1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chris Reeves, worth it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Nov 21, 2019.

1. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

How much is it worth for the locking mechanism not to fail and get seriously injured? How much is it worth to maintain an edge, for the edge not to chip or the blade corrode? How much is it worth for the folding mechanism not to constantly loosen? Cost/benefit ratios/analysis are subjective depending on personal needs/use cases/preferences.

ThaMac and That Movie Guy like this.
  2. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Wouldn’t I already open with “quality and luxury are not necessarily the same thing”. Luxury is not for me. Add bling and it’s meh. Quality is. Thus I own a plain Inkosi. And I own suits from a local tailor. Armani and Gucci are for bragging. A well tailored suit in a good cloth will be like a second skin after a while. Nothing to brag about. Not for one season or fashion but for many years to come. See the difference?
    Ask a photographer why they use, let’s say Leica or a Kontax. The pictures might not be better. But they work. In freezing cold, bloody heat, moisture, after being banged against a car door. Well that was for the old days, maybe.
    Considering that, am I dinosaur?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

#22 ThaMac, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    ballistic, aicolainen and A.B. like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

And I will just say again,let someone else take the hit for buying one of these new.

I really truly did not appreciate the value and quality standards that these knives are manufactured too until I got my used Sebe' that I was told had issues from the previous owner for a crazy cheap price.
    I had done enough research to believe that there could be little wrong with it that a takedown and rebuild cold not restore to perfection and that if that wasn't enough that I could send it back to the Mothership and that they would fix it period.!

So I literally had nothing to loose by giving it a shot myself and this one also has a scale set that I had never seen before as well though I did call and verify with Reeves that it was an Authentic set that they only ran a few copies of too.

So I got the knife and took it apart,I cleaned everything and burnished the washers and went to put it back together and all I can tell you about the quality I learned right there.
    I have taken a lot of knives apart and none has ever gone back together like this Reeves did/does,not a single one!

Again something you just have to experience to accept maybe but these knives are simply built better than anything else that I have and to me that equates to long term satisfaction and knowing that I am getting my monies worth almost regardless of the ultimate price.......almost.

In use this knife is one of the most amazing that I own and it does not operate like a Grip which once you pull the Axis lock open the blade can swing free thus facilitating the Axis "Flip" but instead the Reeves just has a perfect sort of slide to it that ends in a satisfying sharp click upon lockup and an equal sense of this on release,or at least each example that I have held does this same thing and makes this same noise!

YMMV obviously but also know that it is tough to loose money when buying any Reeve it seems so why not just try for yourself and see?

[​IMG]

4. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

@ThaMac and @EZDog pretty much sum up why the Sebenza is worth the money for me.
    It's actually so good, I'm about to sell a bunch of knives so I can get another one. It took me a while to understand that a lot of the knives I bought was just me unconsciously looking for Sebenzaesque quality and utility in more affordable alternatives. The outcome was a lot of less satisfying knives with a total price tag well above a new Sebenza.
    Another thing with CRK, and especially the Sebenza, that I don't think have been mentioned yet; you can always replace it. OK, you will probably cry a little when you loose it or beat it to death cause you know you just lost a pile of cash, but at least you're not crying because you lost your best knife and you're likely to never own it ever again. This is not always the case with the ephemeral nature of some other models and brands. At least to me, that's one reason I'm less concerned about using my Sebenza for tougher tasks than some of my Spydercos costing less than half of the Sebenza.
    One other is cleaning and maintenance. It's just so easy.

I also understand that people are different, with different values, preferences, financial situations, needs, use cases and all of that. This can significantly impact what one prefer. CRK isn't right for everyone.
    It seems like the OP is interested in CRK, and can afford a CRK, if that's the case, I can't really see any reason to not give it a try.

5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, but like with any object, you don't always have to pay through the nose to get 'the best' as such.:)

Personally I think that a mid range Spyderco meets all the above requirements for example.:)

Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  6. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

I own a spyderco, southern grind, benchmade ,three sisters forge , three rivers manufacturing. And of course several reeve's . The reeve small sebenza is a great edc . It is my favorite and worth the money. That said one could buy two three rivers manufacturing knives for the price of a small sebenza 375 . A little neutron and an atom.
    Now thats a tough call . Any Chinese knives no thanks.
    My old sebenza is flawless and has been my edc for a while . Also buying used is not an bad idea. My like new in the box spare sebenza would sell in 300 dollars range .

Jake

ballistic likes this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

My esee 4 will outperform any folder. For a fraction of the price. And on the plus side, I can sharpen it on a brick if I have nothing else. I like nice things as much as the next guy, and I have owned some high end stuff. But sold it. Can afford it, but I would rather spend that money on my wife and kids. We have a saying here. Loosely translated: you can ask whatever you want if the idiot wants to pay for it...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

8. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Not to me. A knife is a knife. Depends on what you want to carry.

10. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

I can get a 12.8ft arc! You?

Sheesh talk about derailed, nice work fellas!

A.B. likes this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

You're right. My apologies.

12. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Show me a Spyderco with 1 piece Ti handles like the Nirvana or Paysa and I’ll show you prices that exceed a Chris Reeve.

13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Why does it have to be titanium?

14. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Apples to apples.

Regarding a fixed blade - totally irrelevant to this thread.

OP stated he’s in the market for a Ti folder so stay OT.

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Ever handled a puuko with a birch handle? If you want to pay premium for a knife, then get a real work of art...
    And no it is not. An apple is an apple, and a knife is a knife. Not that hard?

16. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

See above, OP isn’ looking for a “piece of art” puuko with a birch handle, you’re clearly in the wrong thread.

In another thread:
    So you’re recommending a Spyderco Ti folder over there but talking about fixed blade puuko with birch handles and other fixed blades over here? I thought a knife was a knife??

Mod: please clean this up to posts that are OT.

#36 ballistic, Nov 23, 2019
  17. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Disagree. Where is the fun in that

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

Moshe ben David and Adahn like this.
  18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I were thinking of the blade material and edge holding abilities mainly, sure handle is important too but you can get strength etc without having to go for a one piece Ti affair.

ballistic likes this.
  19. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

I don’t disagree however OP stated he was looking for a Ti folder so a fair comparison with comparable Ti Spydercos shows that CRK pricing is actually very reasonable.

#39 ballistic, Nov 23, 2019
    Buckeye Jake likes this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Agreed!
    I have a Techno for example and as great as it is it is no Reeve for sure.
    The level of refinement and feel is just not in the same league to me overall.

Having said this though I have a lot of different knives for a lot of different reasons and I guess I thought that each of them was worth the price when I got them,it isn't until later that my mind is made up for sure.

ballistic likes this.