1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CCW questions, please come!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by DemskeetSkeet, Nov 16, 2008.

1. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone! I turn 21 in December and would like to know some general information on obtaining a CCW.

I live in Michigan so I'm sure it's different in every state.

Okay, here we go:

How much does it cost?

What kind of tests?

Shooting test?

How long does it take?

And do I need to bring my own pistol?

I may have more questions later so lets please start with the basics.

Thanks!

2. mr.squatch

mr.squatch Empty Pockets

It is different in every state. In WA I simply went into the police station and filled out the form, gave fingerprints and $65 bucks and my permit arrived in the mail. In Oklahoma it was around 300 bucks, a 12 hour course including shooting at the range (competency only). In TX it was an 8 hour (I believe) course, with shooting in the morning, then around 300 total to get the paperwork all submitted etc. Most places will let you rent a gun if you don't have one. You'll want to shoot with an auto because if you qualify with a wheelgun they often times won't let you ccw an auto. quick google search came up with this:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-012_7736_7.pdf

good luck

g

3. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the club, here is a great site for info.

handgunlaw.us

4. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

as a fellow michigander, i can tell you how it went when i got certified 4 yrs ago:

Cost: $105 for the permit, maybe $10 for the prints/having application notarized (it was something ridiculous)

I had to take an NRA CCW course (i know it has another name). It was like an 8-10 hr course over 2 days with an "hour" of range time (more like 25 minutes). Cost was $135.

I can't remember if there was a written test... there may have been.

Shooting test: At 7 yds, my instructor had me do the following: Shoot 2-handed, strong-, weak-handed, reload, clear a jam. Only thing you had to do was hit an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper. Probably put 100-120 rds down range.

At the place i did it (Total Firearms in Mason), you had the option of using your own gun or they'd let you use 1 or more of their range guns as part of the price... you just paid for ammo.

After getting all the info/paperwork, i think it took 2.5-3 months to get the permit back.

good luck!

5. DemskeetSkeet

Thanks for all the great info guys! I was in Mason just last weekend at the gun and knife show so that's pretty cool that you took your ccw course over there.

I'll have to take a look at asll of the info you guys gave me.

Thanks!

6. mr.squatch

mr.squatch Empty Pockets

not sure if michigan permits come from the same place as texas, but we got our certs here over 4 months ago and they say we're nowhere near to getting our permits. Dunno what the reason for the backlog is. Hoping to get it before Obama takes over his new office.

g

7. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

That is outrageous!! In GA it costs around $40, depending on the county. No "class" is required. And it usually takes only about 1 month.

I can't believe how much it cost you to exercise the 2A right that should be FREE! How many of our forefather's died for that right?

Sorry, I didn't mean to take over the thread, it's just frustrating sometimes.

8. Exmasonite

Still, best $250 i ever spent.

(yes, i realize that's way too much to pay for a constitutional right but it's not enough for me to "boycott" it!)

9. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Here in Florida its $117 for the first time, good for 5 years. 75 bucks to renew it. Great thing is, it pretty much allows you to carry not just firearms, but also knives, clubs...etc

10. DemskeetSkeet

That's pretty cool.

I'm in Michigan and as the guy stated below as being the best $200+ he has spent, I'm sure I'll go through with it.

Does anyone know if the ccw in Michigan will allow you to carry a larger than a 3" knife?

Plus to spend around $200 to not only carry a firearm but to purchase them quicker than not having a ccw is worth it alone.

11. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

In GA it doesn't make a difference, if you have the permit or not. It still takes the same amount of time to purchase a gun.

I agree, in that i would pay it if it cost $250.00, but i certainly wouldn't be happy about it.

12. Exmasonite

In michigan it's not actually a "CCW": it's a "CPL"= Concealed Pistol License.

So it does just that... gives you permisstion to carry a concealed pistol. No more, no less.

13. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

What if you have a "wheel gun"? :lolhammer:
    (j/k)

14. SloMo228

SloMo228 Empty Pockets

I'm from MI as well, and got my CPL when I turned 21 (actually, I took the test before I turned 21...) I paid about the same, though my test was quite a bit less intensive - just 50 rounds downrange at a 12x12 target 7 yards away. Couldn't have been easier, yet there were still people in my class who didn't pass it... One woman in my class actually shot the <i>floor</i>!

Anyway, it's expensive, but it's worth the price. Plus, being able to buy handguns on the spot without having to run back and forth between the police station and the shop is pretty nice.

15. DemskeetSkeet

Yeah exactly my point in buying one. I dont really plan on carrying a pistol, just being able to buy them much faster

16. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I'm from Michigan as well and the costs and time it takes to get a permit vary by county. In Wayne County, I think it is $135 for the paperwork, fees, and finger prints, and usually around $100 for the required class. Most classes last a weekend, with about an hour in the range. They say you can expect to receive your permit after all the paperwork is done in two months of less.
    As someone stated before, it's a CPL (concealed pistol license), and allows you to carry just a pistol concealed - nothing to do with carrying any other type of weapon. To the best of my knowledge, there is no restrictions on what type of handgun you carry, or how many.

I agree that it's a shame that we have to pay so much and go through so many hoops to get a license to do something that's listed in the constitution. Seems like that money would be better spent on safety training and practice. I also agree though, that it's totally worth it. Even just for the easy of purchasing firearms in the future.

Good luck and be safe!

17. Exmasonite

and for those non-michiganders keeping score, probably better to explain this one fun point:

In michigan, if you don't have a CPL and want to buy a handgun, you have to go to local PD or sheriff and get a "purchase permit" which you have 10 business days to use (or something like that). I think you may be restricted to number/limit of permits at any one time... depends on your municipality.

Then, you take said permit to pistol sale (1 copy to seller, 2 copies to buyer).

Next (oh no, you're not done), you have 10 days to take that new gun and copy of permit BACK to the PD/sheriff to get a "safety inspection" which is basically a back door gun registration program. They give you a little inspection card that you're required to keep on your person at all times when carrying said gun. (just ANOTHER card to waste space in my wallet)

With the CPL, you don't need to do the purchase permit nonsense but you DO still have to bring gun in for inspection/registration withing 10 days of purchase.

GreenLED: I think "pistol" = handgun with the subcategories of "(semi)auto vs revolver". My little "inspection card" has the word "auto" on mine (don't own any revolvers)

18. sigmonster45

sigmonster45 Banned

I'm from k.c. mo cost me 85.00 for 10 hr. class had to qualify with pistol and revolver then 100.00 to sheriff dept. and highway patrol for background check and prints I can carry and conceal any legal weapon.

19. Mud

Mud Loaded Pockets

After Jan 1 you no longer have to return to the PD

20. Exmasonite

really? do you have any links/info on that? i hadn't heard that but then again, i haven't been paying attention.

so for CPL holders, you never have to go to PD in the first place? Do you still need to carry the old green "inspection cards" or not? thanks!