1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cheaper Mechanic's Rings

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Hebily, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

For those of you interested in the County Comm Screw Type Uncoated "airline cable" keyrings, I found what I believe to be the same thing cheaper at Unique Titanium.

For comparison, Here is County Comm's link: http://www.countycomm.com/ring.htm For $1.40

Here is Unique Titanium's link: http://www.uniquetitanium.com/Stainless-Steel-Wire-Keychain_p_107.html For $0.99

From what I understand, these need replacing periodically, so I figured this lower price would be useful for those that alread have the CC rings, also.

2. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Nice find, I added 5 to a cart, and calculated shipping $3.50 Shipping USPS...compare that to $8.75 for CountyComm...

3. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I got one of the UT ones free with an order, but I have no clue as to the quality as I'm not really a fan of the wire keyring.

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

It has been suggested that CC takes fairly generic items and "repackages" them into tacti-cool. For having been in government work, they have a lot of "genuine GI" stuff I've never seen before.

That said, it's a nice toy website - just don't get too caught up in the hype.

-Trevor

5. epicelite

epicelite Loaded Pockets

THE ARE BOTH THE SAME EXACT THING!

No but seriously, county comm carry the same stuff anywhere else would. Not sure why you would think it any better just because its sold by CC.

6. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

7. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

That's kinda the point... they are $0.40 cheaper and have cheaper shipping.

8. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

We don't, but haven't looked for it elsewhere...so its nice to find....

People want to grip about CC, so its nice to find another source that wont blacklist you...atleast hopefully

9. nuubee

nuubee Empty Pockets

I have a small flat orange whistle that helps me keep track of which end to tighten towards, and which end to loosen away from. I got confused once, and thought it was jammed tight and I couldn't loosen it (when I was actually tightening it), and turned it hard enough to wrench one of the ends off (it's not that hard after a few cups of coffee), and sproinged a couple of the wire ends loose, ruining it. Just something to keep in mind. Other than that, I like the idea of the plastic coating on the ACE version, but there are some openings the smaller end of my CountyComm version already barely goes through, and the plastic coating might make it too big for some things. I really try to avoid extra split rings whenever possible.

10. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

11. nuubee

nuubee Empty Pockets

Hebily,
    I might have to try those out. I frequently have to check to make sure the screw connection on my keychain hasn't loosened itself. I have pulled my keychain cable out of my pocket and simultaneously dumped everything individually on the ground at the same time. Things seem to unscrew themselves in my pocket. I have also lost, and later found stomped into the ground, the bottom half of my peanut lighter, on two different occasions. Since I don't smoke, and was only carrying it for emergencies, I will probably use electrical tape around the join line, before I next put it back on my keychain.

12. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

Hmmm... Two questions on this (can I derail my own thread?!? just for a second...)

Who made the case? Is it one of the CC ones, some other mass producer, or (I'm guessing not) custom?

Did you have an O-ring on each when this happened?

13. nuubee

nuubee Empty Pockets

Hebily,
    It was the CC peanut lighter. In at least one case, it was the stainless steel version. The other occurrence, it might have been the plated version. I hate to be so vague, but again, in at least one of the two ocurrences, I'm pretty sure I had an o-ring on. I can't remember if the o-ring was there in both cases. At least electrical tape, in addition to keeping both halves together, would also keep the lighter fluid from evaporating. I remember being frustrated both times when I lost a half, and feeling very lucky on both occasions when I saw something shiny submerged in the soil, once at my place, and once at my fiance's place. I resolved to not go through that again until I had figured out a solution, which, in this case, may be deemed, 'inelegant'.

14. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

You must have pocket gnomes that are obsessed with unscrewing things...

Good science always uses mystical answers where verifiable ones are not readily apparent ;)

Seriously, though... the precision machining on the CC SS peanut (not super precision, but not sloppy, either!) and the friction from the o-ring, combined with the friction caused from the compressed o-ring's tendancy to decompress forcing the threads to press more tightly together - should be more than sufficient to prevent anything short of intention from unscrewing the lighter. I would suggest that with the apparent presence of these super-grippy and rotational forces in your pocket, a layer of electrical tape would simply come off.

I strongly believe that it would be more effective to follow the following steps:

1) Do not use any sort of lubricant on the threads or o-ring
    2) Ensure that you are tightening the lighter to the proper torque - there should be a distinct increase in effort to turn it, but no visible deformation of the o-ring
    3) Verify the torque daily by feel - by trying to twist the lighter in the closing direction every night when you take your keys out of your pocket. Occasionally unscrew and start over to avoid inadvertantly overtorquing

Ensuring that the lighter remains appropriately tight will also prevent evaporation of fuel. A good O-ring seal will be far better than an electrical tape seal for this purpose. Also, I would ensure that the O-ring is made from appropriate material - silicone is IMO the best combination of durability, fuel resistance, abrasion resistance, and price for this application. I believe CC supplies nitrile O-rings, which should still work well. I hope you find a good solution for you.

If you feel it appropriate, you should open a thread discussing this problem to see if it is common and find other possible solutions.

15. jnthnwrly

jnthnwrly Empty Pockets

thanks for the link never knew about that site. i'm going to be ordering a few of these today

16. ianxjr

ianxjr Empty Pockets

Do you/anyone know where these can be purchased in the UK. I have searched but so far drawn a blank. Thanks in advance.

17. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

In store, not sure; from UT's site: International Customers must use paypal as a method of payment.
    *All International Items MUST be shipped to a CONFIRMED PAYPAL ADDRESS!! *

So, I'm pretty sure they'll ship to the UK.

18. ianxjr

ianxjr Empty Pockets

Thanks for that. I think i may have spoken to soon, found this http://http://onestop-key-rings.co.uk/twisty-security-key-ring-p-73.html it's not very pleasing to the eye, butmay serve a purpose for now.

19. Mesach

Mesach Loaded Pockets

20. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

Good find. For small orders, this may be more expensive, due to the $9 shipping minimum. However, for more than about 15 or so, this would get substantially cheaper very quickly. For 20 from this site, you'd have a cost of about 1.10 per each, shipped.