1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Choosing the right Seiko Diver

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Daveho, May 26, 2018.

1. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I’m looking for some input from folks who have had both.
    I’m choosing between an SKX007 and an SKX013, I have 7” wrists and also do have a first gen monster so while I don’t have an aversion to larger watches Im wondering if a smaller diver would be a good addition to the collection

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

007 is timeless

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

For 7" wrist, you will be able to pull of 007 with no problem

4. BillSXT2002

BillSXT2002 Loaded Pockets

I think the 007 is the classic choice. Although, I had the 009 first and liked the color variety. Maybe you could consider that if you already have a monster.

5. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I have an Orange Monster with a few Zulu strap options. I really like the silvery gray zulu strap the most with it. (20mm) Sometimes I wish I had gotten a Black Monster instead, but then the Black Orient Mako and Monster would be competing for wear time.

MiniMan0208 likes this.
  6. MiniMan0208

MiniMan0208 Empty Pockets

I have an Orange Monster first gen, and they will bury me with this watch.... something about it that I absolutely love..... I’ve tried Suunto and a few others, but this one just keeps showing up on my wrist everyday.....

7. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I miss my 007. Kept the 1st gen orange monster. Also an alpinist sarb059. And my all time favorite, my white knight skx781, long out of production.

The point of the inventory is that, while you can’t go wrong with the 007, if you aren’t sure about it, there is a whole world of seiko divers out there. Go over to watchuseek and search for the guide to them, you are bound to find something you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

wow, that skx781 looks absolutely great. Gotta love the stainless bezel with the checkered white dial and those rectangular markers.

OP cannot go wrong with a 007/013/031 .. I have a skx173, I like rectangular hour markers on this. else it is just like the regular 007.
    TBH, I find the hour and minute hands on all of these skx pretty ugly, but they are very readable in the dark and easy enough to mod. I haven't gotten around to change them and just live with it.

There' are entry level 100m waterproof seiko5 sports "divers" like the snfz17k1 with different hands and a glass caseback (which is nice if you want to see the movement working), don't forget to have a look at those..

there's a modded skx031 on US ebay with new hands and a good bracelet, which looks very nice. google "Seiko SKX031 made in Japan Divers- USA Seller Dagaz Yobokies Mod 7S26-0040" - the 031 has indices and date window that are metal framed. also it is a bit smaller than the 007 (39mm case) I totally love how this modded one looks. very sexy. Too bad I live in europe (more than 60 dollar import tax) and don't need another one.

Last edited by flux, Sep 30, 2018
    #8 flux, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

So I bought a skx009-
    Wore it for a few months, main spring failed and the watch is wrecked...waiting on a Timex Weekender.

10. strideredc

strideredc Loaded Pockets

Dont get the 013, dont get me wrong its a nice watch but its a little small.... you will have no problem with the size of a 007... everything counts in large amounts!

11. strideredc

strideredc Loaded Pockets

Wow, there are 10's of thousands out there and i dont think i have ever heard that!

Once i dropped my one (007 but exactly the same) and it started running really fast (had dropped it many times before and never had a prob) a watch guy said the spring jumped out of place and he put it back... its running 6 sec fast per day now.... annoyingly before i timed it myself (by chance to got it right as 1000th of a mill eitherway its way fast or way slow! ) to almost nothing per month... i know its unbelievable but true, it was like 1 sec fast in the day and lost that second at night! i think it was 2 seconds fast per month!!!! thats digital! these watches are very very good, dont blow it out on the first impressions...! good luck

12. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Honestly-I picked up a komandireski and for $12 posted I’m happy with it-
    I’m seeing +6spd and really- while that’s not great I haven’t regulated it yet and may not bother honestly.

13. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

I've got a 013 and i like it better than my citizen ecodrive diver (similar enough to 007 for my comparison) for when I'm wearing cuffs and such.
    But I've also got smaller wrists.

14. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

My band (pre zulu/nato) broke while hauling butt on a bicycle, skipping sliding down the roadway. Never missed a beat. I believe it was an skx173.

ETA I have a 6309 hybrid quartz right now simply because I love the retro look but don't want to keep it on a winder like my Rolex SD.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

15. jake2m

jake2m Empty Pockets

Maybe spend a tad more and get a Turtle or Mini Turtle? I think the better movement is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk