1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Citizen Skyhawk Accuracy

Discussion in 'Watches' started by bquinlan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Can electronic watches "learn" to be more accurate over time? When I first got my Citizen Skyhawk Titanium my rough estimate was that it was losing 12-15 seconds per year. Which was very good. :)

Since I got my Casio PAW-1300 it has pretty much stayed on my wrist except for very rare dress occasions. Yesterday I pulled it out of the window for the first time in just over a year. It had lost less than 3 seconds in that time. Which is more than very good. ;D

I am delighted, but can anyone explain the improvement in accuracy?

--Bob Q

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I'm not a watch expert, but I think so. When I bought my Citizen Ecodrive (basic quartz analog watch), I was initially disappointed with its accuracy, it would gain about a second per week. But now, a couple of years later, it has settled down and seems to keep very good time. It still runs a bit fast, but so little that I haven't even checked how much.

3. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

it's the wrist heat.
    Seriously.

when the watch it's on your wrist it stays at an higher temperature than when it's off,
    this affect the lubricants inside, as well the metal parts and even the quartz oscillator.

4. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Normally that would make perfect sense to me, but in this case I'm not so sure... The Skyhawk actually has a built-in thermocouple that allows it to compensate for temperature variations.

Now I want to put it under a heat lamp for a few months and see what happens. :laugh:

--Bob Q

5. Denix

Denix Loaded Pockets

I'm always amazed at the Skyhawk accuracy. Mine loses about 9 seconds per year and has been consistent since I got it 4 years ago. By the way Bob, you're the one who convinced me to buy it when I was asking for advice at that time :) Thank you for convincing me to get a great watch O0

Guy

6. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I'm glad you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine!

--Bob Q

7. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

Well my Skyhawk AT continues to be really accurate - seems to lose about zero seconds a week! :D

I am mostly a mechanical watch guy but solar/radio controlled watches have completely won me over - I have three of them and all are marvels of efficiency.

Still - my old Ti Skyhawk was pretty darn accurate - I don't remember the actual figures but I never worried about it being far off.

8. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Any watch that has the radio update feature should appear to be remarkably accurate. As long at is in a position to receive the signal it will update every night. You should observe virtually no deviation when observed on a daily basis.

I have a Casio Waveceptor that I use as my "master" timekeeper. It updates itself nightly and I set my other watches and clocks by it.

As always, when checking for deviation on your watch, the source used is really the most important element. A time signal updated watch is probably the best source.

Mark