1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chris Reeves, worth it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Nov 21, 2019.

1. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

*ting ting ting* BTT gents!

No a CRK doesn’t deploy like a Benchmade. It’s stiffer, but smoother. It glides while under some tension. Benchmade is a lose, wrist flick knife. An Inkosi is a thumb stud opener, no wrist flick snap open. Actually, if I remember correctly, the information says not to flick it.

And now... this

[​IMG]

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

2. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Got a bargain on mine second hand, (Lefty Large Sebenza) better than new, the first owner had the frame customized with grooves on each side and refinished. Locks up like a vault, best knife purchase I have ever made. Not a safe queen. Worth every penny.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xevious and That Movie Guy like this.
  3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Probably the most expensive knife I have is the Spyderco PITS, due to the Ti scales, travelling across the world and our taxes, the price puts it out of a lot of people's reach I feel, which is a shame because the design is unique.

I carry mine 24/7, it is my 'go to' knife so I'm certainly using it, that's the main thing I guess.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

5. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

For me a knife in this price region is out of reach atm, but I doubt it would be a Sebbie.

The only time I had this feeling that I 'want' this particular knife was with a Böker Urban Trapper in carbon fiber right in the Künzli shop in Berne.
    Bökers are not known for their QC but this one just sticked to my hand.
    190 Swiss Francs (same in $) was a bit too much for me back then but who knows, maybe some other xmas :p

Anyways, it's funny for me when non-knife folks look at me with raised eyebrows when I say my work edc knife was $50, not to mention my home edc with $140. That money is much better invested into the newest phartsmone for how much? $1.200? Well, mine was $300 and that's well enough for me as it's one of the few potent devices small enough for my work pants pocket.

To each their own, try what you like in a shop, buy it there if you can (or order it online and risk there won't be a rl shop next year) and sell it if it's not your thing. Or gift it to someone who might like it.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The whole smart phone thing has got out of hand too, I don't see the point in paying that sort of money for something that will be outdated in a couple of years time, thankfully there's many good sub £200 phones on the market that can make calls, access the internet, take pictures etc etc.:)

Adahn likes this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Some of us no longer have to carry a computer everywhere we go thanks to Smartphones.

Some of us also need to be able to work anywhere we are,the fact that you don't might have something to do with your ideas about the phones?

Not sure what this has to do with a Reeves knife at all but we each carry what we find useful whether it makes sense to anyone else or not.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

“Is it worth ‘it?’”
    For me, yes. And allow me to define “it?”
    • Resharpening on occasion
    • Cleaning after each use
    • Lubricating 4-5 times a year
    • Carrying it in a sheath IN my trouser pocket
    • Not laying it around after usage
    • Not lending it to anyone
    • Adding a fob on it to get better hold of it during usage
    • Not replacing it as my daily carry for very close to, if not already or over 2 decades
    I acquired it 20 years ago and I didn’t pay $400 for it or even half that amount. I didn’t “cry” when I made the purchase. Never thought about it that much in the context articulated in this thread.

I don’t consider it a badge or status symbol of any sort. It just sits in my pocket until I need to use it. When I use it, it works very well.

I don’t know very much about the boutique knife crafters and the many variants of blade steel; however, I DO know a little about MY CRK Small Sebenza.

I don’t own that many folding knives that are designed to be carried daily. I’ve only acquired two in the last ten years. Not because I was looking to replace my Small Sebenza, but because I was NOT able to have the Small Sebenza in my pocket at the time that I needed it.

Are those two that I recently acquired better than the small Sebenza better? Beats me! I don’t care. As soon as I was able to carry the Small Sebenza again, I did so.

It has not saved my life, but then again I don’t rely on it in that capacity. It has just been an object that has made my life easier in a specific group of circumstances.

Would I carry those two others again voluntarily in lieu of the Small Sebenza again. Yes, probably if the Small Sebenza failed to cut OR is unavailable.

If I found a folding knife that met my same criteria as the CRK Small Sebenza 20 years ago, I would likely be carrying that one.

For those of you much more knowledgeable than me, convince me about what was better 20 years ago AND what is better NOW than the CRK Small Sebenza for a daily carry small folding knife.

Last edited by 0dBm, Nov 25, 2019
    #48 0dBm, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    chavez, Buckeye Jake, xevious and 3 others like this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Whether it's a knife, mobile phone or vehicle etc, my point is that you don't have to pay through the nose for 'the best one' of anything. Take the likes of Apple & BMW for example, they charge people a fortune for a 'superior' product but actually they ain't.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

And my point is that they might not be the best for you but without a doubt for me Apple is the only thing that works for what I need.

I don't need to buy the biggest or priciest maybe but I do need the ecosystem that they have built and that I get paid to support.

I sometimes wish it was not the case but........

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I consider myself brand agnostic, I switch between brands all the time, looking for the best value, i.e. my preferences vs. price. For some reason I keep coming back to Apple. Their products are far from perfect, but I've been even more disappointed when trying alternatives.
    Coincidentally both my current cars are BMWs. They are my first BMWs ever, and was chosen solely because they seemed to be the best alternative for me at that point in time. I'm not a car guy and have never cared much what brand I drive. I buy what I think will be most suitable car for my current needs, within my budget.
    Again, it's the same with apple and BMW as with some knive brands. They charge a premium, but if it that product has properties you can't find elsewhere, it might be worth that premium to someone.

Since black Friday is coming up, it reminds me that it's exactly 10 years since I bought my current 2009 iMac 27". I went with the highest spec'ed version because I was hoping to have it for a long time. It has been my main computer at home for all these years and run without issues. No reinstall, manual maintenance or anything. It still runs like a clock.
    Back when I bought it, I had never tried an apple product before. My old windows computer was overdue for a replacement and I was researching to build a new one to run either windows or linux. Anyhow, I was heavily into photography at that time, and even if I bought components and built the computer myself, I could not get something that matched that iMac on specs at a similar price. Mainly because of the incredibly high quality screen, but screen quality was important to me, so the value was there. When I started using it and got used to the new OS I found even more value. I can not know how any other similarly spec'ed computer from a different maker would have preformed during these 10 years, but owning that Mac has been a worry free experience, where I have been able to focus all my time on my work rather than maintenance, configuration and upgrades, that used to distract me before. Maybe I was just lucky, but it's something I truly appreciate and it's not something you can read off a spec sheet.

12. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I might as well chime in on this. I own 5 CRKs so I'll give you my experience. They absolutely come with a break in period. If this is in your pocket every day, it won't take that long to loosen up and operate smoothly. If in rotation, you'll probably hate it. I carry any of mine maybe twice a year. The best one I own is a large micarta with trit insert. I bought it used and it flips like butter. Second best is a large Wilson Combat I bought new. The 2 least expensive CRKs I have purchased.

You are paying for some longevity here. If something goes wrong, breaks or you just want to give your knife some love, you can send it in for a spa treatment. You'll go without it for several weeks but it will come back to you like new. And it's easy to purchase any of the few parts you might ever need. So is it a great value right out of the box? I don't believe it is. However if your intent is to keep it for a long time and carry it regularly, I doubt it will let you down.

13. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I think you can argue about redundant values in a knife.
    I'm not calling names here, but you can absolutely get a knife with Ti handle and S35V blade for less than half of what a CRK will cost you.
    It'll not be produced locally and when you take it apart, the pieces might not slot in perfectly upon reassembly. The grind of the edge might not be as good, too. But you'll get a fair quality and a usable knife. One that will open by the intended opening mechanism, lock (or not in case it's non locking) up, do the cutting and fold in when you disengage the lock.
    All of these things might not work as beautifully as they do on a CRK, but they will work reliably.

I mean,
    we all can agree that a knife that does not open/lock/close as intended is useless.
    We can also agree that a knife with a soft edge that will not stay sharp until the end of the intended task is also useless.

But once the build quality and the used materials hit a certain threshold, the knife becomes usable.
    Once we reach the material selection that premium knife makers use, the differences between an expensive knife and a cheap one become more subtle. Both will work, but one will work a little better.

You can take a non wine person and let them taste a bottle that's 1.99, a bottle that's 15, one that's 80 and one that's 3000. How much difference will this person make out between the bottle that's 80 and the bottle that's 3000 ? You need training to appreciate that and a 3000 dollar bottle of of wine is wasted on a person that cannot distinguish it from a bottle that's less than a tenth of that price.

With knifes, it's much the same, but there is another aspect: The intended use. When you need a blade for cutting tin cans, prying open metal stuff that's stuck and so forth, will you use a $400 knife ? Certainly not, unless money means nothing to you. With extremely hard use, you will wear out any blade sooner or later.
    You will find an equilibrium between price and quality and choose the tool that lasts longest for the money paid. So not the cheapest, but surely none with unnecessary bling.
    A connaisseur will appreciate the subtle nuances, be it in the way an expensive wine coats your throat with a hint of elderwood and blackberry or the way a perfectly machined and polished blade will slide into the lock effortlessly.

At the end of the day, all a knife does is cut (and pry, and lever and so on) things. When you are able to revel in the way a great knife does that ever so slightly better than a good, cheap one - and you can afford it - good on you! Enjoy!
    When all you need is a blade in your pocket because you don't really give two pickles about how the finer workings of the process are mastered because you care about the result - also fine. You can safe a lot of money that would be wasted with an extra expensive knife.
    Both of you are right.

14. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

I bought a small sebenza with rosewood inlays about 10 years ago and carry it every day. Beautiful design, look, S35v, no regrets.

Moshe ben David and CV801 like this.
  15. Jwalt83

Jwalt83 Empty Pockets

A chris Reeve knive is very much worth the investment they are flawless the feel of 1 is something unexplainable once in hand you'll understand.... and since when did protechs benchmades and microtech ultratechs become gas station knives those are still good knives it should be about what u like and what your knife budget entails not about how much money u can throw at something

16. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I will own a Chris Reeves knife at some point. I have seen too many people I respect on-line share valuable insight into this brand for me to be against ownership. The price of admission is high. But I highly respect what goes into a knife like this. It's a terrific feeling when you have a great tool that stays with you through life. You take care of it and it takes care of you. I can't budget for a new one, but I do plan to pick up one in the future when a collector decides to let go of it and timing brings me to it. I know they retain value well, but still it will be cheaper than buying new.

17. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Btw, any recommendations as to a good forum to obtain a used Chris Reeves knife? I'm thinking BladeForums, as there seems to be a very solid community there. But I don't know much about the extent of knife related forums on the Internet.

18. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Usual Suspects Network (USN) is where I got mine second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moshe ben David and xevious like this.
  19. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I recently saw that video and was going to post it. You beat me too it

ccwaters likes this.
  20. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

And naturally to avoid compromising his public objectivity, he didn't say clearly any names of makers for lower prices that are extremely close in terms of machining & design quality. What are some of the "up & coming" makers to look for?

Last edited by xevious, Nov 27, 2019
    #60 xevious, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    That Movie Guy likes this.