1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a ruck mainly for fitness training.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tamagutchi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Tamagutchi

Tamagutchi Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I hope it turns out well. Brute Force seems to have a pretty good rep for their sandbags and the guy I interacted with at BFS said If I ended up not liking the bag I could return it.

That Hazard 4 bag looks pretty impressive. I had run across that one at some point in my research. Not sure why I didn't follow up more on researching that one.

2. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

It's (unfortunately) a discontinued pack - the Tactical Assault Pack. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of their packs or hydration bladders, though. I use Source bladders in all my heavy-duty packs. Never a problem.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

It's very similar to their current Assault 2.0 liter Hydration Cargo Pack.

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hmm. Ok, cool - thanks!

4. vonlichenstein

vonlichenstein Loaded Pockets

Guilty as charged. Haha with prices what they are after shipping where I am, I can't afford to try many other packs. But for what it's worth, for work my plates + ammo, NVGs, water and other crap bring my LBV weight to about 10 or so kg, and my Alice pack is loaded with about 25 to 30 kg on a good day. On top of that sometime I luck out and end up helping with an anti tank weapon too.

All that over 10-20km, in a secondary jungle/rainforest. Did it suck more than it should? I think yes, but not by much. If regs allowed it, I would probably get one of the larger MR packs and give it a whirl, but no such luck haha

My point of view is that Alice is a cheap and for its price, a pretty decent load bearing pack that you can beat up and train with. But it does require some skill at packing it right, or it'll end up just being a sack of crap bouncing around with every step you take. And upgraded shoulder straps and kidney pads.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  5. vonlichenstein

By the way, I don't know who started first, but the brute force and go ruck bags looks awfully similar...even the placement of the product logos and the product designation.

6. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I was thinking the same thing.

7. Tamagutchi

The Brute Force bag was released last fall I think. I am thinking the Goruck bags have been around since 2008 or so but that is off the top of my head. I would guess the Brute Force bag was strongly influenced by the Goruck bags. In fact I am surprised there aren't more Fauxrucks out there given the success of Goruck.

zenpunk likes this.
  8. Tamagutchi

Just received my Brute Force BR-2. I am at work but later on this evening I will take a few photos and write up some first impressions with the caveat that I have never owned a Tactical Rucksack of this type so I can't compare it to the Goruck, 5.11 Rush, TAD, Mystery Ranch, Hazard4, etc. bags.

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Compare it to the bags you do (or have) owned. How do you think it will function as a normal backpack?

10. Tamagutchi

I'll need to get out and use it. I am not used to wearing a backpack. Recently I have been using nothing but Messenger Bags. I have fairly large messenger bags from Chrome and Seagull Bags and a fairly small Manhattan Portage bag. It will be interesting to see how this bag will function in comparison to those.

I will say that the build quality seems quite high after a cursory glance. The Chrome and Seagull bags are both of pretty high quality as is the Manhattan Portage bag for a lighter duty bag. The fabric seems pretty heavy and stiff on the Brute Force Bag.

My main use will be rucking but I am going to be wearing it as often as possible when walking from place to place and get a feel for it.

I am hoping to make up some sandbags to load up in it and start walking with it tomorrow (Saturday).

Last edited by Tamagutchi, Apr 4, 2014
  11. Tamagutchi

I've never seen one of the Goruck bags. Would be really interesting to put this side to side with a GR-2. It is almost the exact same size as that bag according to specs.

I wonder how the build quality and features would stack up? Both bags are made in USA. GR-2 is pretty much twice the price of the BR-2. It appears that Brute Force is attempting to reference Goruck with the look and the model #.

vonlichenstein likes this.
  12. Tamagutchi

Went out ruck-walking this afternoon with the new pack. In order to get the weight balance to my liking I placed a blanket in the bottom and placed a series of zip-loc bags filled with rubber mulch into the two sandbag liners that are actually longer than the height of the bag itself. At the top I placed two containers of steel shot totaling 10 lbs. I got the weight focused at the top of the bag and was able to get it situated so it was fairly comfortable on my back. The walk went fine and I was fairly comfortable with the weight of the bag and contents which was just over 20 lbs.

13. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked image removed per Rule 4
    Looking at the pack you bought, it doesn't appear to be an external frame pack. If not, you don't want the weight up high. It seems like you put the weight (steel shot) up high in the pack. In an internal frame or no frame pack, you want the weight roughly centered, top-to-bottom and side-to-side.

Like so ...

14. Tamagutchi

15. Tamagutchi

I am figuring the Brute Force ruck is probably pretty similar to the Goruck bags. Any idea about the standard orthodoxy for packing bricks for a Goruck challenge? I've been reading quite a few sites and blogs but don't recall any discussions of ruck packing best practices.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Thats awesome :D

17. Tamagutchi

18. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Your mileage may vary with the two "sleeves" inside your pack, but I individually wrapped my bricks in duct tape and then taped them all together with a slight arch to form to my back.

Stack o' Bricks
    [​IMG]

Taped the Edges & Corners
    [​IMG]

Fully Taped Each Brick
    [​IMG]

Taped All the Bricks Together
    [​IMG]

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh. I blame you, Mud. I'm this close to buying a Source patrol pack.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  20. vonlichenstein

Ignore me if you're asking because you're gonna do a GR challenge, but for training I find using big :censored: bags of rice or sandbags in a pack for weight is far more comfortable than bricks, and it does less wear and tear damage to the pack too. I just strap it vertically, close to my back. Everything else just gets packed around it. YMMV.

Mudinyeri likes this.