1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

CCW for Fat Guy?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by monkshave, May 31, 2015.

1. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

Yeah I'm 5'10" 225lbs (I'm big boned, not fat...that's what my mama says) and I appendix carry a Glock 19 or 3 o'clock a Glock 43. My belly shelf adds to the concealment. FUnny thing is the Glock 19 AIWB conceals better than the G-43. Holsters , position and belt really are key to good concealment. I still need to lose 35 pounds...then I'll be able to conceal an AR 15!

Cobra 6 Actual and Leemann like this.
  2. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

While this may be the go to answer for someone you know. The anonymity of the internet lets many people ask questions without divulging their life story which can and does include lifestyle, medical or other possible complications which simply makes "just start working out" not always the plausible answer for everyone.

Stormdrane and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. addictedhealer

addictedhealer Loaded Pockets

I do agree, it's generally case by case. Losing doesn't always require exercising and working out. Changing eating habits also helps in losing weight. If it takes months or years who cares so long as you are gaining health. Like I said I'm not trying to bash anybody just want other guardians of our nation to live as long as they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dizzie56

dizzie56 Loaded Pockets

1911's are always easy to conceal without a holster. carry mine everyday now for almost a year on my strong side cocked and locked. verrrry slim, not that heavy when you get used to it. if you want something lighter go with a sig p220 carry sas. had one of those, want to get another, quite a bit lighter.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I appendix carry a Glock 22 with no problems.

FYI I'm 5'9" and weigh between 225 and 300 lbs because of intermittent medical issues.

I use a Glocktech MIC and a good belt.

This combination keeps me from having to size-up in pants, and I'm able to wear slim fitting T Shirts with no printing. I

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. Texasshipagent

Texasshipagent Loaded Pockets

Above poster a bit rudebut can say I lost 90lbs and among many benefits of loosing weight my ability and comfort to carry greatly increased, it's a struggle to carry comfortably at 275 lbs and over trust me I know !!!

That being said the OP has a good point as it's very hard with extra weight to carry and be comfortable and made clear he has medical issues facilitating that

Perry suspenders makes some great heavy duty suspenders so you can have a OWB or IWB holster and wear your pants/belt a little looser as when your belly is bigger than your hips typically have to cinch the belt to keep your pants up, a three point holder/pistol/mag rig don't help the cause

Of its it winter and have outerwear can do shoulder holsters

Or I found a good pocket holster and a smith J-frame or my sig P938 typically carry well in most jeans

Or in texas men wear cowboy style boots and an ankle holster sits sell in them although was never a fan personally of that rig it can be practical

Or some deep conceal options like the 5.11 undershirt holster or kangaroo carry holster are good for larger folks

Last is off body carry, tactical 'murses' and leather satchels are a bit obvious as they are nerdy but maybe can find a good EDC type bag that is discreet and meets your personal style

Good luck amigo ! I was there once too and not that long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stormdrane likes this.
  7. jpeaslee

jpeaslee Loaded Pockets

when I'm CCW on my person I have my XDs in a remora holster at about 4 o'clock. Very comfortable!

8. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

Yep, I know a retired LEO who almost always carried a small caliber handgun in a pants pocket.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

9. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

My go to is a button up flannel/plaid type shirt. The key here is the pattern of the shirt. The right pattern can make detecting any printing much more difficult than a solid color shirt. I also get those shirts a size bigger than I wear, and I wear them over another loose t-shirt. It's a bit hot in the summer but I've worn similar clothes for jobs before, you will adjust. There are also some nice thin breathable shirts by companies like 5.11 that may be cooler, but from what I've seen they lack the plaid pattern that helps disrupt printing.

Regardless of the clothes, I always carry IWB at 3:30-4ish. The higher I carry, the more it prints. I have a convenient "hollow spot" under my love handle and above my butt cheek where I can hide just about any gun. Ironically it seems the more my pants sag, the easier it is to conceal. The bottom line is finding what works for your body type, not so much your weight per say. I've also made a lot of changes to my wardrobe, some of which I'm not really thrilled about, but you're either dedicated to carrying or you're not. I'm not big on baggy clothes, especially my shirts, so it's a big change for me.

10. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Elastic BELLYBANDS work pretty good for us husky guys. Some companies make them up to size 5X.

11. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

6'1" and my weight fluctuates from 295-305 lbs
    Carry IWB 3:30-4:00 depending on pant loops
    I have 2 snaps on my IWB holster and I snap around a belt loop to prevent movement.
    Collared golf shirts untucked

Pocket carry when I must tuck.

12. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

Large and in charge member of the fat boy club here...lol. I carry a Beretta Nano in a Desantis Pocket-tuk (either IWB or take the belt clip off for pocket carry) and it is extremely comfortable at the 3-4 o'clock position with a slight cant. I also went up a pants size and got a decent belt I've actually gotten to the door at a couple of "hard" no gun zones (in KY, signs do not carry the force of law except for government buildings, schools, and hospitals) and had to turn around and head back to the car to lock up my pistol. IWB carry can be done by a larger individual. However, I find it much easier with a single stack pistol than a double stack like my M&P 9c.

13. LSP972

LSP972 Loaded Pockets

This^. A 1000X this. Back when I was ripped, with a good V shape (and a cop), I avoided IWB because it was "uncomfortable". And it was; IWB holster development was stagnated. I would stick a J frame in a cheap Bianchi clip-on IWB into my jeans or shorts at the appendix position at times; a flat belly makes this a non-issue. But continual IWB carry at 3:00 was simply awkward, due to poor holster selection and my lack of knowledge of the craft (I didn't get into plain clothes until late in my career).

These days, I'm retired and blown up by heart meds (5'4"/225#), and I carry a HK USPc IWB every day, rather comfortably. Wilderness "Instructor" belt w/titanium buckle and a modified RMHolsters Lo-Rider; extra magazine is carried OWB, in a low profile pouch. This is covered by Hawaiian-style loose shirts; comfortable here in the sib-tropics of south Louisiana. Fortunately, I have enough of a chest remaining to allow the shirts to properly "drape" over my belly; but I still would be a soup sandwich if I carried AIWB.

I got to this state of "reasonable comfort" after trying all sorts of holsters and positions. I carry a service piece (as opposed to a pocket 9mm or other mouse gun) into retirement because the demographic here was utterly raped by Katrina; shootings are a daily thing here, and not just in the "depressed areas".

My point is, OP, that there is a gun/belt/IWB holster combination out there for you. You just have to find it. It will take time, effort, and money.

14. Zirk208

Zirk208 Loaded Pockets

Take the time to really analyze and evaluate the handgun you choose.

I recently shot with a first time shooter getting her CCW permit. She heavier and had larger hands. She was trying to use a Taurus TCP .380 (I believe it's their knock off version of the Ruger LCP). Her sausage fingers couldn't get a good grip, couldn't get a good trigger pull without running into other fingers, and she kept hitting the mag release inadvertently. The smaller grip kept getting swallowed up in the larger "extra padding" of her hands. With more training, it's possible she could have worked out the kinks, but the path she was headed down was one of giving up and frustration.

Different hands and body styles have different needs, and what works for one may not work for another.

15. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

As a Strong member of the 5'6" club and weighing in at 210. I can say that HK VP9 @ 4 O'clock in an alien wear 3 IWB is just plain nice. I can even ride all day in the car with out it crippling me.

Is it the best solution? Not for everyone but I really like it.

it is just one more option.

The other comment I have to make is get clothes that fit. Not tight but if you are going to carry you need a size or 2 bigger.

16. fisk-king

fisk-king Loaded Pockets

5'10 260#s reporting in for roll call. The holster makes a big difference as well as the size of the gun. Since it is warming up in my area I've been carrying a Glock 43 in a Hawg holster. During the fall and winter, a Glock 23 in a White Hat holster.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

17. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

I'm a big guy (6' 2", 320 pounds) and I carry a full-size M&P40. In the summer months, I carry the M&P in either a high rise belt slide holster covered by a button up untucked shirt (1 size larger) or in a Blackhawk Serpa covered by a khaki outdoor style vest.

In winter months, I carry the M&P in a Serpa, covered by either a Cabela's bush jacket or a fleece jacket depending on how cold it is.

You can cover up a full size pistol, but you will have to adjust your wardrobe to do it successfully.

LoneArcher likes this.
  18. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I'm almost 6'8" and I was 340 lbs when I got my CPL last summer and currently about 295. I totally agree that a good belt is key. It's also very important on how your pants/shorts sit in relation to your spare tire. If your pants/shorts are riding high, your belt might be slanted. You might need to look into short or longer rise pants depending on body style. I know one big boy friend, during the winter/cooler months here in MI, he wears suspenders on his pants that he wears over his t-shirt but under his reg shirt to help control the spare tire with his gun belt.

I'll also state the obvious, get in shape. Most of us on are this site because we carry or want to be prepared for emergency situations and we want to have proper equipment to deal with a multitude of situations. Being in good shape is an important part of edc carry. Having a 15 lb BOB isn't worth much if you can't huff it a .5 mile under stress. If my fat butt can lose 45 lbs in 8 months, anyone can.

b.s. likes this.