1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chinas Best - Backpacks and Bags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by FreestyleAssassin, Aug 30, 2010.

1. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

A custom backpack for sale and a bit of the discussion surrounding the pack vs made in China (although not China exclusively) packs. This got me wondering if there are others on this forum who swear by other "off brands". Or if they could name a few brands that are simply good enough for them, for what ever reasons.

I have my reasons for not paying up for brand names. And I am certain that others feel the same!

My reasons - Personally, I have a tendency to get "quirky" about my packs and bags. In other words I get sick of them and move on to something else, WELL before they have worn to the degree that replacement is NECESSARY. Reason two - I have paid up and been disappointed MANY times over!

In short I have come dig a great deal of "off brand" merchandise!

So, this is a call out to others in the community, like me.

I would be interested to know of any brands, and sources of purchase (and of course to see some photos) of the "made in other" gear that you dig on, or even swear by.

2. TK66

TK66 Empty Pockets

I agree I don't care much about name/brand as long as it works when I need it to!!!

3. FreestyleAssassin

Looks like this topic is either going to be a slow starter. 152 views per 1 single reply... lol

I have owned some really great products make in China, the Philipines, Thailand and the like. I am not an incredable advocate of buying "cheap gear" because in many cases you DO get what you pay for. But in this day and age MANY of these same factories that are turning out the gear that we swear by are also turning out some of the same gear that we swear that we detest.

4. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I have a few Condor products and have been very pleased with them. I wish they would do some bags along Maxped's designs.

5. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I like my maxped fatboy, but its too stiff, overbuilt.
    I am on the hunt for a bag a bit bigger, like the jumbo....found one on the bay and cheaper dirt, roughly 1/3 the price...haven't purchased yet

I see nothing wrong with one, but many others do. I started a thread similar to this a few days ago, but after the first post I ended it for fear of a flame war.

6. FreestyleAssassin

No joke? Must have missed that one!

Bring on the war, no matter.

There are people out there with opinions about gear, with opinions about wine. But the fact of the matter is that no matter how sophisticated you believe your opinion to be, it is only an opinion.

We all pick and choose what gear we will go "all out" for. There was a watch thread reciently full of very nice watches that I wouldn't take for free if you offered me one on the condition that I would wear it. Than there is stuff that I refuse to comprimise on.

Fact is, I own some quality gear that others would trun their noses up at.

I am looking for recomendations, brands and sources, plus photos if you've got them. Expand my horizons a bit!

7. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Cheaper than dirt bag $29+8 Shipping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bay bag $12.49+$12.50 Shipping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The CTD bag actually has feedback, while the bag on the bay has none...personally I am a feedback person, decisions..decisions.

I really like the mesh bottle pocket, don't often carry a bottle, but for some reason my brain likes it better

8. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Most of my MaxP stuff is used so didn't cost what it should have, but I basically look for a bargain. I have no specific brand loyalty and don't mind buying no brand stuff as long as it's decent quality.

I understand how people with bigger pockets can always buy the expensive brands, and that is entirely up to them, but I don't like being told what I can and can't buy! The anti-China thing gets really boring fast too.

9. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I was raised a tight wad, but I splurge on the right stuff...anti-china just annoys me, so I try not to bother

10. FreestyleAssassin

+1 on that!

I like a deal and have developed a good sense for quality over my many years buying and buying and more buying.

If my various kits, methods and methodologies were not constantly evolving I might think a bit differently. But I would still be game for what I feel is apropriate quality at the right price!

11. casamance

casamance Loaded Pockets

It doesn't really. I have used plenty of stuff made in China - I work here - that have failed me in the most inconvenient moments. This includes boots but also everyday life products such as office supplies etc.

I bought a SureFire light, which costs quite a lot more than a Fenix etc., because I know the quality is very good and because I know I only need to ever buy one light in my whole life.

12. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Maybe this would be better titled

"Best Overseas Budget Gear"

I've been disappointed with older condor gear, but I've been reading and hearing increasingly good things about the company, so I'll have to check it out.
    I feel maxpedition is overpriced for what you get.

While not familiar with its long term durability, I've been happy with the build quality of Maratac (countycomm) gear, although their nylon webbing could be thicker, I've never had anything fail on me.

13. chrisemt
    • In Omnia Paratus

chrisemt Loaded Pockets

I don't think we should always compare things to MaxP gear. Read the tag. Designed in the USA, Sewn in Taiwan. It comes down to quality control. Look at S.O. Tech. The new Paladin line is based on the owner giving an overseas company permission to use its patterns and sell it back to the consumer at a budget price. Unfortunately, the cost of import and excise tax is probably passed on to the consumer. So, you still pay about 1/3 to 1/2 as much for the gear but could be paying way lower if it weren't for the cost to import the goods into the country.

I would love to hear from somebody in textiles or one of the big name gear compaines. I am sure they would be fired on the spot for breeching a confidentialty clause if we ever found out how much an EAGLE bag costs to make. I also understand a lot of compaines have DOD contracts and have to fill them before gear queers like myself get dibs and that's fine.

It really comes down to supply and demand. The guy who started Blackhawk gear sewed the stuff in his garage. Demand went up, comapny got bigger, tags now say "Made in Vietnam." It's not a big deal as long as QC isn't compromised. I thought the Phillipino "MAXFORCE" gear was a blatant ripoff of MaxP until I found out that the owner actually markets that gear based on the Phillipino market base.

Flyye, Condor, and Maratac make some decent stuff. Look at Phenix gear sold in the Ranger Joes catalogs, it's the same (or really close) as Condor.

-Chris

14. Kaktrot

Kaktrot Empty Pockets

15. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

16. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Not wanting to stray too far off topic but maybe not a good example at the moment. I have had a lot of Surefire lights and a fair few Fenix Lights they both keep working for me. The Surefire weapon lights on the other hand have failed many many times.

17. casamance

casamance Loaded Pockets

Vinny,

Appreciate your comments. Do I understand you correctly that you make a distinction between the personal SF lights and the weapon lights? I certainly have "heard" of SureFires "exploding" due to the lithium batteries. But from what I gather, that is most usually down to the individual user.

18. FreestyleAssassin

My wife had a surefire E2D explode inside her purse. Loud POP, small plume of smoke from her purse that was sitting on the table as we were dinning at a nice restaurant on a Friday night, in Israel... and that's a true story! Tail cap became inadvertantly depressed and it overheated.

Not to get off topic or anything ;)

And not that I am no longer a Surefire supporter.

I actually just ordered a small load of Made in China Fox Outdoor Products from BadBoySupply. I will post photos of them once they have arrived for the scrutiny of all who care to scrutinize them.

I currently own a Tactical Rifle Drag Bag and Advanced 3-Day Combat Pack from the same company. I can't say that I have done allot of demanding dragging with the drag bag but I have beaten the crap out of the 3-Day pack time and time again and it has held up nicely! I am the type to pack medium sized checked bag so tight that it's weight is over the limit. I have packed the 3-Day back tight time and again. No baggage throwers have managed to loose so much as a seem!

19. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Good thread. Also agree "Best Budget Gear" overseas or otherwise would be a great resource here. I carry a UTG versipack from OpticsPlanet that rocks for price. No, it's not "spec" gear but it works. Not to mention the "knockoff" allows you to see if you like the design and if it works with your gear without breaking the bank.

Would really like a "budget" version of the Rush 24 backpack. Something in the $30-$40 range shipped. Anyone seen a comparable pack?

20. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Loaded Pockets

my biggest issue is trying to find any of these type bags around here. The local surplus store only carries some real off brands and very few of them at that. I hate to buy something without putting my hands on it no matter what the cost is.