1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chris Reeves, worth it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

I am in the mood for a titanium folder. I want something nice. I’d prefer USA made. Budget of $500. I was looking at Chris Reeves, but is that really the way to go? I like the Sebenza with the inlays in the handle.

Am I buying just based on name and reputation? Are there any others I should consider? Do Chris Reeves have a smooth one hand deployment? I really like that one haded thumb deployment my Benchmade Grip has. Does CR deploy like that? Would love some input.

Some background on my tastes: I currently have an Ultratech and 3 protechs in my collection. So I’m looking for a more traditional folder knife for the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Movie Guy likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes!

It is hard to explain how "Right" the Reeves knife feels really though too.

I have several Grip of many different builds and they are not alike at all really aside from all being folders that cut stuff.
    The Axis lock is so different than the way the Reeves operate that bo they are not that similar and yes the feel of the operation of a Sebenza just needs to be experienced to understand honestly.
    I know this does not give you a lot of incentive to get one but all I can say is that they are sublime and flawless and the combined effort they build in to reduce tolerances and variations between copies of the same knife allow them to make a simple and unique knife.

I would spend a little time over on some dedicated Blade Sites reading up some and maybe you will better understand what I am talking about.

So I have never seen or handled anything that seems more perfect to me as a short answer.

I will also likely never buy one new from a dealer as they are on the used market a lot and are easy to clean,lube and make work perfectly myself for a lot less money but I feel the same way about a lot of items that we talk about here so YMMV there too.

DO IT!!!!

aicolainen likes this.
  3. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

An overwhelming “yes”. IMHO they are amongst a small number of benchmark knives against which all others are judged. Their reputation is well earned and their quality is amongst the best. proud owner of a Sebanza, no other skin in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

When I had the chance to handle one I was not impressed.

Maybe they are a kind of benchmark, for sure they where when they started the modern pocket knife craze.

If you have a store in your area, go and hanlde one to feel if you like it (als size wise), if not, get one from a legitimate place.

Used from a forum like this, new only from legitimate dealers.
    Handle it, play with it, if you don't like it, sell it with only a little loss, if any.

(My problem maybe was the size. The Large is too big for me, the Small is, well, too small.
    Best compromise is the Sanrenmu 910 series, but well, some people might call that a knock-off)

xevious, karlito and A.B. like this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Too much for a folder. Sorry.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

BklynBoy and Busmech like this.
  6. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

They're among the best of the best. I have large and small sebbies, a small Inkosi and a Mnandi. All fantastic knives. I gravitate towards a smaller blade for my EDC so the small Inkosi and Mnandi are my most frequent carries.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  7. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I handled one at a knife store and to be honest, not impressed given the price. It is a fine smooth knife but just not for me at the price point. .At this point I believe you are now paying for the the name and reputation it was build on. Maybe I am simply not as discerning as other knuts are don't appreciate it. If at all possible handle one for yourself.

8. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

They look very nice but over $400 for a knife... I don't use them for a living.
    I am sure some folks would love them.
    But, not for me.

Busmech likes this.
  9. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

There are four popular things in a knife that turn me off. These are about design, not quality. These features are just things I don't like generally.

Metal handles
    Frame lock/liner lock
    Hollow grind
    Flipper (protruding) I do like front flippers

I forgive one or two occasionally but most of the time any one will turn me off of a knife. Chris Reeve is a frequent offender for that list at a high price. For extra you can get scales/inserts and a flat grind but now it costs even more. So they're not for me.

10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The value is there, but it is a specific cup of tea. If it's not your cup of tea, you will not fully recognize that value.
    If you find the knife interesting at all, I recommend you try it. It is a great knife, but if you should feel differently, just sell it.

11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Yes.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

ballistic and aicolainen like this.
  12. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Excellent knife, but for the money value just isn't what it was years ago.

Nick Shabazz covers it pretty well in the following video.

xevious and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'd say too much for any type of knife period. Lol

Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Are the grapes a little sour?
    What about an SnG? Or an XM-18?
    Quick you are with your judgement young padawan.

aicolainen likes this.
  15. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Alright. Let me elaborate.
    Y’all want to keep your jobs in your country. Don’t let me get into politics, this is not the forum for it. But summary, y’all (we all) want that. How much are you paying for an hour let’s say at a car repair? USD 80? USD 100? That’s high? No it’s not, because it covers the electrical bill, heat or cooling, machines, tools, indirect materials, rent, wages, and a profit. Plus there is a margin for new designs and constructions.
    As I have no idea how much the materials are, let’s try to estimate. The Large Inkosi is 5.0 oz, Titanium and high grade steel are not cheap. Guess 5 USD per Ounce. So let’s say we have 25 USD worth of materials.
    The plain large Inkosi usually runs at USD 450. What’s the dealer margin? I’d say 50% or so. That’s not high for a consumer product. So we land at USD 300 for CR, as a company.
    Deduct the 25 USD materials and you are at USD 275 left for craftsmanship. Let’s say that’s about three hours, that someone would work on that knife.
    If you have a high automation rate, that’s a lot. As a manufacturer, not so much. Sure, they could add more machines and automate. Kick those workers out, who want a living wage. But next to losing jobs, automation is not coming cheap and you need to crank out high quantities to bring in a return.
    This brings us to the idea of what you want to be. An exclusive manufacturer or an industrial producer. That will determine your customer base. My Inkosi sees some use and all. But I enjoy products that last and are satisfying to use. Have a “personality” after a while. Like a leather wallet that ages well, while a nylon and Velcro wallet does not so much. Same for a CR and (let’s say) a KAI.
    Both products have their place, use, and client. None of them will objectively better or worse. Just different and you have to pick your choice. By wallet and your ideology, if you will.
    My dress shoes are from a local shoemaker. My weekend shoes are Red Wings. My wallet is leather. My suits are made by a tailor in town. My jeans are from Nudie. My meat comes from free range animals, from local farmers. That’s how I roll.
    No, I’m not wealthy or anything. It’s more of a “buy once, cry once” and sustainability idea. Some of my shoes are 15-20 years old. Of course they got new soles and heels meanwhile, more than once. But the main construction is that old.
    Give me my CR, my Strider, my Hinderer, any day. Keep your KAI, Sanremu, and CRKT. Don’t judge me, as I don’t judge you.

tl,dr; You keep yours, I got mine.

#15 ThaMac, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

To me a knife, ANY knife is primarily a cutting tool so how much is it really worth?

Like with many objects nowadays, putting diamonds etc on them is all very well but it doesn't justify the price tag to me,....it's all about 'one upmanship' / the capitalism society we live in I know.

17. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

So you own only gas station knives?

CV801 likes this.
  18. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Ahhhh.... It's that age old debate between luxury/quality vs cheap/short term use.

People that drive Hyundai's will never see the value of a Mercedes, who wear suits off the rack from JC Penny's will not see value in an Armani suit, who drink from Ozark cups the value of a Yeti cup and who buy gas station knives the value of a Chris Reeve knife.

To each their own.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I don't think it's that simple. A quality product doesn't have to be a luxury item. But a luxury item is almost always a quality product.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

20. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Also a firm believer in "buy once, cry once". No one is forcing anyone to spend their money on anything, just giving our opinions and experience as owners. If it fits within your budget and you see value in owning one as an EDC item, part of your collection, or whatever personal reason you choose, that's your choice.