1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Cell phone pouch

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by yugotprblms, Apr 8, 2014.

1. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

I am looking for advice on a cell phone pouch to attach to the shoulder straps of my GR1, which as you all know, has vertical molle straps. Not many cell phone holders are made for them. The TAD iComm would work well, but they are out of stock. I could gerry-rig a few other options, such as offerings from Hazard 4, 5.11, Maxpedition, etc..., to work with what I want, but it would be bulkier than I care for.

And before you suggest that I turn the holster sideways, I would really prefer the phone to be mounted vertically, as to not protrude much over the sides of the straps.

Any ideas?

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Maxpedition CP Series (S, M, or L depending on phone size).

Had one of the tines on the buckle of mine break, but things happen.

Backs are set of like this to handle vertical or horizontal Molle on the M, L sizes. Not sure if the S is dual mode, but it looks like it is set up to at least handle vertical Molle.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

3. yugotprblms

Hmm, that is certainly an option. I am not sure how I feel about how open the phone would be to getting hit or anything.

4. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

llphone holder is a 511 GPS pouch for all weather ans secure cover with velcro and buckle; attached on my Rush messenger.

5. Dread

Dread Loaded Pockets

Think you have the wrong photo, boss.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jag-engr likes this.
  6. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]this is the one!

7. yugotprblms

I decided to give the Big Koala pouch from Hazard 4 a try, with the 3 inch TacTies from Maxpedition to mount it the way I want.

I will probably post pictures and a quick review of how I feel about it when I get a chance.

8. Dread

Dread Loaded Pockets

I'll be waiting with baited breath. What phone do you have?

9. yugotprblms

Galaxy S4 with a UAG case on it.

10. Dread

Dread Loaded Pockets

OK, cool. One other thing to look at is Maxped's new TC line. I bought a TC-1 for under $30 for my Nexus 4. Has a belt loop with webbing, and molle on the sides which could serve other purposes. I'm also carrying a leatherman in the interior pouch which fits quite well.

11. yugotprblms

Hmm, I will take a look at those. If the Koala does not work out, maybe I will try that direction.

12. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

I originally purchased the Big Koala Pouch for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Its a nicely made pouch. Unfortunatly it did not fit my Note 3 with Trident case. Without the case though its fit great. However I prefer to protect my investment so I ended up giving my Koala Pouch to a good friend so they could use with their Galaxy 2. decided to special order two pouches from Tactical Tailor for my Note 3, which is a considerably larger smart phone (phablet).

13. yugotprblms

Update: The Koala ended up being useless for my purposes. It would have been way too difficult to try to hog-tie it to my GR1 as intended, so I sent it back quickly. I kept on searching and searching, even asking Tactical Tailor about making/modifying one. I then took another look at Zombie Hunter Tactical's iComm pouches. I didn't notice they had two versions, a larger and a smaller one. I went ahead and bought the larger one, and it works pretty much exactly as I had wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems to be an attempt at copying TAD's iComm pouch, but the quality still feels pretty :censored: good. It has the horizontal and vertical velcro straps for various mounting options, and the horizontal ones worked out well for my set up. They are nice and snug. The velcro on the main closure is nice and tough, at least at first use.

So unless I get picky and decide on want it on the side of my pack instead of the shoulder, then this should be the solution I have been looking for. Hopefully this helps someone else out there.

odg and vinniec5 like this.
  14. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

TAD Gear's website frequenty indicates the iComm pouch as out-of-stock, but their retail stores usually have them. Try calling their main store "Dogpatch Base" (number at bottom of their website) to see if they might mail you one.

15. JTPhoenix

JTPhoenix Loaded Pockets

If that doesn't end up working out, I heartily recommend a Bikase. Keeps my phone available, but dry.

16. dms

dms Loaded Pockets

I have a brand new TAD iComm in Coyote Kahki I will sell you - pm me if interested.

17. yugotprblms

Didn't read much of the thread, did you?

18. Canadian Bacon

Canadian Bacon Empty Pockets

19. CJ89

CJ89 Loaded Pockets

For those of you with TAD iComm experience, will it fit an iPhone 5 in an Otterbox defender?

I have a Galaxy S4 Mini in a Trident case. This is the phone I would use the pouch for. With its case, the GS4 Mini is nearly identical in size to my work phone. (iPhone 5 w/Otterbox Defender)

Pix on TAD Gear's website show a naked iPhone in the pouch. Curious to know if one wearing a full size case will still fit.

20. dms

dms Loaded Pockets

My iPhone 5S would not fit in the TAD iComm