1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chistmas is just around the corner.....Gift Ideas on a budget?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Urban Hermit, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I'm on a tight budget so I have to start getting Christmas taken care of early. I have about 15 people to buy for, 5 of which get more serious gifts while the rest I can make some sort of little gift bag for. I really want to go with the EDC/Preparedness theme this year so I'm looking for some ideas. Maybe items I can buy cheaply in bulk to put in the bags? If you know any such items, include a link so I/we can find them.

Here are some things I'm already thinking of.

Handmade Paracord Bracelets (like so many of us, I make them, and can tailor the colors to suit the people)
    Handmade leather gift pouches. (I make these also, but for sake of speed need to keep them small and simple.)
    Key chain lights? (not sure where to find the best multi pack for the money)
    Key chain whistles. (harbor freight has them cheap. Aluminum and in different colors I think. Only .99 cents.)

That's about all I can think of. So any suggestions would be appreciated. Also keep in mind. I have men, women and teens to buy for.

2. Zeros

Zeros Loaded Pockets

What is your price limit per person? That will likely help us come up with some ideas

3. TCC

TCC Loaded Pockets

I've seen small first aid kits at dollar stores for as cheap as a buck a piece. They would make a good stocking stuffer or a good item to include in a gift bag.

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I've already started my Christmas shopping. We do thrift stores and garage sales. I have a large number of brothers who have all had kids and grandkids, so many to buy for. My great nephews are hitting their teen years, so I suppose that means I will be getting great grand nieces and nephews before long. That's actually depressing.

5. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

DealExtreme has ten-packs of fresnel lenses for $2.80, twelve-packs (IIRC) of fauxtons for $4.80ish, and other inexpensive lights.

I went with the fresnel lenses for this year's stocking stuffers, personally.

6. Urban Hermit

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Definitely not a bad idea.

7. Urban Hermit

Price just depends on who it is. But most I want to keep around $10.

8. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Here is a post I did on cheap EDC stuff:

Commentary

9. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

it's not exactly EDC, but a battery checker. Depending on the person, a good knife sharpener.

10. invisiblejules

invisiblejules Loaded Pockets

11. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

Grab a few Spyderco Bugs! You can typically find them for around $6 a piece and they are great for a keychain.

12. Sparkey

Sparkey Loaded Pockets

SAK classics are always good gifts. They may run a little more than 10 bucks, but you might be able to find places that have deals on them coming into the holiday season. And you could also look at some Sanrenmu stuff if you've got people who could use a good knife, but won't buy themselves one. Hope this helps!

13. Urban Hermit

Some really great ideas. I could make custom leather keychain fobs, put on either a Spyderco Bug or SAK and a Keychain LED on it...not a bad gift. I know I'd like it.

14. invisiblejules

You could also get some Sanrenmu 710's or other inexpensive knives like the Bug as DrChimRichards suggested and engrave them with a Dremel if you've got one.

15. Urban Hermit

Well, the Dremmel I have, but a steady enough hand for engraving? not so sure. Guess I could practice on an old butter knife blade and see what I can do?

16. huntex

huntex Loaded Pockets

Academy had some lil key chain lights in black or blue anodized on sale for around $1.88. Look like a nano kind of.

17. Urban Hermit

Thanks, I looked and they have several items of interest. I'm not used to thinking about them because we never had an Academy Sports here. But wouldn't you know it, Our first one opened up just last weekend!

18. invisiblejules

Definitely practice somewhere first because it takes some getting used to. Another thing that helps a lot is a flex shaft attachment, or the detail grip. That said, Harbor Freight carries small engravers for around $10 I think. Those should be easier to maneuver deftly.
    Oh, and initials are pretty much just as nice and take less effort than full names! :)