1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Charger Recommendation

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by superpacker, Aug 28, 2017.

1. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I like my xtar charger, can charge 4 batteries aaa to 18650 I believe.

What I love about it, is that it is USB, so I can charge my batteries while camping if need be.

I have a bunch of eneloops batteries, several years and still good.

david57strat likes this.
  2. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I don't own any Littokala chargers; but I've read many posts, on numerous different forums, from people who do, and who swear by them, as a cost-effective charging alternative.

3. david57strat

If you're referring to the VC4 -yes, it will charge lithium ion batteries up to two 32650s in size, as well as D NiMh's, using the outer two slots.

I just posted the wrong pictures (using an SC4) - but I did try it out on the VC4, and the D NiMhs fit and charged just fine (but I'm too lazy to take new pictures, showing the D NiMhs on the VC4, right now :|.

Last edited by david57strat, Aug 29, 2017
    #23 david57strat, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    smokingfish likes this.
  4. david57strat

Point well-made, jcwagers. Most of the newer XTAR chargers will accommodate a very wide range of battery sizes, without the need to use spacers, or magnets, just to make the battery fit. I hate using extra pieces, in a charger, just to charge a battery, so this is a particularly handy feature. Fewer pieces to deal with.

5. david57strat

I always wanted to pick up one of those MH-C9000 chargers; but it just never happened. I did have a couple of the less expensive MH-C204FA chargers, and they worked well for me, but that was seemingly a million years ago (long before becoming a hard core lithium ion fan); and, as I recall, the batteries had to be charged, in pairs, which wasn't the most optimal way to charge possibly mismatched batteries (batteries that had different charges on them).

These days, trickle charging a battery isn't really a good option, for a NiMh battery. Proper termination of the charge is safer on the battery.

Somehow, I ended up going the full-on XTAR and Nitecore route, and have no regrets :)

#25 david57strat, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    dml24 likes this.
  6. superpacker

superpacker Loaded Pockets

These comments have been so helpful. Really like the new Nitecore SC4 but beyond my price at this point. But I do like the Nitecore D4, seemed to be their nicest charger until a few weeks ago when the SC4 came out. Also takes a wider variety of batteries than the Xtar. So kinda think the Nitecore or the Liitokala.

dml24 and david57strat like this.
  7. david57strat

We're glad to have helped!

Please let us know which charger you end up getting, and feel free to post comments and pictures, after you've had a chance to put the charger through its paces :)

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have one of the 2 bay liitokalas and it's honestly great. For the budget you can't go wrong on em. You can feel and see that an xtar or nitecore is a higher tier of product but they all charge batteries just fine.

9. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

Are you looking for a 2 bay or 4 bay charger? If it's 4 bay, I did a quick look on Amazon and the Nitecore D4, Xtar VC4, and Liitokala are all basically $25-26. At that rate, it's a wash. You might find deals on them cheaper but Amazon gives a good average price *most* of the time. I would think that any of the 3 would basically charge most mainstream batteries that you would need so just go with whichever you felt the strongest about. :)

10. ChibiM

ChibiM Empty Pockets

Or have a look at the Opus BT C3100 who sometime pop up at around $30 including shipping.

11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

My needs are pretty basic: charging one battery at a time, mostly Eneloops AAA and AA, sometimes an 18650.

I opted for a small charger (to also pack when away for some time) and glad that I picked the Olight UC Magnetic USB Charger. It may not be the best charger around but it works for me, and for 10 bucks it's a bargain.