1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

:censored: you TSA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Jharpphoto, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jharpphoto

Jharpphoto Loaded Pockets

TSA confiscated my first and favorite Surefire. An old E2L Outdoorsman with Malkoff head. I was told it might be used as a weapon and that it looked "menacing". This light had no crenelations on the bezel or any sharp areas on the light. I intentionally took this light because I thought it wouldn't be likely to cause any trouble. When the TSA agent told me the light could be used as a weapon, I told the agent his breath might be used as a weapon. Fast forward, he took my light.

So like many of you I have lots of lights for different purposes. Currently I'm carrying a SF E1D Defender. I like this little light. I'm looking for something with at least 300lumens preferably 500 + max and a low light mode of 5lumens or moonlight. I would like an option of a bezel without crenelations as well. I like the Malkoff lights but they don't seem to have the output I'm looking for. I also have always liked the HDS lights but same story, not enough lumens. My wife is on me to give her something I want for my 50th birthday in Jan and I'm thinking a new light would be pretty good. Any suggestions?

2. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

firs time of me hearing of a flashlight confiscation, my condolences. I never rant much and keep my politics to myself but really FU-TSA.

corrsk, Tony Sal and garza like this.
  3. JLeePhoto

JLeePhoto Loaded Pockets

Sorry about the confiscation. I guess the TSA agent wanted a new light.
    You don’t say what purpose you wish the new light to serve, what batteries you wish to use or the size of the light you’re seeking so its difficult to make a recommendation.
    I’m relatively new to the Malkoff brand with only a couple of lights, and when I first purchased I was a little surprised that the lumen counts were lower than I’d become accustomed to with some of my other brands. But, I quickly got over it when I recognized that the build quality and simplicity of these Malkoffs are in an entirely different league. It also made me question how many lumens I really need for a given activity.
    If you’ve got your major needs covered and just want a new light that adds a different dimension, I’d suggest either a Malkoff MD2 with Hi/Lo head or a Hounddog 18650 to try out the brand. You might also consider a VME Head for your E1D and one of the various dropins to begin experimenting with different powers and tints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you are looking to stay within the lines of the best and most simple and not custom like Oveready then SF,Malkoff,Elzetta may be your only real choices.
    SF certainly makes lights more powerful than you want as well as Elzetta who are more unsung I think than the others and I too appreciate the build and value that Malkoff offers and would suggest that you try them before deciding the output is not enough for you too.

Then there are lights like ZL,Olight,Nitecore,Jetbeam,Klarus,Fenix and I think you get the idea that are really great lights but maybe not as rugged and simple as you want in the end somehow?

I carry ZL mainly though and have yet to have any issues at all with any of them and I run them hard every single day as I just can not see well enough without extra light to help it seems?

You can sure find a ZL with more than 500 l and they do not seem too menacing to me either but the TSA is clearly another story on that one.

If I were traveling and was worried about this happening again I would get a couple of Convoy S2+ for under $20 and if they are taken just live with it!
    I think you might also be stunned at just how great these are regardless of price and be on to another world of cheap high output lights!
    Mu Convoy have been so great that I usually just carry an S2 for work these days and then if lost or crushed I am out almost nothing while still being able to throw 1000l or more all day long too.

Man that just sucks though,again sorry for your loss there.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear about TSA. Unfortunately, the rules are the “discretion” of the agents which leaves lots of room for stupidity and corruption. Before lighters were ever banned then allowed again, I had a cigar lighter and a keychain made of bicycle gear chain (pictured below) confiscated because they could be a weapon. I also had arguments with TSA over a prescription self-injector kit, water flavor tablets in tube that “looked like mace” and stuffing clothing in a stainless travel mug.
    [​IMG]

6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

TSA agents have been given permission to steal any item they want.

7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That certainly seems to be the case.

Normally the greed for money takes over at some point, I'm wondering when the people above them will come up with an 'holding area' for such items, the traveller can then collect their item(s) when they return, after paying the storage fee of course.

garza likes this.
  8. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

Surefire EDCL1-T

9. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

TSA let me through with a full size Leatherman RUT once. Yet every time I try to travel with my Style PS, they make me take it out of my bag and question me on it. FU TSA

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

From the TSA website:

Antlers
    • Carry On Bags: Yes
    • Checked Bags: Yes
    You may transport this item in carry-on or checked bags. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Artificial Skeleton Bones
    LED lights

Looks like Christmas Shopping is in full force at the TSA.

ATB,
    Sam

Tony Sal, kikaida and garza like this.
  11. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I told the agent his breath might be used as a weapon.

I'm guessing this pretty much guaranteed it was gone.

HeadOffice, Tony Sal, Moco and 7 others like this.
  12. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Sorry you lost your light. I've taken a Surefire e2e on dozens and dozens of domestic flights without incident, although I think it's a little smaller than the E2L. The only time I had any issue was with a tiny Swiss Army Classic knife (2" blade) and I had forgotten to take off my key chain. The TSA officer gave me the option of getting out of line and mailing it to myself.

Being rude to the officer probably wasn't the best course of action. I believe if you have a issue, you can ask to speak to a supervisor. I could see a 4-cell Maglite being considered a weapon...

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I always travel with a self addessed tyvek envelope with postage already applied. If TSA doesnt like something I'm carrying, I've always been able to exit line and find a mailbox to drop the item in and mail it home to myself.

14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

TSA is one of the reason I started carrying a slim utility knife or an art & craft knive. I removed the blade from my TPT and left the utility blade with the TSA agent.

I have had TSA confiscate my keychain opener.

15. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

Do any of you guys use TSA precheck? I have traveled with a lot of grey items and never had an issue. I imagine like other mentioned, being rude to the TSA agent didn't help your case one bit. I am sure they get enough crap from the thousands of passengers they deal with in a day, attitude won't help.
    A tip, instead of worrying about mailing an item instead of having it confiscated. Almost every airport has a lost and found, turn it in to lost and found, call them the next/same day and say you lost said item, then when you return to that airport go claim your item back from the lost in found.

Windy Isle and Tony Sal like this.
  16. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have TSA pre. The checks seem to be performed by more senior staff. I have never been questioned about items using pre similar to the non pre checks. The TSA agents would have to know the travelers are more experienced with allowed/disallowed.

I wouldn’t use lost and found at the airport for safekeeping.

Tony Sal likes this.
  17. 01bugtruck

01bugtruck Loaded Pockets

i accidentally traveled with a "cia knife"...ya know those plastic letter opener types..
    actually is quite menacing and could absolutely be used as a weapon.

it was hidden away at the bottom of the the water bladder slot in a Grey Ghost Throwback, wrapped in a bandana.

Was not picked up at Fort Lauderdale International on the way and was not picked up at Dayton International on the way home..wasn't until i was home and unpacking that i found it.. i was like OMG! i am so lucky i didnt get nailed with this thing..

i think im so clever hiding weapons everywhere..jeez..:furious: last thing i want is a felony weapons charge.

It did however prove how ineffectual airport security actually is, as they harassed an 80 year old vet in a wheelchair and his wife about a can of sunscreen (personally witnessed on that same trip).

Edit: to stay on topic, I carried a AAA microstream and it was not confiscated.

Last edited by 01bugtruck, Dec 18, 2018
    #17 01bugtruck, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Tony Sal and kikaida like this.
  18. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I actually passed through the metal detector at a TSA checkpoint with a Kershaw Chive that I forgot was in my pocket. I have no clue how it wasn’t picked up. I made sure a mailed it home before flying back because there was no way I was going to try my luck a second time, especially considering I would be leaving from Mobile, where I always had issues with TSA.

#18 SOS24, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Tony Sal, garza and 01bugtruck like this.
  19. James A. Cathcart

James A. Cathcart Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear about your flashlight. Last month I had a TSA agent attempt to confiscate my County Comm aluminum ballpoint pen. I politely told him that he "was not getting a free pen today", so I left it with his supervisor, went to the gift shop where I bought a padded envelope and stamps and walked with the supervisor to a mail box.

As far as flashlights go, I travel extensively and never had a problem with my Olight S1. It's a powerful light and far too small to be considered a weapon of any kind.

Good luck in the future!

Tony Sal and garza like this.
  20. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear that your light was taken. That seems like one of the least threatening light configurations.