1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Changing Bags - Synapse 25 to Gamut?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Longbob, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

I am looking to possibly pick up a Vertx Gamut to replace my current edc bag.

I currently run a Tom Bihn Synapse 25. I use the bag daily for the office and on weekends for whatever I'm into mostly travel. Normally I don't over load the Synapse 25 but I do throw a change of clothes in there from time to time in order to take just 1 bag. Also carry a thin laptop or a thicker laptop for work.

I need the bag to be able to accommodate my setup of edc gear plus 1 change of clothes. I am going to miss the near perfect water bottle compartment on the Synapse 25 though.

Do you think the Gamut can accommodate a set of clothes plus a pretty average edc gear loadout?

Does everyone like their gamut?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

2. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Probably yes, but likely not comfortably. The gamut is very thin and low profile so depending on how much you load it up it will probably balloon up. You could also use the hidden beaver tail feature to attach some clothes which might work depending on the situation.

3. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

That's what I was a bit worried about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Well I found a great deal on a Gamut so I bought it to try out before I get rid of my Synapse. Fingers crossed it fits my needs because I really like the concept and looks of the Gamut

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I tried the Gamut but it was miserable to load to me.
    Twice as bad when in line at airport too!

I love my Synapse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

I like my Synapse too. Have had it since 2015 and used it every single day since. Just want to switch it up a bit and was hoping the Gamut would fit the bill. I think I am going to wind of keeping the Synapse 25 too.

I have Global Entry and TSA Pre Check so it's not often I need to worry about the bag at the airport. Basically when I fly international is my old time I have to take it apart.

Besides the loading of the bag did you like anything about the bag? I should be getting it Weds.

7. Michael Rex

Michael Rex Empty Pockets

I have had a Gamut for about 6 months now and really like it. Like others have said, the main compartment can get really thin when also using the laptop sleeve. My main thing was needing a bag that didn't need to be opened all the way to retrieve my laptop. My biggest gripe is if you have anything in the side compartments you cant really use the bottle pouch for anything bigger than a regular size 16 oz plastic water bottle. Kinda hard to explain you'll just have to try it. I really like it other than that, however if I found a better bag I wouldn't hesitate to switch. If you like the gamut but need a little bigger, they do make the gamut plus.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I mainly like the idea of the bag at this point more than any feature of the bag itself after trying to use it for a while.
    Somehow this bag has the least room inside of any bag of its overall size that I have ever seen before?
    It is like they only gave it so much internal volume and all pockets get to share that which really limits how much use I got out of the thing.
    All I can say for sure is that I was able to carry about 1/2 of what I needed to and have little issue carrying in other bags of the same basic claimed size.

The last straw for me was when in a little Airport in Maine the TSA emptied the Gamut for some reason and then told me to pack it back up and I actually could not get everything back in?
    Like a puzzle that I couldn't remember how to fix.

I hope it works out better for you.

Again between the S25 and Gamut like Night & Day.

9. Longbob

Longbob Loaded Pockets

Sending it back. The bag sucks. [​IMG]

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So how about a little detail?