1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

cheap drawstring bag, simple yet useful EDC Item

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by severdhed, Dec 16, 2019.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

As I approach the age of 40, i've noticed having problems with my hip alignment. A friend who is a physical therapist advised me against keeping my wallet in my back pocket. Well, since all of my other pockets are full, i don't really have a choice...so I started thinking about what i could carry in the left rear pocket to balance myself out, that would also be useful. I found that a dollar store rain poncho and one of those cheap nylon drawstring bags folded up are pretty much an exact match for the thickness of my wallet.

It is amazing how many times that little drawstring bag has come in handy. I've used it at the grocery store a few times, I've used it at work several times now when i have a bunch of small stuff i needed to transport. I went to someone's house the other day to pick up their PC to clean up, and they asked me if i would take some other old PC accessories to recycle. i pulled out my bag and stuffed it full of old random cables, webcams, mice, etc and it was super handy. I highly recommend adding one of these to your EDC.

2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I keep a drawstring gym sack in my backpack as a quick way to add additional capacity. I agree, they're invaluable!

3. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I grab a few from the benefit exhibitors at work during open enrollment. The product ads don’t bother me since the bags are free.

4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I carry one in my Rush 24. When I don't need all my extra gear, I load the essentials into the drawstring bag and leave the Rush 24 in my trunk. It's perfect for hitting the beach with a few items while still having the rest of my gear available if I need it later. Also, that way I don't have to worry about leaving the expensive bag on the beach, if someone takes a drawstring bag with $20 worth of gear in it, it's not a big deal.

Plastic shopping bags are another good one. They cost almost nothing, fold down to almost nothing, yet are waterproof. Great for carrying wet clothes inside a larger bag and many other tasks. They're not great for the environment, but you can reuse them several times.

5. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I carry an Under Armour Undeniable drawstring backpack in each of my bags. Like the others, I use it frequently enough to transport a few items in and out of the doctors office or a friends house while leaving my main bag with all the goodies in the car.

ballistic likes this.
  6. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have dozens of small draw string bags. I fix up older sewing machines and I make bags to test the machines. I make bags for all my gear camping stuff etc.

ballistic likes this.
  7. JeffVenture

JeffVenture Loaded Pockets

i carry a folded up drawstring bag in my moto jacket pocket. sometimes you go somewhere and need to carry something back with you you werent expecting.

ballistic and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  8. adamargue

adamargue Loaded Pockets

I have been wanting to add a maxpidition Rolly poley to my belt just Incase I need the extra carry capacity. A drawstring bag seems like the same concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballistic likes this.
  9. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Moochi brand drawstring game changer ,looks like a standard drawstring blends it but my god that things good

ballistic likes this.
  10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As an alternative, I often use one of the dry bags you get for going camping and other outdoor activities - you can get them in a range of sizes to suit, and I find they can be great to subdivide stuff within a larger bag, a way of storing items that are wet or may leak, or as a separate bag for carrying extra stuff.

Moshe ben David and ballistic like this.
  11. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Invaluable. I keep one in my vehicle and one folded up in my EDC pack.

Left to right: OscarDelta Stealth Snatch Bag v1.5, Mochibag, Thirty-One.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I love the moochi so simple yet so perfect its hard to go to another drawstring after they feel awkward and cumbersome

ballistic likes this.
  13. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

All my packs have a dry bag in the hydration compartment increased carry capacity ,separate wet ,leaky risk or smelly items also in use with a scarf jacket or she mage they can make a padded cocoon to carry delicate items within the pack.
    Also you can remove items from your pack that arent required lets saying taking the bag from the car to the mall remove knives etc place in the dry bag leave in the trunk
    Carry firewood,carry water to purify turn inside our to pick u messy items say a knife or phone dropped in mud ,kids sick on a trip can use it to vomit in not ideal but in such situations we adapt pillow just stuff your jacket inside , put it over your hydration bladder then when its time to remove it's a much easier task to carry .
    Very overlooked under valued addition to any carry IMHO

14. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

If you look around at popular trade shows some vendors get there logo printed on drawstring type bags/backpacks.

I picked up one at a auto show and it has a separate zipper area on the front, along with a HUGE dodge ram head logo...lol I just face that towards my back :)

I wouldn't depend on it to EDC or in a rugged situation, but in a pinch it works well!

Ive also seen people that make them out of Tyvec.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I'd never considered carrying a small stuff sack until I read this thread and it seems like a no-brainer idea. Sacks typically don't take up much room and are fairly lightweight, making their inclusion in one's EDC almost a non-issue, especially if you carry some kind of bag or pack. I've had occasions in the past where having one would have been nice instead of just throwing things in the main compartment of my bag: having a stuff sack keeps that stuff separate from my normal EDC.

My mother is rather crafty and was kind enough to make one for me out of scrap denim. It's about 9x12, single-ply jean denim with a simple drawstring to close it. It sits folded in half at the bottom of my EDC bag, but it's always there if and when I need it. She's since made a few out of canvas and added belt loops and a flap on the top, resulting in essentially a home-made dump pouch similar to the Maxpedition Rollypoly.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  16. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Should have one in every camping cook pot, if pack items in them. That way can put the contents of pot in a bag for safe keeping whilst using the pot.

17. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

I use the Rollypoly all the time when traveling, folds into nothingness. Got a 5.11 Rapid Excursion pack which is a bit bigger and can hold more groceries and supplies when doing my yacht deliveries. Great for stuffing a foul weather jacket and water and snacks.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I find much merit in having one or more lightweight sacks in my edc bag; they've proved useful. I just carry a few rolled/folded up plastic shopping bags from the supermarket. For a short carry, especially in rain or with wet things, they work fine.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

19. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Great thread! In that same vein I have several large laundry size mesh drawstring bags. I bring at least one when traveling. I've brought one Christmas shopping and it makes carrying several shopping bags much easier. They're also great when you have kids and end up having to carry their jackets, toys, whatever.

Moshe ben David and surefire7 like this.
  20. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Never thought about using a drawstring bag. With kids in various athletics, dancing classes, college and all that, we probably have a dozen of them around here. I'm going to throw one in my car just in case.

I've been using an Eddie Bauer packable sling pack for those occasions I don't need a full-size backpack.