1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chris Reeves, worth it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Nov 21, 2019.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I vote yes. I bought a large sebenza 21 in cf/ti from knifeart many years ago. When I received the knife, all three hype on the forums made it seem like the knife would be some godly knife that was literally perfect top to bottom. I enjoyed the quality. The fit and finish was perfect. It's tolerances were so good that you can assemble any which way and it'll still open smooth. It's two slabs, a blade, two washers and some hardware. Super simple. Titanium doesn't rust which is nice. I didn't like that the blade was a pain to sharpen because it wasn't able to be sharpened on a sharp marker. It's very stout. He designed it down to the washers... and when I sold it 8 years later to fund something else, I was only out $50 from what I paid for it new. And the amount i used it, took it apart and admired it, it was more than $50 worth. When the 31 Comes out, I'm getting one.

ballistic likes this.
  2. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

$50 to own a CRK knife for 8 years (plus interest on the investment...) is really not bad at all, considering what you were carrying such a quality knife. The 31 has only slight incremental improvements. I'm planning to pick up a used 21, as people leave that to move on to a 31.

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

There was an ad here: “Only a Mercedes is a Mercedes.” Make if it what you will.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

Adahn likes this.
  4. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I'd like to argue against the point that Nick is stressing in his video.
    The Sebenza premiered in 1991 and was built for 28 years until a slightly modified version of essentially the same knife took its place. The name Sebenza stayed, only the suffix 21 became 31.
    Of course, Nick is right when he says that has been a huge standstill CRK has had, building the same model for so long.
    But a knife is a knife. It can only do so much as open, lock, close and cut. The competition upped their game since the Sebenza had its debut.
    Their knifes do essentially the same, because there is nothing more (or less) a knife can do and the user's expectations have not changed.
    A folding knife needs to fold and it needs to knife.
    Another company that does overpriced stuff you can get at a much cheaper rate, runs its models for ages and has the audaciousness to constantly raise the prices of those products is a small manufacturer of wrist watches located in Switzerland. They are called Rolex.
    They raise their prices to protect the value of the product. When you buy a Rolex and take good care of it, you can sell it in the future - and you will get as much as it was worth when you bought it - including inflation.
    Wristwatches, as knifes, don't do too much in terms of evolution. They show the time. And maybe the date.
    Apple made that ridiculous gold watch in 2015 which retailed at ten grand plus tax. Since it was not a watch, but a smartwatch, it was a piece of technology. One that became obsolete in late 2018 when it was excluded from the OS update - from the most expensive smartwatch ever to a piece of garbage with enough gold for maybe two tooth fillings in three years' time. A Rolex, or 25 Sebenzas bought for ten grand in 2015 and kept in a safe would sell for at least as much as they cost back then. One of the main reasons for that is that they have not evolved from generation zero to generation five in those three years.
    It takes a certain boldness to hit the market with an item that you consider the ultima ratio and further cement your belief in that by not changing a thing for ages. Instead of evolution, the user gets stability. This only works for things that do not need to change, though.
    The use of a pocket knife has somewhat changed in the last hundred years, because our life has changed.
    We don't do many of the things we did back then. We stopped keeping livestock and planting our gardens with edible things - many of us use a knife for cutting open those amazon parcels containing EDC equipment. Gutting an animal is not among the things many of us ever did.
    But as a wristwatch stayed a wristwatch, a knife stays a knife.

5. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Two brands worth every penny to me. Not necessarily as an investment (although great bonus) but as high quality gear that will withstand the test of time.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, my dad bought an 'A' class years ago after a VW Passat and a Saab 9000.
    The Saab was the most emotional car to him somehow but he seriously hated the Mercedes.
    Plastic all around, bad manufacturing, bad Mercedes bank.
    Since then he's a happy Skoda Octavia driver.

To each their own I guess, for me that's my sould red Mazda 6, most beloved car right behind the MX-5 I had before the kids ;)

And for anyone who might say this is not what the thread is aboutwell, you're right, maybe :p

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

OT: My “best” car was a Volvo 850 T5 2.0. Bought it two years old and had it for about six years. No rattling, no squeaking, just a solid tank.

Like a good knife

Now I got a T-Roc with a phat plus in the feature list. If the company pays for it, including effing everything, every car is you favorite car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Adahn like this.
  8. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Whether or not something is worth it is really a personal decision based on what is important to you. Some people are willing to spend lots of money on the largest/greatest HD Smart TV, luxury cars, “best” smart phone, latest name brand clothes, etc. I’m not that person, but I will spend what they would consider excessive amounts on a good flashlight, knife, etc. It is all in what you value. If you value good material and quality craftsmanship in a knife, then Chris Reeves’ knives may be worth it. If you are fine with a cheap blade because you would rather just buy a new one when you break it, or you don’t care about fit & finish as long as it is sharp; then Chris Reeves’ knives probably aren’t worth it.

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That’s a 200 USD knife. Compare?

10. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

Thanks did all the responses. I have read through all of them. I know there are other knives out there for less money that are great knives. But I want to buy a knife that is somewhat of a conversation starter when I pull it out of my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

To each their own again, I just hate city tanks. If I could I'd get another MX-5, of course my wife would need a driver's licence first :p

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

My last OT I swear
    If you drive several hours on the Autobahn, you wanna have a convenient car, good seats, automatic cruise control, blah blah blah. In yer go-kart car you’d be dead in your seat after three hours. When I get out after six, I just go for a small beer and enjoy a witty conversation.

That’s like uhmmm a knife?

Adahn likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is ridiculous really,there is no way anyone else can say what is right for me.
    Some may agree with your choices and others will not,neither is wrong or right.

I can't understand why this is just not obvious?

The only person I have to agree with about an items worth is myself as I will be buying it or not.

14. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Exactly. What is worth it to one may not be worth it to another. What one person is willing to spend money on isn’t as important to another.

Moshe ben David and nosuchagency like this.
  15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, I went 6 hours on the Autobahn with it and it was ok.
    But of course I did that because I wanted to, not because I had to do it for job reasons.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I‘m zipping it. People start taking it personally, although they’ve never been addressed.

17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats not my feeling about it at all.

You just keeping suggesting that there are some kind of universal ideas about value and worth that are simply your feelings about value and worth.

Likening it to the notion that everyone would prefer anything in any endeavor because it is obvious to you is exactly the reason that many of us keep wondering how you can think it?

What I like is just what I like whether it makes sense to anyone else or not and my notion of value is based on my notion alone,I can appreciate that others will not feel the same as I do and that is life.

Except where playing with your phone while driving is concerned of course!:censored:

It is all in your point of view.

Adahn and Moshe ben David like this.
  18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

May I point you at my post which is #15 in this thread? The tl;dr that is.

You keep yours, I got mine.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you think this clears up your position here it seems to me to simply make my point stronger?

Everything you say in post 15 seems contradicted when you seem to suggest that the things that make your Autobahn car choice suggest that at least this is something that we will all agree with?

It is certainly possible or even likely that I just am not understanding your meaning here as is often the case on the internet and if so then accept my apologies for seeming to just argue with you about this but so far it doesn't sound like I am alone in what I am hearing?

Anyway I am done here,my point is simply that I will choose what I choose as right for me,its all we can do in the end.

20. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I personally enjoy the tolerances and simplistic craftsmanship that goes into the knife and am willing to pay for that. A work of art one might say. Yes all knives cut. At that point get a folding box cutter & a box of blades & call it a day. You'll always have a sharp, cheap and functional knife.

CV801 likes this.