1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Changing EDC from Thrunite Archer 1Av3 to Lumintop EDC05

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, Aug 19, 2018.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I recently had two Thrunight flashlights break inexplicably. The first was a T10 I had gifted. After a few months it stopped working. The owner claimed nothing happened to the light. I figured it was a fluke and purchased the person another one. Then last week my Thrunite Archer 1Av3 stopped working. It had gone through the washer and dryer and stopped working. The Archer was my EDC. So I wanted another 1AA EDC but wasn't sure I wanted to spend another $30 on a light that stopped working for no good reason and started looking at other brands. I liked the Lumintop EDC05.

The EDC05 has a nice fit and finish. I like the design of the light, the mode settings (although I don't see a visual difference between the two highest modes). I also like the runtimes. It comes with a nice florescent orange wrist lanyard which would help make it more visible if dropped somewhere. Very nice size for pocket and it has a nice high ride pocket clip so it won't stick out o the pocket like the Archer did. If it proves reliable, it's a nice EDC light. The only obvious concern I have for it at the moment is the on off switch is a simple push button and I'm sure it wouldn't take much to accidently turn it on in the pocket (so I will have to be careful not to accidently turn it on while carrying it). It also doesn't have momentary on, but I'm willing to trade that for the smaller size and increased pocketability over the Archer v3.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

#1 dmattaponi, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. MAD777

MAD777 Loaded Pockets

I like AA (14500) sized lights for the not excuse not to carry it. Also easy to hold by the teeth when necessary. So much more power than AAA.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. dmattaponi

Me too, and Iike the ease of rechargable AA Eneloops

4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the report on the EDC05. You could probably lock out the button by partially unscrewing the head or tail of the light. Also, it looks like the clip is rotatable so you can turn it to a position where the button faces away from things that would bump it. Seems like a good light for the price. In my mind, though a moonlight mode should be less than a lumen. 2 lumens and especially 10 lumens on the 14500.

I kind of have to disagree with this one. If were not talking lithium rechargeables, most AA lights are only 30-50 lumens brighter than your average AAA light. Is it brighter, sure, and yeah there's better runtime too, and often a better UI, but the size advantage of the AAA lights is big and that comes in handy when you're carrying it in your mouth. I love my current AA zebralight, but when I need something small because of clothing issues, I'm going with a AAA every time.

Moshe ben David and dmattaponi like this.
  5. MAD777

MAD777 Loaded Pockets

I'm a lithium ion guy all the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. dmattaponi

Water Rat, yes I will turn the head a little to lock out. Turning the clip is also a good idea. Thanks.

7. dmattaponi

Correction/Update...I wanted to correct what I said in my original comments about not being able to see any noticeable difference in the brightness of the EDC05 comparing the medium and high lumen levels. Today I switched out the Duracell that came with the light for a Eneloop, and there was a very distinct, noticeable difference in brightness between these two levels. Evidently the Duracell just didn't have enough juice to power the light at the highest level. I'm even more happy with the light now.

On another note, I also picked up a Lumintop AA Tool. It's a nice light also, but if I were to choose between the two, I prefer the EDC05. I base this on the lumen/runtimes, pocket clip, switch, additional features, and the looks of the light. They are very comparable in size, so either could be easily pocket carried.