1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Charging?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Evilbunny, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

usb is 5v battery is 7v for camera charger needs to be atleast 12 up to 24 that sherpa is expensive i guess the powertraveler is the best best so far.

2. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I would buy a spare battery, they are smaller, lighter and probably cheaper than the charger options.

Also - modern SLRs run almost forever on a charge, providing you use them in a way to conserve the battery, short sleep timer, no live view use, minimal image review, minimal video recording etc

My 1dmk4 cameras routinely get 1000-1500 frames from a battery, typically a week of full time professional usage, unless im using live view a lot (for working in low light, or when using the camera up on a high tripod) can flatten a battery in 4 hours or so (but that is a pretty big battery, although even my old 350d gets 750 or so shots from a charge

reppans likes this.
  3. edasaurus

edasaurus Loaded Pockets

I was just reading about the brunton hydrolyzer the other day. Not really cheap but seems to be made for your kinda situation. Probably a lot more convenient than solar.

4. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

It is perfect. But it only gives 5v

5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

My Fiancée has a D3100 and I purchased her spare batteries from Amazon at $20 a pop. Check the note below from the manufacturer regarding the firmware issues:

UPDATE AS OF 12/13/2013 New Replacement Battery For Nikon EN-EL14a. Works With Nikon's New Firmware Update. This Battery Will Not Suffer From the Adverse Memory Effects That are Normally Associated With Other Battery Types.

You can find them by searching Amazon for this item number: AMAZ23006

Also, if you are stuck on a Solar Charger, I looked at one of the Voltaic 12watt/12volt Solar Charging kits for her, but never got it. It is right around $100. They have a 12 volt car outlet cable for them ($6) and you can get a car charger for your D3100 for $10 on Amazon.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Feb 18, 2014
    Evilbunny likes this.
  6. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Thanks.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  7. Rudy222

Rudy222 Loaded Pockets

plus 1 on the Anker battery charger. I received one for a gift and it works great. Charges my android 5-6 times to full charge. Just a quick shake is all it takes. Very convenient.

8. DangerBruin

DangerBruin Empty Pockets

Unless you're through hiking for days and days I'm gonna +1 the spare batteries. Solar is super cool, but seems to still carry the premium price and weight penalties of an immature product category. Even if you did splurge, I'm dubious about it pushing the voltage you need consistently, but that's a hunch. I have no experience with portable panels.

9. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

With solar you always have a batterypack for constant voltage

10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

The OP was going on a week long camping trip so some sort of charging capabilities are in order. Portable Solar technology has come a long way in the last 5 years. Charging a few phone batteries is well within the capability of most of the sets listed in this thread so far.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thats true except that the only thing he asked about was his camera?

So did you buy another battery or are you still looking to buy a bigger battery to charge the camera battery?

12. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

I decided i'll buy a solar setup like one of the first posted the powertraveler as it has more uses than just my camera. Now its just a matter of stopping spending my paychecks so quickly.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I feel your pain!

14. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a Powemonkey Extreme which seems perfect for what you need. I use it to keep my GPS, tablet (7" Samsung Galaxy Tab) & Quantum DD charged when camping/backpacking.

It comes with a nice sturdy carrying case for the battery (9000mAh) & solar panels (5W) and it has a 12V output on the battery itself as well as a regular 5V USB port. Lousy pic, but this is the whole set out of the box minus the cable for my Galaxy Tab (I had to buy that separately):

[​IMG]

The pouch is filled with all kinds of connections for the most popular devices. Check it out if you like, it comes in different colors too [​IMG]

herosemblem and Evilbunny like this.
  15. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

ps: the whole kit weighs about 650 gram packed.

16. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yeah, I meant camera, see my original post to him as I have the same camera setup in my household. That being said, I intermix phone and camera these days as most people rarely carry real cameras anymore. :)

17. DangerBruin

DangerBruin Empty Pockets

Not "always" true. You can buy many portable solar panels without battery packs. But your comment is fair. I was alluding to to doubts that panels could get up to 12 volts constantly. That's not realistic for portable, so it would be implied you need a setup with an intermediate battery that can clean up the power and ramp up the voltage like the powermonkey.

If my only concern is keeping a camera charged, I'd have to choose 100 bucks for two extra camera batteries (one of which I'll likely never use unless I'm taking over like 1200 photos on one trip). That's significantly cheaper, lighter, simpler and smaller than the solar options on the market today. I'll save a little on my back and in my wallet. All that said, I guess he wants to do more than charge the camera. And I do want one of those powermonkeys myself. Talk about a bug out bag kit dream. Hope it works out great.

18. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Long exposures at night take a massive amount of battery.