1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cheap ammo?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mightywombat, Jul 16, 2012.

1. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Russian, steel-cased ammo online was overall, the cheapest I could find, but it didn't feed properly from my magazines. The cheapest brass-cased ammo I can find locally is Remington UMC from Walmart.

Beating all of those was reloading. For my .45, the cost was slightly less than HALF of Wally world's cheapest.

For SD, I like Speer GDHP.

2. larrupin

larrupin Loaded Pockets

I vote for the Federal first among the cheap 9mm at Wal-Mart when you can catch it in.
    I have shot a lot of the WWB, but it is a slightly longer nose bullet and in some of the small 9mms I have seemed to occasionaly not feed as well, probably would never be an issue in full size guns, I don't know.
    Also when some of the stores used to have it in stock the Blaze Brass works fine. I reload so I never have shot the aluminum blazer much.

3. fadepoint89

fadepoint89 Loaded Pockets

Go to www.ammoseek.com you can find the cheapest ammo on the Web by bullet or by box. ;)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

4. hafpit

hafpit Loaded Pockets

www.ammoman.com is a good site. They only post what they have in stock, and the price includes shipping. Good customer service, too.

5. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Reloading is definitely the way to go long term but the investment can be steep. Powder will be your biggest headache as most of the shipping companies tack on a hazardous materials charge.

6. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

For someone who does a great deal of practice at the range, it's still a worthwhile investment that will pay for itself after a few visits.

7. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

It does take a while though. Like with homebrewing, I stopped counting the cost of my time to execute the refills, both bottles and cartridges, and figured my time invested as contributing to future enjoyment. The press and dies I bought were upwards of $600, plus the ancilliary things like scales, case prep tools, etc. Setting up for reloading is is not cheap, by any stretch, though since the cost of factory ammunition's gone through the roof, I'm close to breaking even.

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In about another year of constant practice at the range, you'll easily end up ahead.

9. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I carry a G26 for PPE. Cheapest is 22lr with a conversion upper, Same trigger pull, less cost. At the end of the session, a couple of mags of whatever was on sale last time at WallyWorld. Bonus, the 22 upper tends to stovepipe, so I get to practice clearing drills, something you don't get to practice with the 9mm upper. :)

My SKS ammo is too cheap to reload (7.62x39 is REALLY cheap). My 5.56, I haven't chosen to reload yet, but I limit my range trips to only one or two boxes at a time and I am still breaking it in. (Trying to find the best factory load still, NO STEEL in my baby.)

I do hand load for my 300 Win Mag, MUCH cheaper and more consistant. But then I only practice with that 1-2 times a year, before elk season.

10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Start stocking up now. There is always a shortage of ammo and reloading components after a General Election. It wasn't that long ago that I could not find primers and powder and what was available was rationed by the retailers. Reloading equipment can also be found on Craig's List. I still use a 25 y/o single stage press in the winter to kill time. This is cheap ammo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scrub and evolutionglitch like this.
  11. tennvol12345

tennvol12345 Loaded Pockets

I make it by the 5 gallon bucket full on a Dillion progressive press. $4.50/50 9mm, add $1.25 for a box of. 45.

People are insane to spend $20 a box for. 45. All I ask is you leave your brass on the ground when you leave.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

12. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

250rd Federal from WallyWorld for $59.90 plus tax.

13. Andy_pha

Andy_pha Loaded Pockets

www.targetsportsusa.com is where I've got my last three bulk purchases. They have good pricing and in most cases the bulk packs have free shipping and that saves you a good chunk of change.

Also brouse www.slickguns.com they post daily deals on ammo, guns, and gear.

14. LOW96HB

LOW96HB Loaded Pockets

Yea +1 for the Wallymart ammo run.

15. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Walmart Tula
    If your gun can't cycle it ... it's time for another gun.

I would also recommend reloading, unless you're running a glock

16. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Sometime in the next 6 months I suspect there will be a Dillon 650, maybe 2, landing in my shop.