1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a ruck mainly for fitness training.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tamagutchi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

The one that's nearly identical to mine is the Assault 20L Hydration Cargo Pack.

2. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

You're right, vonlichenstein, bricks are hard on packs and backs. I logged about 200 miles or so running with bricks in my Osprey Manta 20 with the results pictured below. All things considered, the wear isn't that bad. I did develop a nasty blister at the base of my back that wouldn't heal ... because I just kept running with bricks. Putting duct tape over the blister didn't help much, just so you know. :D

[​IMG]

bigfoot likes this.
  3. vonlichenstein

vonlichenstein Loaded Pockets

Urgh. My experience running with a signal set in my pack has convinced me never to run with a solid, sharp edged object packed close to my back unless I absolutely have to. Rice just conforms nicely to the shape of my back, and makes the pack really comfortable to rest my head on during breaks.

bigfoot and Mudinyeri like this.
  4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I saw that one, but I figure I can get more multi-purpose use out of the patrol pack - it's also on sale. The "Commander" pack is also nice, but more of a minimal day pack size.

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Yup. However, if you're training for a GORUCK event ... train with bricks.

vonlichenstein likes this.
  6. Tamagutchi

Tamagutchi Loaded Pockets

I am thinking of doing a Goruck Light in September just to get a sense of what might be required in the standard issue Goruck Challenge. Right now I am training with the rubber mulch and steel BBs in my pack but if I do decide to do the Goruck Light I will spend at least a month training with exactly what I would put in the pack for the challenge.

7. vonlichenstein

Well I'm not from the US, so I am unlikely to ever participate in a GR event. From my own experience, the weight is going to matter more than the contents of the pack so just keep up the training with whatever you have on hand until you find what you need for the challenge. Besides, GR packs (and I assume the brute force one as well, since its so similar) has pretty decent padding and a back plate so it takes most of the rub off your back. There's plenty of info about how to wrap and strap the bricks here on the forum and on the GR site though.

Just take care to do progressive training so you don't end up injuring yourself. Don't mean to be condescending, just speaking from my experience of busting my shoulder.

Tamagutchi likes this.
  8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Better condescension than hospital bills - I'm just saying.

bigfoot and Tamagutchi like this.
  9. Tamagutchi

Yeah, thanks.

The back of the Brute Force bag is pretty heavy duty and stiffened and thickened with something on the back. I don't think I would need to worry about bricks breaking through until I had used it for a very long time. With that in mind I probably wouldn't want to train with the bricks until fairly close to a challenge.....and as far as being progressive....I've got a bit more than 20 lbs in the pack right now and am planning to take days off from rucking and work the weight up slowly.

10. Tamagutchi

Definitely.

11. vonlichenstein

Oh by the way, I read somewhere when I was deciding whether to get a GR 1 or 2 that the GR2 is a little too big for stuff like the Light and Challenge, because its longer and gets in the way during some of the exercises. Just FYI.

12. Tamagutchi

Yes. I don't doubt that. The Brute Force Br-2 is just about the same size as the GR2 and if I actually did a challenge I might get something like the Radio Ruck.

13. Tamagutchi

14. Tamagutchi

15. Tamagutchi

I just noticed on e-bay that there is a lead company from Alaska that is selling lead ingots and advertising them as "Goruck Bullets"!

16. Tamagutchi

17. Tamagutchi

I've been rucking with the Brute Force BR-2 filled with 30 pounds of BBs and rubber mulch. On Saturday I walked with my pack for about 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I am liking it pretty well. Am planning to work my way up to 45 lbs eventually but no further than that. Not interested in messing up my back.

18. Tamagutchi

I've continued looking at packs even after acquiring my Brute Force BR-2 and one that has especially caught my eye is the HPG Umlindi with the optional Prairie Belt. That looks like it could be a great pack for doing some rucking.

19. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I think you'll want a waist belt once you hit 30-35 lbs.

20. Tamagutchi

The BR-2 has a waist strap though it isn't something as supportive as say what you'd have with something like the HPG Prairie Belt.