1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

cheap waterproof storage for truck bed

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by toddtheknifegeek, Feb 29, 2012.

1. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

Need a lockable waterproof storage box for my truck. Tool box is not big enough when the family goes camping, need more storage. Can't afford a bed cover or camper shell. Most of the time would not want those anyway. Needs to be secure and CHEAP. ideas guys?

2. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

cheapest thing I can think of that is waterproof and might be lockable would be a large cooler. I know some of them have a clasp for a lock.

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Since anything constructed of metal would likely be expensive, that narrows the field.

How about one of these, or something similar:

• Rubbermaid Medium Resin Deck Box, outside dimensions 3'3" w x 2' h x 2' d; storage capacity 10 cu ft. Doesn't lock, but could install padlock hasp with tamper-resistant fasteners. $99 @ Home Depot.

• Rubbermaid Large Resin Deck Box, outside dimensions 57.6 in. W x 26.4 in. D x 25.2 in. H, storage capacity 12 cu ft. It can be locked, but lock purchased separately. Probably a light-duty lock mechanism, so might prefer padlock hasp with tamper-resistant fasteners. $109 @ Home Depot.

Even less expensive (depending on type and amount of wood used), construct a box to your own dimensions using plywood, say 5/8" or 3/4". The challenge is making as waterproof as possible (marine plywood optimum, but expensive and hard to source in some locales). With right box-dimensions, you could get by with one 4' x 8' sheet.

For transporting my ATV, bought inexpensive trailer at Harbor Freight. Had to install my own decking. Used 5/8" plywood.

Critical step: sealed all raw edges with screendoor trim/moulding (believe it's called), attached with Gorilla Glue (it's waterproof) and finish nails. Nails don't grab especially well when driven into plywood edges; mostly to hold trim in place while glue cures. Nails must be adequately countersunk, and the holes filled (the glue will do in a pinch). If you've used Gorilla Glue before, you know you can put too much on since it expands as it cures (excess can be sanded). I use acid/flux brush to apply a thin, but even, coat anytime I use Gorilla.

The screendoor trim was slightly wider than plywood; perfect, since allowed sanding exactly flush with plywood surfaces.

For maximum strength when constructing box, use Gorilla Glue and rust-resistant coarse-thread screws (stainless steel or other suitable). I'd countersink the screws and fill the holes.

Applied five coats of marine varnish, lightly sanding between coats to give preceding coats a little "tooth" for following coat to grab. Interior should receive at least two coats also.

To further protect interior from moisture, you might install a narrow rubber gasket along the top-edge of the front/back/sides, and if you're going for overkill, an identical gasket on inside mating surfaces of lid (recycled bicycle inner-tube, cut into strips, might work).

Attach lid with suitable hinges, inexpensive handles on each end of box, and a padlock hasp.

I assume you won't have in pick-up bed 365/24/7, so should survive occasional exposure to rain. My trailer deck is 3+ years old; it's seen some rain (not a lot, but some) and still looks good. About due for a recoat with the marine varnish.

Dan

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

5. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Not easy to find. I was looking for something bigger than a tool box, but not as big as those deck storage boxes, to store BBQ tools and accessories. Never found what I was looking for.

6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Okay, here's another idea that's a little out there: scrapped small chest freezer

Seriously. Just remove the condenser and stuff and slap a hasp on it.

Would look "redneck chic" riding in the back of a pickup. :laugh:

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

tat is actually a good idea! It might be a little too big for what the OP need. But it definitely fits the cheap and secure aspects. I think the really small ones are only around $100 brand new so a junk one shouldn't be more then $20 if you can't find one free. Maybe an old dorm fridge if a chest freezer is too big?

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

nm missed it in the OP.

9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I needed a cheap tool/preparedness box for the truck earlier this winter(got tired of loosing my chains in the snowy bed) got a similar box to the deck boxes, also by rubbermade, found it on sale at Lowes for $50, don't know what retail is...

AHA! this one;
    ActionPacker® Cargo Box - 48 gal: (#1192)
    Size: 43.8"L x 20"W x 17"H
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091427&CatName=Storage

Yikes! $87.99 full price.. Its worth $50 IMO, but not $90...
    I need another one too... Dang.

G.

10. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

11. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

The 150g Coleman white plastic cooler fit nicely in my 99 Ranger. No lock. A couple of short bungees.

Life has moved me onto minivans, which have odd internal dimensions, and for which the cooler industry has not adapted.

12. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

I found large ammo cans at a gun show last weekend. I bought 2 for $25. I should have bought 4. Not lockable as purchased but a hasp will be easy.

13. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I used a pair of the 24 gal Rubbermaid Action Packers for years in my pickup. They worked well: weatherproof, sturdy, reasonably low cost.

14. OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper Loaded Pockets

I second the vote for 24gallon Action packers. I carry most of my camping gear in them. They are 95% water proof and easy to upgrade to 100% waterproof with a peel and stick gasket. They make great storage boxes for your gear when you don't need to carry it in the truck, and are also useful at the campsite. A few keyed alike padlocks and a chain or cable makes them fairly theft resistant too. Cost is about $25 each at Walmart.

15. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Contico made a box that was a little bigger than a foot locker, I keep one in the truck for the 'dirty' EDC, couple of spare quarts of oil, bag of kitty litter, shovel, windshield washer (fluid and squeegee), jumper cables, couple rags, bungee cords & ratchet straps, box of big trash bags, hitch, etc. the 'clean' EDC rides in the cab including the FAK, spare clothes & sleeping bag, couple MRE's, gloves and spare batts.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/534225-pro_tuff_storage_locker.html

Never used the cup holder on the box, though.

Forgot to mention, I have a tonneau cover on the bed of the truck, which locks. Still not very secure as 30 seconds with a crowbar would get you in - but you can't see the Contico through the truck lid.

16. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I've used Rubbermaid and a larger storage chest to keep things in the back of my truck, on trips to Florida and camping, without any problems, but I was still paranoid about some sticky fingered miscreants getting curious...:laugh:

Keep in mind that any resin or plastic storage container will not be very secure if you intend to keep valuable gear in them, even if they have locks, because a hatchet, hacksaw, or even a torch could open them up in short order.

I also ran some steel cable from the truck bed hooks and through the storage box after drillng a couple of holes in the box, and clamped the cable inside the box, so it was secure in the bed and couldn't easily be removed from the truck and carried off...

17. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I used to keep a locking container from some bit of air force instrumentation in my truck. 4x 4 x2 and it had to be seperatly locked to the truck bed.
    Any surplus stores near you?

18. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets