1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Christie knife nostalgia.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jackknife, Sep 3, 2012.

1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

When I was a kid, there was a little sliding blade pen knife on the market called a Christy knife. Kind of a stamped out metal frame handle with a razor thin blade that slid up out of the handle. The blade locked in a couple of positions like half out, three quarters out, and in truth was a very handy little cutter.

For the past month I've been using one again, and I'd forgotten how handy it was. I had been rooting around in some very old boxes up in the attic when I found the old one my dad had given me. The blade was worn down thinner than it had been when new, but a few strokes on a diamond rod and it was good to go.

The Christy knife company had never been a big operation, and they went out of business when the owner, a mister Earl (?) Christy died. Now I understand his son had restarted the company, and I ordered a new replacement blade for 5 dollars. The new blade fit right into the old frame with a minutes work. Two screws and it was done.

The Christy has gotten kind of expensive for what it is now, and the one hand knife is the norm these days. But way back in the 1930's and 40's, the Christy was the original one hand or easy opener. They were even used by air crews during WW2. I just may buy a new one just for the sake of nostalgia, not to mention the tool like aspect of the little knife. People who see it are captivated by it, even in this extreme political correct Washington D.C. area. It goes right under the radar, and the security people who do see it, think of it as just a little key chain knife/trinket. But the thin blade opens boxes, cuts string and rope, opens those blasted plastic blister packages that almost need explosives, and do snack duty in the kitchen slicing off a piece of cheddar for a cracker. Add in the fact that replacement blades can be had cheap, and the Christy knife is still a viable little pen knife for our times.

Tony Sal and Gnarly like this.
  2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got pics? Sounded familiar at first before you got to the part about locking in different possitions and one handed opening. I remember having a knife that opened weird as a kid. You sorta flipped one scale over and in doing so pushed the blade out the front. Nifty concept, but really cheaply built. Good thing my dad had bought like 50 of them for $10 or something rediculous like that :)

Tony Sal likes this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I'm a mediocre photographer at best, so I'd recomend just google Christy knife company now that their back in business. They have good pics and better description than I can do.

I'd forgotten what a nice little knife it is. It's a case of the more you use it, the more you appreciate the design. There's more advanced knives on the market, there's even better knives on the market. But rediscovering my old Christy knife was like finding an old 1960's VW bug in a garage and taking it for a drive. Just neat!

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

I think it's wonderful these folks are back in business! I remember having one of the Christy knives myself, many years ago. I'd give anything if I could find it, but alas, I'm afraid it's long gone. Our fellow forum member DBR talks about them, and has some pictures on his website. (must reading for any forum member btw) Here: http://www.donrearic.com/kstuff1.html
    Looks like I'll just have to order some new Christy knives, and make sure everyone in the family has one! Thanks for the info. :)

Tony Sal and DBR like this.
  5. Alloy Addict

Alloy Addict Loaded Pockets

I have an older one that I bought at an "antique store" (junk shop) about 10 years ago. I bought it for the nostalgia, but enjoy carrying it now and then. It is great for opening boxes since the blade is so thin and can be opened partially to avoid cutting what's in the box.

Tony Sal and DBR like this.
  6. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Well, I'm absolutely thrilled to say the least! As in my post above, I just figured the old Christy knife I had in the back of my memory was long gone, but I remembered it. Then lo and behold, while playin' around in the garage yesterday, I found it!!! Wooooot! I 'bout had the big one I tell 'ya! There it layed, in the bottom of a cardboard box! Friggin' awesome! So, I cleaned it up, and stuck 'er in my pocket! I just had to bump this thread for those of you that remember them, or had/have one. I'll still get some new ones, to show support for the Christy company, now that they're back in business, and as you can see from the pics, I need a new blade for this one. I've had this one for probably 35 to 40 years, and when I was young and dumb, (now I'm old and dumb :rofl:) I sure as heck didn't have a clue how to properly sharpen or treat a knife blade. I had ground and reprofiled the tip like twice. Don't really remember why, but I'm sure I had what I thought was a good reason at the time. Anyway, I'll pop a new one in it, and when I take it apart, I'll clean it more thoroughly, and polish the frame parts and pieces a little to breath new life in her. Here's my long lost, and newly rediscovered Christy knife. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the thread, and particularly jackknife, who started it. Also our fellow forum member DBR, who has some pics on his blog. Without which, I probably would have never even looked for the little Christy! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Hey mrlysle, you got plenty of blade left on that knife. It just needs an edge on it. A little time on a stone and it'll be good to go.Maybe a little fine gun oil and a clean rag.

I've been carrying mine non stop for a while now, and I don't know if I can find a better plastic blister pack opener. With the blade locked out part way, it makes very short work of the packages. It's a wonderful neat thing to rediscover an old tool from your youth.

Tony Sal likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Here's their homepage.

I've seen plastic knock-offs of these knives, but I was too nervous to trust them, as they were cheaply constructed. I didn't realize that they were modeled off of a quality product. I could see one of these making a good key ring knife.

Tony Sal and flatblackcapo like this.
  9. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Daym you, Red Baron jackknife.
    :mad:
    Once again: you've cost me $.

10. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

You're very welcome, Sir!

Tony Sal, Adahn and mrlysle like this.
  11. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

this was a little discovery, never heard of the Christie knife, thanks

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I finally learned to post pics since this post was made. Here's my Christy knife. Blade is a bit worn down, and Ihave a new one that I need to slip in there eventually.

[​IMG]

Closed;
    [​IMG]

New one on deck with spare blade in box. Still a family operation, and still made in Ohio, U.S.A. by the grandson of the founder.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by jackknife, Oct 12, 2014
  13. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

I've never heard of them before but it looks like a handy little knife. Too bad shipping to Canada is the same price as the knife.

Tony Sal and Adahn like this.
  14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I had the same discovery about shipping to Europe, even though it could be shipped in an envelope :(
    On fleabay shipping is cheaper but the knife is $10 more, go figure!

Tony Sal likes this.
  15. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

What a cool thread, I hope the grandson has a good go of it. I checked out the homepage, love all the original looking artwork and all. Very cool.

Tony Sal likes this.
  16. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

They are still there, still making fine little knives in the U.S.!

Tony Sal, angusW and kertap75 like this.
  17. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Glad to see your still kicken, stay good "G"!!

18. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Yea they are still made right here in oh

Jake

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Called them and ordered two more, to give as gifts, a few days ago.
    Spent 15 minutes on the phone with the Grandson & his wife.

Forgot about the time difference.
    Realized it, by the third ring.
    Didn't really expect anyone to answer.
    They answered the company phone nearly an hour after their closing time, on a Friday evening.

20. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

When I entered the fire service (1983) these were THE knife to have in your pocket. However, after breaking two I never bought another. I tried very hard to like the knife, but just never warmed up to it.

kertap75 and swany66675 like this.