1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a ruck mainly for fitness training.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tamagutchi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

In which case the BR-2 is probably your best bet - primarily built around the idea of the secured weight.

You could probably do something similar with a soft pack - if you can pack the sand into a fairly rigid container so it doesn't flop, keep the bags upright and fill the surrounding space with padding/filler materials, you'll achieve basically the same effect as the BR-2.

If you're still thinking about the RUSH series, the 24 is a little more versatile, depending on how much other stuff you want to haul. The 12 is smaller, and therefore more specific. I can't vouch for how well it will hold up under 35 to 50 pounds of sand though.

Tamagutchi likes this.
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

HA! Or a "traveler" passing through town. :D

As you say, it's definitely not an EDC kind of bag, but on very rare occasions, it's the right tool for the job. ;)

zenpunk likes this.
  3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've never tried to bike with a frame pack and I don't know how successful that would be. Depending on the amount of groceries, the RUSH 24 has enough space for decent shopping trip.

I've used my issued MOLLE assault pack, as well as the Eagle Crossover pack for grocery runs. Basically, anything described as a "3-day pack" would fill the same niche.

Tamagutchi likes this.
  4. Tamagutchi

Tamagutchi Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking the Brute Force BR-2 is looking pretty good at this point.

My main concerns with that one were that I couldn't really find any reviews or discussions of it, and that other packs looked like they might have better padded waist straps.

5. Tamagutchi

I should also probably add that it is about 15 miles from my home to the nearest grocery store so the bag would need to be fairly comfortable on the back if I decided to use it for that. Lowest priority, probably, though.

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Padded waist straps are nice, but they have different purposes based on the type of bag. On a day pack, they're designed to keep it from flopping around and instead keep it secured as close to your body as possible.

On a hiking pack - the hiking enthusiasts are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on this point - the padding is designed to help absorb the weight and keep the much heavier pack from digging into your back and hips.

I don't know how tall you are, but the BR-2 is about two feet long (22.5") - and it looks like it rides fairly high, based on the shoulder straps. So your concern would be primarily to keep the pack from flopping/slapping your back, rather than absorbing the weight.

EtA: Comfort is an unknown - and that depends entirely on the user and the bag. The only real way to gauge that is to try the pack on and then try it under load.

Tamagutchi likes this.
  7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Yeah, because that could lead to this...

[​IMG]

And then you might have to do this...

[​IMG]

Yeah, maybe the whole "Alice pack thing" isn't a good idea after all. ;)

8. Tamagutchi

I'm 6' 1" tall.

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heheheh. In Portland, we have "travelers" - basically homeless folks who make a point to pass through town on a circuit. More "urban hikers" than conventional homeless folks, I suppose. They tend to adhere to a very specific look - usually some sort of hiking pack loaded down with their belongings and a large dog.

ALICE is old enough to be a staple in most surplus stores and not strictly the province of veterans. And even then, some vets shy away from mil-spec gear because of the memories.

That entire movie could be summed with one line: "don't ever pick a fight unless you're prepared to take what you get."

10. dc5446

dc5446 Loaded Pockets

For the price, the Alice is the way to go for rucking. I have a lot of the Tac tailor upgrades but I've jumped with it, lived out of it, and carried way more than anyone ever should with it. The standard should serve you fine.

socaldsal and tmedina like this.
  11. vonlichenstein

vonlichenstein Loaded Pockets

Check out the Camelbak TriZip. Its got an internal frame, the same you'll find in some Mystery Ranch packs. Pick black or coyote brown and you can use it for EDC (or just get multicam, I don't really understand the fuss in the US about "military packs" but then again I'm military, and not in the US).

Not too expensive, sub $200 if you shop around online. Comes with a pretty high quality and useful 100oz/3litre hydration bladder too.

I'm using it now for EDC (I carry a lot of crap around daily), and I regularly load it with 20+ kgs of rice, water and other gear when doing some rucking.

I have a GR2, and while I do like it for travelling, I don't think its a good fit for the outdoor/fitness aspect the company markets it for. Yes it works, but there's plenty of cheaper packs, made in the US, from quality designers and manufacturers which do the job better.

Last bit of unsolicited advice, don't spend too much time worrying about the gear, make an informed decision that doesn't butcher the bank account then start training.

Edit: I use an ALICE pack for work, and its the bee's knees for carry loads while wearing body armour and webbing, but as many have said its not too urban edc friendly.

12. dc5446

dc5446 Loaded Pockets

Well said

13. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

If you're going to carry up to 50 lbs, you need a pack with a frame and good, padded waist belt. My guess is that those recommending the ALICE pack have not used them to carry 50 lbs. If they have, they either haven't carried that weight very far or they haven't tried much of anything else.

I regularly "ruck" 40-50 lbs in my Eberlestock Gunslinger (original) and Terminator. You can carry that much weight in a lighter pack but, if you're goal is to work out, carrying a light pack is somewhat pointless.

I have a Source pack that I got from one of the members on here. I frequently run with up to 25 lbs of bricks in that pack.

Packs without frames - either internal or external - and waist belts are not made to properly support 50 lbs of weight. At that weight, the bulk of the poundage should sit on your hips.

vonlichenstein likes this.
  14. dc5446

dc5446 Loaded Pockets

Are there better options than the Alice? Definitely. Will you get something comparable in the same price range? I doubt it. On many occasions I have carried over 100 lbs in an Alice for miles, but I am not recommending doing that at all.

vonlichenstein likes this.
  15. Tamagutchi

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations.

I ended up buying the Brute Force BR-2. It was in my price range and while I hadn't seen much online about it the company has a good rep. I liked the style of the bag, too. So I will update when it arrives and I have a chance to get out and ruck with it for a while.

I am also looking into doing a Goruck Challenge. Probably will do the Goruck Light and see if I find it a satisfying experience. All the research I was doing on rucks got me intrigued.

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

You'll make up the price difference in chiropractic appointments and back surgery pretty quickly.

I've also carried a fecal-ton of weight in an ALICE pack ... but I wasn't given a choice. Given a choice, I'd much rather carry the weight in relative comfort while spending only a couple hundred dollars more.

17. Tamagutchi

• Hot-linked images removed per Rule 4
    So anyway here are a couple of pictures of the model I did buy.

It is optimized for packing sandbags which is what I plan to use it for a good bit of the time.

Last edited by Tamagutchi, Apr 1, 2014
  18. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

Hello,

Sorry for a late reply. I own one of the Brute Force sandbags, which I like. I am using a pack filled with Go Ruck sand bags for training as well. While I considered the brute force, I decided I wanted something with a stockier hip belt and went with the Harzard 4 patrol pack. It has held up well with 65lbs of sand bags in it.

Please let me know how it turns out for you. I was looking for more info on that pack when I was making my decision. The lack of info by users/reviewers didn't help it during my search.

Best of luck with the pack.

Tamagutchi likes this.
  19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I dunno, as endorsements and recommendations go, that's a pretty impressive one to me. :D

While I never plan to run with 25 lbs of bricks, which pack is it?

20. dc5446

dc5446 Loaded Pockets

Like I said I don't recommend it, and like you said I wasn't given a choice.

Mudinyeri likes this.