1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chest pack options

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by toemke, Aug 6, 2016.

1. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about getting myself a chest pack for SAR missions, wildfires and disaster recovery operations. Usually i would carry some personal gear (cellphone, multitool, flashlight, notepad, snacks, etc) in a waist pack, but i think a chest pack would be more accessible and possibly less obtrusive.
    I know there are packs specifically for SAR, but those didn't make a big impression on me. I'd prefer something with PALS and being able to attach my own radio and admin pouches. Velcro for nametape and rank insignia would be nice but not a must (since I could attach it to the PALS).
    So far I'm considering the Hazard4 Ventrapack, the HPG Recon and HPG Heavy Recon. I'm tending to get one of the HPG kit bags, the harness seems more comfortable (and they come in my favorite color, foliage ;) )
    Are there any other options that I'm missing?

AlgoOPC likes this.
  2. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

AlgoOPC likes this.
  3. wrkngfire

wrkngfire Empty Pockets

CBisch likes this.
  4. CBisch

CBisch Loaded Pockets

I agree, Coaxsher makes some great chest harnesses/packs. I've been using a DR-1 for three years now and couldn't be happier with it.

5. toemke

toemke Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions. They look like a good options, but so far I still favor the HPG kits. Two radio pouches would be overkill for me and just a molle panel is too bare bones.

6. CBisch

CBisch Loaded Pockets

I agree that two is overkill most of the time, but the reason I like it is because I dont always know what i'm doing when I go to a search and it gives me flexibility. Most of the time ill use one of the radio pouches for a radio, the other holds my gps, and I use the velcro pocket to hold my cell phone. Conterra and Wolfpack also make chest harnesses that might be worth looking at.

7. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

In addition to the Hazard4, HPG, and various molle vests, I can think of the following:

Kifaru Koala (no longer made)
    Blackforest Bushcraft Chest Pack
    Primal Archer Vest
    Sarma Gear Torba

Of these, for your needs, I would recommend the Sarma (I own a Koala and Torba) for the most important following reason, he will customize it to YOUR needs...you want foliage, he will do that, you want foliage with coyote molle, he will do that. You want the pack bigger, smaller, fatter, thinner, he will do that. You want 1000d cordura? 500d cordura? He will do that. You want an extra pocket for your tube flask and cigar? He will do that.

He has his own spot on this forum:

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/multi-position-edc-bag-torba-mini-and-her-family.134797/

CBisch likes this.
  8. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

Sorry to reply to my wn post but forgot to add:

Eberlestock Nosegunner

Still would go with sarma though.