1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Chargeable AA for EDC BA10 Jetbeam

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by GEC, Nov 3, 2013.

1. GEC

GEC Loaded Pockets

OK flashlight fiends, I was cruising around the net for a new switch for my Jetbeam flashlight. I found a good site online to get my switch, but I also found out that they have a rechargeable battery section with all types mAh.
    I was wondering what would be a good rechargeable battery (AA) I could replace for my Jetbeam ba10 to either extend the runtime or maybe even increase the brightness instead of using regular Alkaline AA batts? Are lithium batts worth it?

2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Rechargeable lithiums make a difference. Most of my AA lights that are able to use 14500 sized lithiums will more double the output vs alkaline batteries. Whether that is useful to you is a different question. Can you tell much difference between 200 and 400 lumens? In an enclosed rooms, 400 is almost too much. With my jetbeam, you only get the high mode on lithiums. My 4sevens quark pro can use the other modes, though.

In the end, it's really up to you as long as your light is rated for it. I usually use regular alkalines or energizer dispose able lithium AAs in my lights, but I do keep a charged 14500 in my bag in case I need a face melting 700 "advertised" lumens.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Yes, Jetbeams, especially the lower priced line are not rated for Lithium cells, and you loose all but the High mode. Thats why I have Tenergy LiF4Po RCR123s in my BC10, they are rechargable, but at the voltage of a regular CR123... But anyway, you asked about AAs; I use Sony NiMh rechargables exclusively in my AA and AAA lights. Great run time, durable, and they don't break the bank. Good life span too; I have some going on 3 years of constant use, that are still going fine! (A couple others that are 5 years old don't hold a charge anymore, but Honestly, 3 to 4 years without having to buy a battery is pretty good! ;) )

4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Eneloops are my go-to cell. They are low self-discharge and can handle quite a bit of abuse not to mention hundreds of charge cycles. I just have the 2000mah ones (I recall) but they have "XX" versions that are almost 3000mah.

Energizer sells disposable lithium ultimate cells that are about 1.70v compared to the 1.25ish volt Eneloops. They also have great shelf life and capacity not to mention are lighter weight. Neither will leak which is a nice perk :).

High voltage li-ions are fun but tend to urge the user to use more light than is needed for the task. I still would rather use any of the cells listed than Alkalines. Those (Alks) don't handle high drain, low/high temperature, and occasionally leak ruining nice tools.

5. GEC

GEC Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys for quick replies. I will start using rechargeable batts or lithium in my flashlight.

6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

When i use 14500 in my BA10 it fails to change mode, and its not brighter at all, seens like the higher voltage just messes with the driver big time.. i use eneloops in all my lights

7. moshow9

moshow9 Loaded Pockets

I'll echo Blerv and thekapow for Eneloops as regular rechargeables in the BA10. If you plan on keeping it in a pack or vehicle then Energizer lithium batteries would be better suited for emergency use or the rigors of extreme hot/cold weather conditions.

Blerv likes this.
  8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Just for a different perspective, I like running 14500s in my Quarks yet spend ~ 80% of my runtime between my 0.3 and 3 lumens. Biggest reason is that a voltage DMM reading is an accurately measure of remaining capacity for Li-ions, but not so with NiMh. Course show-off value is fun too ;-)

Wouldn't recommend them for the BA10 though...

AK Adventurer and Blerv like this.