all the choices listed are good bags - I've owned and used the COVRT18, the Synapse 25 and the CUA. For me - the current winner is the CUA, but from what I've read the Gamut may be even better. The next time I get bag fever I will probably look at the Gamut.

6. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

It's been a great feature for me...

I'm 6'2" 225 (or so ;)) and have wide shoulders...

One of the guys here in the shop has a rush 24 that was issued to him and I tried it on several times.

That yoke-type harness just didn't work for me.

The D-Fit straps on the CUA are all the way out when I'm wearing it and that makes it just right.

Gamut and SERT bags (and the Synapse 25) have all peaked my interest at one point or another; but my kids play every sport imaginable and the insulated bottle holders will fit two Gatorade bottles apiece and keep them cold for hours. This has been one of my favorite features of this pack (among many others).

7. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I didn't realize the SERT bag was 32 liters...

Bigger than I was thinking it was...

And it's available in blue!

8. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Anyways; good luck in your search rmrf...

Cool avatar btw!

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the blue :) Very nice. Very UN-tactical.

kikaida and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Brain Bag,Synapse 19 and the Gamut and they are each different in many ways.
    I used the Gamut for the first time a few weeks ago for a week long trip to Maine where I drove there and flew back. I was really frustrated with the bag and found it to be limiting for me in capacity and ease of packing. The return flight through Bangor was horrible with the TSa and I am still not sure that I got everything back that had been in the bag?
    I just could not get anything to fit anywhere basically! There is so little front to back depth that I am not sure I could get a DSLR and lenses in it though I didn't try.

The S19 is an all time favorite of mine though it does look silly on me I think and the BB is just huge most of the time and unless I need the separate main compartments they tend to limit my large item carry more than I like.

So when I got back from Maine I knew I had to go the Colorado but didn't have enough time to get a S25 or SERT bag and I snagged a Rush 24 locally and I used it last week in Colorado driving both ways.

I AM LOVING THE HECK OUT OF THIS BAG!

I see now why they are so popular for sure. I have a Moab 10 already but never loved the sling carry but the R24 is amazing for the outside size I think!

So why is it tough through TSA exactly?

I wish I had gotten one sooner.

11. rmrf

rmrf Loaded Pockets

Thanks, EZDog for detailed response. You confirmed my worries, that I just have EDC GAS :)

Well. I never had problems with TSA, but guy with tactical backpack on a plane or in amusement park looks weird IMO :)

12. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Why do you think the TSA gave you such a hard time with your Gamut?

13. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Camelbak Urban Assault Concealment.

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Northface has alot of nice packs too :)!

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It was 2 things really.

1-Evidently they could not see through the bag as they can with other bags and everything had to come out and into the little bowls for another X-ray?

2-It is so hard to get things back into the bag that I was holding up the line. I ended up having to just cram it all back in anywhere I could and sort it out later.

I like the bag in general and of course shelled out the money for it but then when trying to match it with my things I discovered there is just not a lot of room in it even though it is a huge looking bag.
    I was able to literally take everything out of the Gamut and drop it into the R24 and then also add the contents of another bag,a briefcase into the Rush too.
    Even then there was plenty of space left and the Rush carried well.

steeps likes this.
  16. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I was just curious if it had to do with the Vertx logo or what. I wonder if it has some sort of X-ray machine blocking technology. Have you contacted them about it? Could it have been your laptop blocking the view?

17. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Osprey makes really great packs too. I use a Quantum as my large pack. But they have a good range of sizes.

18. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Maybe get the red Rush 24 they originally made for Fire. Most people walking around a park would just see a regular red backpack, not tactical bag.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kikaida and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  19. ryuwins

ryuwins Empty Pockets

TNF Surge 2. I had Rush 12 and returned it for the Surge 2 (all black). Great quality, discreet, and durable. I use it as my EDC, diaper, gym, and weekender bag. It holds my laptop, tablet, charger, FAK, change of clothes, Maxpedition Fatty, baby stuff (diapers, blanket, wipes, bottle), Nalgene water bottle, and I still have plenty of room. I'll do a load out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Nice bag.
    Is that an expandable section at the back? So it could be opened up sort of like a drop-pouch, but to stuff your jackets and bulky gear etc?

Do you use that expander section much?