1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Changing Paracord on backpack zippers

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Obscenejesster, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Obscenejesster

Obscenejesster Loaded Pockets

I would like to change the paracord zipper pulls on one of my 5.11 bags but I've never done this before. I've decided that I just don't want Paracord only and I would like to use some sort of zipper pull tab.

Does anyone know where I can find these zipper pull tabs in different designs and colors?

Also, is there a tutorial here that outlines the process such as which knots can be used?

In the picture below, I have drawn a red square around what I am referring to as zipper pull tabs.

[​IMG]

2. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

CountyComm may have some.

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You're making it really hard on yourself. You don't need tabs if you're using paracord. Use gutted or non-gutted paracord, tie the knot of your choice, and you're done. Stormdrane's blog is a great source for different knots. The lanyard knot is an easy one..

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-tie-lanyard-knot.html

But really any simple knot with 550 paracord will provide the equivalent to a tab so you can get a hold on a pull. Pairing it with heat shrink tubing (like GoRuck uses on their packs) is a great addition also.

4. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

BTW, the pulls on the 5.11 bags are NOT paracord. In fact, I cut them off when I remove them and toss them in the garbage.

6. Obscenejesster

That's what I was planning one doing. I'll be honest. I just want to change the color. I don't really care if it's 550 Paracord or shoe string I replace them with. They are only zipper pulls. It's not like I'm going to be exerting extreme amounts of force upon them.

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

It's not about force. What I like about true 550 paracord pulls is that they don't fray, get twisted, or tangled. They provide great positive tactile feel and are easy to manipulate while wearing gloves (for work or in cold climates). They also look great and don't cheapen the look of a pack.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ParTimeBourne and VoodooChicken like this.
  8. cjohnston

cjohnston Banned

Like that knot! Just replaced all the pulls on my MaxP Kodiak with it. Thanks!

-
    CHAD

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Thank Stormdrane. He's the Greek God of knots.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

10. cjohnston

cjohnston Banned

11. Obscenejesster

Cool, then I'll make sure I use 550. Although , while I don't know what 5.11 uses, I've never had a problem with their zipper pulls tangling, fraying or twisting. I have a Rush 24 that I've EDC'd for nearly 4 years and the zipper cord still looks new. The whole tactile feel with gloves is exactly why I wanted to use something other than just the cord such as a bead on the end. I'm sure the shrink wrap idea works good as well but I just don't like the look of it. I think it looks cheap for some reason.

12. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

If you want that type of pull in black, Tom Bihn sells them in packs of 8 for $3. Shipping might be a hitch though....unless you find some pouches and/or stuff sacks you'd like also. ;)

There's also the Zip Clip and Groovy Zipper Pull.... http://www.seattlefabrics.com/toggles2.html

Last edited by Macgirl, Aug 11, 2013
  13. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

Just reuse the 5.11 pulls with paracord, I did. You have to gently pry the "end cap" off then you'll see how they work, cut new cord and reassemble.

[​IMG]

14. Obscenejesster

That's exactly what I was going for. I am adding Black pouches to the bag which is sandstone . I wanted to add some black accents such as zipper pulls as well.

Thanks man.

15. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

GoBliNuke, pacrawshaw, echo63 and 2 others like this.
  16. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Now that's clever !
    I use the same knot when I replace zipper pulls, but I never thought of doing this

17. Freddo4J

Freddo4J Loaded Pockets

Sweet! I was tying those knots last winter after finding Stormdrane's blog (many thanks!). Now having seen them on the pack in this thread and I've got a project to do. Currently my TNF Surge has simple knots on 550 but that's about to change!