1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chest pouch for traveling

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by theprepared_com, Mar 2, 2012.

1. theprepared_com

theprepared_com Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a check pouch to use while driving on long trips. Something to keep a handgun, light etc in. I like the Kifaru Koala Lite but remember years ago some one else had some something similar but don't quite remember all the details. What are the other options out there?

2. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

Hill People Gear has the Kit Bag which is similar to the Kifaru. I also toyed around with the idea of converting a Hazard4 Tonto to chest carry...it's about the right size, but would need a little work to add attachment points for chest carry.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Dang, I like that Koala! I didn't know that existed (and I've done some looking). The only (non-military overkill) alternative I'm aware of is Ribz wear which has been tempting me. I should have pulled the trigger when they were having their inventory reduction sale a while back.

At the SHOT show, Maxpedition was showing off a collaboration between them and Ribz but not yet available.

I hope others chime in with more alternatives, I love the idea of a front mounted pack.

4. theprepared_com

That is exactly the one that I was thinking of. Nice to see all the options :)

5. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

HPG kit bag !!! Rocks !

6. theprepared_com

Was there another one out there that you opened up and it had paracord insided that created a bit of a tray when unzipped?

7. HybridMomentsPass

wouldnt the seat belt get in the way of this (or vice versa)?

8. theprepared_com

You people who think these things out completely kill me. :) You're right, may have to re-think this one.

9. HybridMomentsPass

HOpefully I just saved you money....and the embarassment of driving while wearing one of these things.

10. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily depending on how you mounted it. If behind the wheel, low and left of center should work fine. Depends on a lot of factors like what you drive and how much space is there between you and the steering wheel. I can see it working well for some and being a disaster for others. When I was driving truck I would have killed for one of those Koalas to keep a few things handy and organized.

11. theprepared_com

I do appreciate you bringing it to my attention and hope you know I was being fecetious. I'm not too concerned with looking cool. If I was I wouldn't be traveling in a mini-van :)

12. HybridMomentsPass

To me its less what youre in, more the fact that you feel youd need to have your gun and light etc strapped to your chest at all times.
    I've done lots of traveling with a weapon and light etc, actually im heading north on Monday to Pennsylvania....the gun will be just fine in the door pocket beside of me.
    Plus, in the event you do need your weapon - thats just one more process to get it - unzipping the chest pouch etc

13. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

You're thinking of the Civilian Lab Ventrpack. That's what I first though of when seeing this thread.

[​IMG]

14. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

Remembered another one...not really a chest pack though...the Safepacker Concealment Holster is made to fit around a seatbelt when driving. Not much storage for anything but the pistol though.

15. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

While they have been mostly discontinued now (I think the RG variant is still available tho), some of the other Civilian Lab pouches could also be carried/worn in a chest pack setup.

16. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

I would want the gun secured in case of impact,and I would not want the gun on my chest during impact.

I would want the gun positioned in a way that allowed rapid access with my right hand,but still allowed access with my left hand if needed,a second gun is always an option.
    If I had to shoot to my left,reaching across my body to get to a gun in a door panel takes more movement,time,and telegraphs movements, at least for a right hander.
    The gun should be positioned so you could get your hand on it somewhat covertly if possible.

Of all the items posted,I would choose the Safepacker.
    Tactical Tailor makes the Lunar Concealed Carry Pouch,it is worth a look.
    It is my understanding that they will do custom work.
    It would not be much work to adapt the pouch in such a way that it could be secured to your seat belt,you could wear it on your belt as well.

You just never know when you will need to protect yourself.
    Years ago,I pulled over on a wide shoulder to look at a map, as I was doing so, a guy that looked allot like Charlie Manson popped out of the bushes and came quickly toward the car. He changed his mind when he got a look at a .44.

A friend of mine,pulled over to let his dog out for bladder relief,as he got out of the truck,another car with 2 guys pulled over behind him and they quickly got out and walked toward him.
    He had reached the back of the truck and let his Mastiff out,those guys ran to their car and left. I guess they didn't want to talk!

17. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

During reading this thread, I thought what about attaching such a pack to your wheel? I don't know about your airbag system, but if you don't have any airbag in the wheel itself, you can put this directly on the wheel. With airbag I'd think about a break away system, so in emergency cases the pack "flaps" to one side and doesn't hit you.

18. QDaddy

QDaddy Loaded Pockets

Well said.

19. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Some time ago, I bought a mesh vest with velcro fields from 5.11. Don't think they sell them any longer. I've never done much with it, but it would take a generic holster slide and mag holders. You'd have many mounting locations and could wear a jacket over it for concealment.

20. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

A buddy just gave me a tac vest that he got, it turned out to not be what he needed. That and this thread have got me to thinking, for a coupe years(ok, uhhm, wow, about 5 years...) I've been putting together and modifying a bandoleer setup for chest carrying a handgun, large fixed blade, and a small gear pouch while snowmobiling. But one of these tac vests with molle or velcro support of holsters and pouches would work great, and be modular to boot.

Now, the only hitch, I have a feeling, will be finding one big enough to go on *Over* my heavy winter coat and ridding gear. Hmm.

G.