1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Cowboy Plinking Fun...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dmattaponi, Feb 21, 2012.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I've noticed these for years in a local hardware store display. Through the years I've gotten rid of my 22 plinkers, and the other day I was at the hardware store, and noticed the Heritage Rough Riders once again. I figured for $159 NIB, and Made in the U.S.A. I'd give it a try. My expections weren't high, but I took it out to the range, and it was a lot of fun. Accurate to boot. If it holds up to regular range plinking, I think it's a pretty decent plinker for the money.
    [​IMG]

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Kind of looks like a Ruger Single Six!

3. dmattaponi

Yes, but not nearly as nice. Also not $450+. Wouldnt mind picking a Single Six up sometime.

4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Still, all that fun for that cheap?! Cool! It does look purty.

5. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

My Dad has that exact same gun, along with the .22 magnum cylinder. And yes, it is fun to shoot! Quite the change of pace from a modern, polymer semi-auto.

6. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

I've had one between 15-20 years and haven't worn it out yet. Great little guns. I also have the .22WMR cylinder but dang it's loud.

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I just love the fact that you bought it at the hardware store! A reminder of better times.

8. dmattaponi

I didn't get the 22mag cylinder. There is a "coupon" order form in the box of my revolver that I can order one for around $30. They had others at the store with the 22mag cylinder, but I went with the cheapest. All of others came with the mag cylinder, and they had a variety of handle materials. Only one version was just a bit over $200. The rest were under $200. I don't think I'd use the mag cylinder anyway (although I think it's neat that they come with one).

Neat to read that someone has had one for so long, and it is still going strong.

The hardware store I mentioned is one of the few still around that handles this kind of stuff. It's got a good selection of both rifles and handguns, as well as ammo, pocket knives, hunting and fishing gear. That said, I have noticed the business declining in recent years. They've cut back their hours, and other areas of the store are not stocked like they used to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see them close some day. For many years it was the kinda place you could find pretty much anything you wanted. Walmarts and such have gradually been putting them out of business. Fortunately for them, the nearest Walmarts are 20-30minutes away, so a lot of the locals still frequent the store.

If you guys aren't adverse to "cheap" guns, check this one out. It is fun, and if they last as long as oronocova's gun, they just might be better labeled a good "value". I have done a little research on some of the gun forums, and overall the Heritage Rough Riders do get pretty favorable ratings from users.

9. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

My kind of hardware store, wish there were some around here!!

10. ZippoVarga

ZippoVarga Loaded Pockets

Love my Heritage. Never a hick-up and amazingly accurate. Not a "bazillion dollar, look at me and how much money I can waste on a plinker" pistol. Which shows you that for under $200 bills, you can have a great time at the range for pennies a round and do it for years and save your cash for that $400.00 flashlight you GOT to have!!!!! lol A man has to set priorities!!

In comparison, my 1958 Colt Frontier Scout, which easily has over 20K rounds through it still edges over on the accuracy, but I think that's because I'm more comfortable with it. The heritage isn't really ammo finicky. It'll pretty much shoot what ever you put in it. I've found the Aguila SSS 29 grain powderless are the absolute best for plinking and accuracy to 50 feet in all my single action 22s. IMHO of course.

Enjoy the Heritage!!! You can get a number of holster types from Heritage also and they're very reasonably priced if you don't already have a rig.

11. russtang

russtang Loaded Pockets

Good find.
    Any .22 plinker is a fun, inexpensive few hours of shooting. $159 bucks makes it much better!

12. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Wow, thanks for the find, dmattaponi! As a near zero experience shooter, I've been toying with a .22 revolver as an entry handgun. Something like this seems like a good, inexpensive platform to learn on. The only downside I see to such a gate-loaded revolver is the slow speed of firing/reloading. But the slow-shooting nature of a SA revolver might be a good teacher in the importance of shot placement on every trigger squeeze.

If you don't mind, what store did you find this at? and where might others such as myself who are not blessed with hardware stores that stock firearms find the Heritage Rough Rider?

13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Actually in speed of firing sequence in good hands it goes single action revolver, double action revolver, then autoloader. In speed of reload it goes in the opposite order. Two very skilled but equal persons with no others involved at close range I will pick the revolvers over the autoloaders. You change the situation where there are several targets or if cover or something that can cause misses then the autoloader would be my pick. If you want to also use it to hunt the revolvers are usually a better choice.

14. dmattaponi

Yes, I had noticed Heritage had some nice holsters.

Polygeist,

I think this would make a fun first gun, but there are some things you should be aware of. The Heritage is pretty old school. It has a manual safety, but other than that, no other built in safety (no transfer bar, etc.) It should not be carried with a live round under the hammer, and it will require good safety awareness (which is not a bad thing, just something to be aware of). I'm on the other side of the country from you, but I think they can be found just about anywhere. Talk to a local dealer, and even if they don't carry them, they should be able to order you one.