1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Centreline Systems Mother Canteen Systems And G2 Gear Roll

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Scoman, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

So my first gear review or gear ‘show and tell’ on my blog. Today I would like to introduce you to the Centreline Mother Canteen Carrier (MCC). This has been designed to accept a variety of water containers. I’m using it with theKeith titanium canteen which is the same as the Heavy Cover Titanium Canteen (just not badged by Heavy Cover…I think). I’ll save the canteen for a future piece on the rest of my titanium kit.

So the MCC available from Centreline System here; Centreline Mother Canteen Carrier at the same time I bought a G2 gear roll to complement it. Both are in Ranger Green (RG) which is flat earthy green. Yes that's the price and I paid it, would I pay it again were I to lose it, yes. What I did not do is get it shipped to the UK. Mark at Centreline was happy to ship and gave me a quote but I bought it prior to a visit to NYC and had it delivered to the hotel for my arrival. Great communications with the owner and no probs having it delivered to a hotel for my arrival. Note: I warned the hotel prior to my arrival that I had packages arriving (I made other purchases).

As i said my one is Ranger Green, Raven Black which is now an option was not when I purchased but yes I would like one. The idea of the MCC is to provide water and the maximum amount of gear in a minimalist package. It does so and does it in a well made, robust package.

PDP03443

Mother Canteen Carrier and G2 Gear Roll

The outside is made of 500D cordura with front pocket two side pockets and a slide pocket to the rear of the main part of the pouch. Quality plastic buckles are used throughout, I’m unsure whether they’re duraflex or ITW. The canteen, front and side pouches are firmly secured with 25mm webbing and have velcro across the front. The rear of the pouch has MOLLE webbing including attachments. There are additional small gear loops on the front either side of the front pouch that’ll take a pen or a cyalume. The bottom of the pouch has loops to attach additional items to and in my case used for the G2 gear roll. If you don’t want to attach the MCC via MOLLE it can be carried as a shoulder pack. The MCC comes with a bare webbing strap attached to the buckles on the flaps of the side pockets. It goes from 25mm webbing for the buckles to 40mm webbing for the main body of the strap. A separate padded shoulder strap can be bought but this wasn’t available when I made my purchase. It’s well sewn, made with quality materials and comfortable to carry.

So what do I carry in mine;

PDP03444

Front pocket contents – Cooking

Front pocket – The front pocket carries my cooking kit. In the small green plastic pouch I have The Pocket Stove in titanium, The Pocket Stove Ti. I got this second hand with the plastic pouch. I have two blocks of solid Dragon fuel, a silicon hot-lips cover for my mug, a small metal round tin as a burning container for the fuel, a genuine Aussie FRED and the piece in red on the MCC itself is a long K&M match case in aluminum with a piece of retro reflective tape around it (the gray bit). There is also a quality Suunto compass in the top of the match case. This is a fair amount of kit and allows me to boil water in the canteen mug or in fact the canteen. This is in fact the essence of my kit selection. I wanted a means to carry water, make a brew/purify water in all environments even where I can’t have an open fire. Not pictured is a Chinese copy storm lighter.

PDP03445

Right pocket contents – Brew, food

The right hand side pouch carries brew kit and food. I carry Clif bars or Trek bars as food. The Trek bars are preferred because of the lack of added sugar and bits. They’re also more filling in my opinion although I do find you need a brew to help them go down. For brew kit I only drink tea or espresso and I’m not carrying my espresso kit with me. I carry a few teabags, sugar (usually demerara) and some sachets of whitener but thats usually more for the look of it as they add little to the taste. I also carry a titanium spork because you never know when you need a bit of a tool or spork.

The left hand pocket carries some paracord (just visible in the shade),

PDP03447

Left pocket contents – assorted

some hand cleanser in a spray pen format, an energy drink to make up 1litre of drink and in the little yellow pouch is a titanium foil windshield. Additional bits are the small button torch from the Bushcraft UK forum BCUK secured to the main buckle. To the rear of the main pouch for the canteen is a small slip pocket where I keep my bottle hanger (to suspend the bottle over an open fire if needed/possible) and mug lid. My plan for this kit was to provide me with an ability to carry water, boil it if needed in the canteen or mug, make a brew and have a bit of something to eat. So if I’m out and about and want to do a bit of exploring I have basic kit to supplement what I have in my pockets or EDC bag.

The G2 Gear Roll from Centreline Systems is can be used on it’s own but in fact compliments the MCC beautifully. Centreline Systems G2 Gear Roll The Gear roll is aPDP03448 pretty compact package made of 500D cordura and 25mm webbing. The webbing goes around the roll and is tensioned with a ladder-lock buckle. A handle made of webbing is provided with a patch of loop velcro. I have mine pretty stuffed full and it measures 14cmX10cmX27cm (HxWxL). It could be smaller in height or width depending on how much stuff you have inside. Again this is a quality made piece of gear and it’s loops fit nicely under the MCC as a compact but complete package. To access the pockets you loosen the straps going around the gear roll slip them off the ends and voila.

PDP03450

Further details are at the site accessed at the link above but there are different ways of carrying it or even using it as a chest rig. If that is in fact your gig.

So what do I carry in mine. So the right hand pocket, I carry some more paracord, an Adventure Medical Kits first aid kit ‘Medical Kit .5′(check out my products page) to which I’ve added an Israeli 4” traumaPDP03453 bandage, these are great pieces of kit and so adaptable, (I buy mine from an eBay shop 4” Israeli Bandage), a thermal blanket and an ‘AMK/SOL Pocket survival pak plus’. I don’t know if these are still available but it’s a nice handy little package. In addition I’ve got more Trek bars, just in case.

PDP03452

The center pocket is taken up with a military casualty blanket, essentially a proper space blanket in a vacuum packed bag. I’ve included some small titanium tent pegs. To be honest I’m not too sure they’ll hold at all well but the blanket can be wrapped around me if things go a bit ‘Pete Tong’. It’s quite bulky but very light and I’m looking at this whole package as providing me with food, first aid, cutting tools and a means to holding and purifying water.

The right hand side has two pockets opening at opposing ends. PDP03451In the top one I carry a Leatherman Signal, this is in a privately made pouch by a guy called Boris under the name of ‘Sarma’. I’ll do a separate review of this. I haven’t used it much but it’s got some of the feature that I wanted. I also carry a Victorinox sharpening tool. In the bottom pocket I have a Petzl E-lite (Products page) for a head torch and yet again another Trek bar (they are good very palatable and this is my favorite flavour).

PDP03443

All together ready to be carried. It can be improved upon with a padded shoulder strap, these were not available when I purchased it but they are available on the website. I have it adjusted so it sits nicely at my butt and carries comfortably. I really like this as a complete package, it gives me a bit of kit to safely scout a bit. Lightweight Goretex gear could be added but not a lot of additional clothes could be easily included.

It was expensive but great kit, well made and provides me a complete safety/survival package. I would buy another, in black, with a padded shoulder strap but only if I was getting it posted to the US when I was over for a visit. A great compact lightweight set of gear.

The full review of my Centreline Systems Mother Canteen Carrier and G2 Gear Roll can be found here;

https://packyrbag.com/reviews/

#1 Scoman, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
    ArkansasFan30 and Bander124 like this.
  2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Needs pictures that show a different background the items blend to well

Scoman likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I have the same gear but in Multicam. I bought Multicam because it just looks cool, but I often wish I'd gone with ranger green as well.

An item that is also a must is the padded strap wrap designed to Velcro over the canteen carrier's shoulder straps.

With the gear roll attached the combination is too much weight for a single shoulder strap.

Mark makes incredibly good gear at CLS. I admire him. If you look at his bio on his website you would too.

Incidentally, I have a Keith Ti canteen. It was actually given to me unused by a friend that decided against using it.

I also bought a MEST Poncho in Multicam from Bushcraft Outfitters as well as their "line kit" specifically for this CLS set up.

In the canteen carrier, I generally pack it with light, ergonomic items as noted on Dave Canterbury's 10C's of Survivability list adding an 11th C for cleaning.

The gear roll is an optional add on item, and one needs to use discretion in this combo. An extended trip needing a G2 probably just needs a small backpack.

Joe Robinet did a Northern Canada, overnight bushcrafting video using only the Mother and G2 roll as his gear carrier.

Here's what I have loaded in my stuff, and it's designed to augment my pocket EDC which is generally the same anywhere - (wallet with lockpicks and Fresnel lens; MicroStream, F-701 pen, pocket handkerchief, Glock pistol, folding knife, Citizen wristwatch).

Mother Canteen Carrier:
    -Left pocket, Petzl headlamp
    -Right pocket, Snow Peak To spirk, a ten foot hank of Paracord, and 2 two meter hanks of whatever the skinny paracord stuff is.
    -Center pocket, approximately 8-10 feet if Gorilla tape wrapped longitudinally around an old gift card with a sail needle taped to the tape by a piece of gaffter tape. It's in a Ziploc bag perfectly sized for this; a green/silver space Blanket with 3 coffee filters folded up, a two foot long sheet of aluminum foil wrap, 7.5 (presently) TinderQuik tabs, a sheet of six water purification tabs all stuffed in the space blanket baggy, single pack Wet One. Very tinytbottle of hand sanitizer. Bic ighter with a ranger band wrapped around it, ferrocerium rod from HardCase Survival, and a Silva compass. In reality, when I've used the kit I take the Silva out and insert my Suunto MC-2 G with a titanium whistle on the lanyard giving me auditory and visual signalling.

-Keith Ti canteen, cup, and lid.

G2 Gear Roll:
    -Largest pocket, Bushcraft Outfitters (BCO) MEST poncho, BCO line kit (super light and comoact), 4 light, aluminum stakes.
    -Next larger pocket, H&H compressed Z-fold gauze, H&H mini compression bandage, Frontier water purification straw, 2 Clif bars (crunchy peanut butter is my fav).
    One small pocket is emoty.
    Another has an Altoids-sized tin with some BandAids, towlettes, salt and pepper packets, Wiley's bullion cubes, and a Slim Jim wrapped around the inside perimeter. (I actually hate Slim Jim's.)

Now, admittedly, I've never used the gear roll, lol. It's just packed. I have removed the poncho and stapped to the Mother's bottom MOLLE loops.

Hiking, I'll put a Leatherman Wave on my belt and a fixed blade knife, Randall made or Bark River.

Edited because of fat thumbs.

Last edited by ArkansasFan30, Aug 27, 2018
    #3 ArkansasFan30, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Scoman likes this.
  4. Sutty33

Sutty33 Loaded Pockets

Well Y’all ,
    Here is my Centerline Systems Mother and G2 . First, the Quality , Design , and The Owner are the BEST I’ve had the Privilage to deal with and own . Cannot say enough Great Things About Centerline .

This travels in my Truck , and anywhere else I need it to go. It is a integral part of my Layered EDC . Besides my Pack and CCW, This is my “Grab and Go” should I need to vacate pronto. The Knife System that’s pictured is all part of it too.

I went ahead and Paracord wrapped the G2 Handle, the Mother Strap ( a folded hank is underneath the wrapping for more cord) and finally I wrapped the Knife System Strap as well . All told , it’s around 30 feet worth. I continually struggle with what to carry in mine.. Shelter, Fire , H2O Purification for sure... Anyway here is a pic

[​IMG]

5. ArkansasFan30

@Sutty33 The beauty of it is you don't have to leave anything in it! You can put what you want in there. What's your knife, btw?

This general list about covers the gamut and all will fit in your system!
    Knife
    Cover/shelter
    Cordage
    Fire
    Water purification
    Light
    Repair
    Navigation
    Quick snacks
    Medical
    Hygiene-Something for the old bum maybe

Last edited by ArkansasFan30, Sep 1, 2018
    #5 ArkansasFan30, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. Sutty33

Sutty33 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Brother,
    I have most of that list .... No Snacks, Hygiene or Repair.... The Knife is a Wallace Edge Tools, DW Backcountry. The Sheath System is from Doug Wilson at Yellow Hawk Custom Kydex. Also, Doug is the DW in the Knife Design . Both of theses are in my Truck all the time, My EDC Bag ( ITS Gen 2 Driscreet Tactical ) with my CCW stays on me

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

I just read over my posts and still had some errors. I've really got to slow down my thumb typing.